1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever think to sculpt (even just once)?

Mar 3, 2014

1. I started working on my first sculpt last night. Going back to it today it looks funny. I didn't get to finish it in one sitting, so while the eyes and nose look good, the mouth just looks like a drawn on smile.

2. yes, i am actually planning on learning how to sculpt.

3. I like a lot of things that you don't see very often from companies (monsters, flaws, expressions, etc), so I've tried sculpting a head and am working on a body. It's something I want to get into, since I actually managed to make it look semi-decent.

4. I would like to try and sculpt but I just don`t have the time, it sounds really interesting though. I`ve considered it and have watched YouTube tutorials as well. I would definitely try it sometime, I would love to try and sculpt something whimsical like angel wings

5. I have sculpted a head and thought about doing an entire doll. I got distracted before I finished my head, but I hope to get back to it. Eventually I would like to make a whole bunch of heads. The bodies are a lot more complicated and need to function well. More work than I am interested in doing right now.

When I first got into the hobby, I thought about starting a doll company. There are so many companies out there now, that I think it would be tough to compete.

6. One of my neighbours has been encouraging people to sign up for a sculpting class that her friend is running so I've been thinking about it quite a bit lately because of that. Not having tried it before I don't know how it'll go, but I'm definitely giving it some serious thought now.

It's not specifically a doll-sculpting class, but it seems like a skill that would have a lot of transferable skills for that. We'll see how it goes!

7. I've been thinking about sculpting one of my characters because there aren't any realistic mature 1/8 scale bjds. I drew up a brief plan and have started on the head

8. I've thought about it for a while. Researced on how to go about it, and gave up after finding out how extensive it is to make a really good sculpt.. Maybe in future when I have a bit more time to spare.

9. As cool as it would be...? I have very little ability as a 3D artist. I wouldn't want to spend money on the tools for something I'm not great with!

10. I've made good progress in the past few months.. been working on two heads, a yo-sd-sized anime head and an msd-sized elf head. Still to early to think about sculpting professionally, but I'm happy to know I can do it. :)

11. I make lots of customs for toy and model related stuff, so I've given it lots of thought. I'm making a statue of a centipede/caterpillar girl based on a manga, and if that turns out well, I very well just might try turning her into a doll. Carve out a nice niche of animal and monster dolls like a more cutesy Doll Chateau. The market's in desperate need of a cute bee doll!

12. I've been wanting to sculpt one for a while.
      I do have some rather limited (I cannot stress this enough) experience with sculpting with both actual clay and sculpey.

So I guess for me... the biggest thing holding me back is fear due to my overall lack of experience with sculpting. The characters I'd like to make 3D are my babies so to speak. I put a lot of time and effort into making them the way they are. I know that I won't be able to find a BJD on the market to match them- I'm too picky when it comes to these guys so sculpting the BJD myself is the only way lol. So what if I go to sculpt them and then I make them look horrible?!
      I know it's a silly fear. I know that the only way to overcome it is to just go and do the thing... but it's easier said than done.
      Maybe I'll finally bite the bullet and just try to make it a thing I do this summer. XD

13. Definitely! I would love to learn to sculpt my own head and body. It would be amazing to make a canvas for my ideas instead of having to rely on choosing the right sculpts for my stories. I would like to practice for a while, I have experience with clay but not with actual sculpting. It is just another rabbit hole to go down in my crafting world.

14. I've certainly thought of it.... I have so much super old super sculpey in my drawers....

But sculpting frustrates me terribly. >_< like it's not the type of work I find enjoyable even when I suck at it like how I feel about drawing and painting.

15. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks sculpey is frustrating to work with. :|

16. Between sculpey and traditional clay, I have to admit that I enjoy the way clay feels in my hands far more than the feel of sculpey. However, between the two... I think that suclpey is just a bit more utilitarian.
      What do you prefer to work with in regards to sculpting?

17. I've been using oil-based plastiline. I'm a bit of a slow worker, so using a non-drying clay is a great way to work in my own pace, without losing any materials or unfinished pieces.

18. Oh, I've never worked with that stuff before.
      That certainly does sound like a very convenient material! :D I'll have to look it up!

19. I just get tired kneading it but then I don't sculpt often enough to feel like spending money on a kneading machine....

And no matter how short I cut my nails, I will dent the sculpture while trying to smooth it out. >_<

20. I always use Apoxie for any real sculpting. Use plenty of water and the meat of your fingers to smooth anything out, and build up in layers. Like to make a hand, start with a small circle, let it dry, then make the palm, let it dry, then add on the fingers, one at a time. Even if you don't smooth it all out the first time, you can sand it pretty easily. And since it's air drying, you can use bits of plastic or wire to help support it.