1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever think to sculpt (even just once)?

Mar 3, 2014

1. I also failed working with clay, which is why I used wood/cured resin instead.

2. I'd love to sculpt.:) Someday, I tell myself. Someday.

3. Already working on it.
      It's cheaper overall for me to make x amount of dolls an cast them several times from the same molds than it would be to buy those same amount of dolls from a company. I have an unfortunate tendency to like the more expensive sculpts. Plus this way I don't have to settle with what I find, I can make them exactly as I need them.

That said if I ever see a mass sale and I'm sitting on a pile of cash, I'm putting down the clay and hitting up the store. DIY is nice but time is not a renewable resource.

4. yes! when i get my bjd and get around to playing with her. I might totally sculpt a doll i love working with my hands and sculpting seems like a challenge i am willing to accept.

5. I tried sculpting once but it is wayyyy harder than I thought :p
      I already had a vision of what I wanted her to look like but somehow just couldn't make it happen...
      It takes talent & lots of practice... but it is really fun, I might try it again in the future!!!

6. I would love to sculpt a BJD of my own creation but I haven't tried it yet, and I get discouraged easily.
      I have a clear picture in my head of what I want it to look like but I have little sculpting experience. *_*

7. I've gotten to sculpting some anthro dolls, but neither are finished because I cannot figure out how to sculpt hands or feet :o

8. Oh,I love to sculpt and even studied sculpture. But to make BJD doll it takes a lot of time and effort.Hard hinged soedineniya. Therefore,I still prefer dolls from firms.

9. I really want to try, even if it would be just for myself and probably only a head. I have cast things in resin before so I would love the challenge. :)

10. Yes, i am planning to do so. And i have already bought the book that teach people how to make one

11. i thought about sculpting my own BJD but i don't think I'm particularly good at sculpting. I do however still see myself trying in the future. I am interested in sculpting in reference to modifying dolls though, like sculpting on larger, differently shaped chests/stomachs/bottoms.

12. The very first thing that I thought of when I saw the first pics of bjds on Pinterest, was how could I make one myself.
      I was so taken with the posability and beauty of the dolls. The joints were fascinating. Yes, I am considering looking seriously into the techniques and giving it a try. I checked the art doll association and looking at some, it appears some bjds start out as Ooak. I would consider trying first in porcelain clay, there is no waste and the surface can have any surface texture, it is delicate and fairly strong for what it is as it is fired at a high temperature. It takes detail very well, and can be fired with glazes or bisque fired, then given a face up and body blushing later. It is also a traditional doll material. The joints, ability to stand alone will most likely be my problems to solve. If it works out, then look into having something in resin. I will check out the joint site.

13. I have tried sculpting multiple times! In college, I made a life size doll with a cloth body and paper mache head. I also tried clay several times in my life, including an attempt at a BJD head. End results? Let's just say sculpting is not my strong point....:doh

14. I love sculpting! I have tried to make my own bjd, but used the wrong type of clay and had to scrap the project. The clay just didn't have enough strength. I'm going to have to try again, but this time with better clay. I will admit getting two hands and two feet to match is trying. I think this time I'm going to do an anthro as animals are easier for me.

15. I assume that everyone is wanting to try sculpting is to ultimately cast their efforts in resin. I have never cast in resin, but will go to the joint site and check it out. I have cast jewelry and small sculptures of silver and bronze using the lost wax method, and did a larger sculpture in wax and had a foundry cast and clean up it up for me. I have made small figures in low fire clay and wax, and made the molds out of silicon. I have made doll heads out of low fire clay, then made plaster molds of them for slip pours.

What has puzzled me is the number of folks who profess a desire to try making a bjd, I did not realize this would be something so many would want to do. I did find that so many said that they had no talent, or tried it once or twice or so, and when the effort did not pan out, they gave up. First, everyone has talent, that is part of being a human being, to be creative. Some people have practiced their skills, a long time, a lot, and you just do not see their failures. There is no magic to it, and no "Art Fairy" has come down to tap a lucky few on the head to give only them special talent. It is practice, practice, practice.

Start carrying a little sketchbook and felt tip pen, to be able to do quick sketches. If you cannot always do that, then draw in your mind, outline objects, or do comparisons, the top of this is level with the middle of that, the side of this lines up with that. Most of skill is observation anyway.

That being said, the mechanics is what I am going to have to work out, the joints and balance for standing. Yes, I want to ultimately cast in resin. Nevertheless, I also like other people's dolls and will continue to aquire and enjoy them.

16. Yess!! I have always been and artsy person and the thought of creating my own doll piece by piece is very exciting!

17. Will you try it? Will you check out the joint, link on this thread?

18. I did try, it was a unicorn, quite yo-Sd sized.
      Some parts were already made, like the head, hooves and partially legs, but with lack of times, I never made it.

I throw the parts years ago, but I'm still feeling to give a try to sculpting again, I think I'll stay with figures though.

19. As a daughter of an art sculptor (not dolls but statues) I have considered sculpting a head seriously. It would never result to a masterpiece or even close but probably it helps me to think what do I want my dolls to have.

20. I would love to sculpt one myself.. I work with polymer clay but am afraid that my skills aren't good enough to sculp a whole bjd..