1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever think to sculpt (even just once)?

Mar 3, 2014

1. I've tried sculpting heads before with very bad success. I've never been a modeller. I don't think I'd ever be able to make a doll!

2. In all honesty I thought of sculpting a doll on my own, but after my poor attempts at face ups, I have realised I'm maybe not made for it ;D
      But you guys.. I'm jealous of your passion, keep up!

3. I love sculpting heads. I just made one with a built in beard. Id like to get it casted soon.

4. ^ ...This pretty much sums it up for me exactly. xD;

I mean, I have come to more or less accept compromise rather than have nothing... or do mods when I can. It's mostly the size issue for me that's the killer... I find a decent sculpt for a character, but the proportions don't match those of other character dolls I have/want, therefore they would look strange together... Or else I find what I want, and it's the wrong size category altogether xD... Consistency is important to me, so yeah.

I am thinking of getting into sculpting though! Partly for this reason - so I can create whatever I want - but also just because it's something I've always wanted to try since I got into this hobby (maybe even before), whether I end up being any good at it or not!

5. I'm fine with sculpting, especially for realistic heads, and having results match my ever growing ability, it's locking joints that elude me so far.

Anyone can make a doll with practice and determination. You want to start in a comfortable size, most books suggest 14-18", but not get too emotionally involved with early attempts. It's a lot like making pancakes. Once you have one that works you'll know where to go with the next one.

6. Many times I find it a pain to find a head that matches an established character and so I've been seriously planning sculpting heads based on my drawings for characters I just can't find matches for... plus in general I like the idea of making full dolls and selling them... I mean if you have the skills and the drive why not :3

7. I tried sculpting a doll once. I was 16 and I sucked at it. I also didn't know much about it so I didn't get far at all.

8. I'd like to get into sculpting. I attempted to make a couple of heads, but they don't look great, though I am improving every time, so with a bit of practice I might get there. My bf wants lots of fairies hiding in the garden, so I can just use some cheap air dry clay and practice making them until I feel confident I can make something with proportions I like, and then work on making joints. The casting part I think will be the steepest learning curve for me, as so far the only casting I've done is life casting body parts with alginate and plaster, but that stage is a long way off, I need several months (years?) of practice with sculpting first I think!

9. I sculpt Fimo heads for Father Christmas dolls that I sell, but there is quite a bit I can get away with when most of the face will be covered in beard and mustache. They look really odd uncovered, but turn into kindly old gentlemen after they receive their facial hair. I want to try doing a full BJD myself from scratch, one that does not have to hide his or her face!
      I have done all the steps in various projects--sculpting, mold making, casting resin, painting.
      Time to bring them all together and see what happens!

10. I would absolutely love to try, but it wouldn't be a doll per se...

When it comes to humanoid doll heads, I see that there is so much amazing work out there already, I doubt I could do anything worthy or unique enough. But I would love to sculpt a 70cm-scale horse. Sometimes I lie awake at night thinking about joint systems and locks to support a dolls' weight on its back... stringing methods... which clays to use, as well as the cost of materials has been off-putting. It would have to be cast just for the individual pieces to withstand the pressure of being strung tight enough for any of my joint designs to be of any use. I feel like I get the concept of the process, but aside from a teeny bit of lost-wax pewter casting in high school, all I've ever done in the field of mold-making was to create some simple resin eye blanks for a taxidermy head. :sweat

I registered on The Joint, but I never got a confirmation email. I tried contacting someone about it, but there was no response, so... D:

Anyway, while cost and inexperience are huge factors to consider, sketching and plotting are free and I continue to do that until such a time as I'd be able to gather enough money and guts to tackle the project. :chocoberry

11. Yes I have thought about it. Looked at many lesson about doing it but I just don't think I have it in me.

12. Yes, but in fact it's almost impossible for me because of curly hands:)

13. I'm sculpting my own dolls because I wanted to try, and I really can't get attached to something I didn't made... (kinda strange, I know.) I made a human body and anthro parts (fox/cat like) and two heads, one that looks like a greek girl, the other is inspired by Noa from Sky.doll with big eyes and big mouth. I also made a little fox just to try and I'm quite happy with it. I molded the little fox but I'm so stressed with casting it ! I'll give it a try, when the rain will decide to stop...
      In fact, the begining is hard, even more when you don't have a doll to see how it works. But once you got the thing and understand how it works and so, it goes quite well and it's very addictive ! I started a mini doll but she doesn't have a face yet, I have two other dolls in mind and I hope I'll succed in making what I want.

14. I'm actually in the process of sculpting several dolls. ^_^
      For anyone getting into the process though: Start off with oil clay. Not only is it easy to work with but it's cheaper then air dry clays and there's zero waste because it's reusable. (After you've practiced and you decide you want to move on to other clays then cool beans. :3 )

I've nearly sculpted an entire body out of it already and rarely use anything else for my master dolls. If it gets too warm and squishy just pop it in the fridge/freezer or let it sit for a while. You can also work with really thick areas without either a)waiting a month for it to dry or b)waiting in between thin layers,and the pieces can be easily molded using plaster (also pretty cheap. Freezing the pieces before hand is helpful too). Then all you have to do is press in the clay of your choice and work out all the little fiddly stuff/fine tune the joints.

15. I haven't thought to sculpt a doll but a mask for BJD...I did! :) I tried to sculpt masks in SD size but failed because of my poor skill. Now I don't have any interest to try it again.

16. My first foray into sculpting dolls was, funnily enough, made before I knew what BJDs were... .___. when I was eleven/twelve. I still have the hollow head I did back then though it's nothing sort of spectacular. I'm just now getting back into it, though, and hoping I can get good enough to sculpt my own dolls...

17. I'd really love to be able to sculpt, and I made an attempt... but it was a big FAIL!
      I would like to try again sooner or later with more effort!

18. Yes I have, but it just exhausts me to think about all the work to make an entire body. Plus, I'm not the best at pretty faces, but am much better at gnomes and fantasy folk.

19. I do sculpting before but only faces. i recently stopped because im too busy with my job.

20. My dream doll is too expensive for me (she is an Enchanted Doll by Marina Bychkova), and I couldn't afford even a few cheaper options at the moment, so sculpting crept in as the next logical step to get such a doll. I tried to sculpt using several cheaper clays, and of course didn't get the result I wanted, but now I have bought a packet of Aves Apoxie Sculpt and finally can practice with a better material. I am very exited :) I have already made schemes of the body and how its parts will be connected, now it is a time for the most important part. I know I will not get an exact copy - and it's even better because I can work without fear of copying another artist, but I am very keen on trying to sculpt my first doll, keeping other bjds as a reference.