1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever wanted a popular doll just to 'fit in'?

Jan 11, 2010

1. Very simple answer: nope. I get the dolls I like. And I don't really mind how popular it is. And I don't particularly try to make my Akando (he's the more popular of the two dolls I got) stand out by all means. E.g. if I wanted to paint him as "The Crow" (from the Brandon Lee movie) I'd just do it. And never mind if there were already a dozen or so other Crow-Akandos around.

Mind you, I've been eyeing the Minifees, too. Especially Chiwoo. Might get one, one day. Or not. Right now, I got neither the space nor the money.

2. I've THOUGHT about it, but not seriously. Like "hmm, if I had a million dollars to blow..."

I'll admit it, it's crazy, but I actually don't like Volks all that much. But I mean, come on, it's VOLKS. It may not be on the top of my favorite company list, but I wouldn't mind having one as a kind of "homage to the hobby."

3. I haven't ever wanted one to 'fit in' but I will admit to having considered more popular dolls just because I am prone to getting caught up in the hype surrounding them.

I see a ton of awesome looking owner pics and people talking about how much they want ___ doll and I do sometimes end up wishing I had one, but I usually give myself time to calm down and think it through. Often that will help me decide if it's something I REALLY want or just something I'm temporarily obsessed with.

4. If a doll is popular/if I see it brought up a lot, I might look it up to check it out and see what all the fuss is about. But I'd never buy it to "fit in" or "join in the fun". I'd only get it if I genuinely liked it. Far too expensive for me to consider doing otherwise.

My dearest friend here has a lot of hooved minis and while I think they're slap adorable, I don't love them enough to get one for myself. It'd be a very-expensive toy that'd probably sit on my shelf while I played with the dolls that actually have a story to them. ^^; Maybe one day there will be a hooved dollie that says, "Hello, take me home." and I'll be in the position to get it too. (There was a beautiful Soom full-sized girl not too long ago that I have on my dreamy "maybe one day..." list, though.)

I suppose if money were not an object I might be more susceptible to the urge to buy a doll just on a passing fancy. But it'd never be to "fit in".

5. no, I don't buy dolls because I want to fit in, i buy them because I like them, and sometimes that means, it will be a popular doll, and sometimes not.
      But I buy them for me, not for others to like ;)

6. I only go for the dolls I like, the same way I pick the books I read: I stay away from the bestsellers (with the exception of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman) and give the underrated writers a chance. I try not to get caught up in the hype because fitting in has never been an issue with me. If the doll I fall for happens to be one that a lot of other people have, that's fine, and if not, then that's even better -- makes them more unique.

7. nope~ I won't get the doll unless they fit into my doll family/the character~

8. I agree with the sentiment that a doll is too much money to use to "just fit in". What if the fad passes and something else becomes a hot item?

Having said that, when a doll is popular I'm more likely to see it and think how much fun it would be to own one. Not because it's popular, but because I can get a good look at it and that there are many people I can talk to about that certain type of doll is a nice bonus. ^_^

9. I seem to be more drawn to heads released by single artists to be honest. Though, that being said, I have characters and all the dolls I get fit those characters. I adore my dolls and I have bought popular sculpts I thought I'd like and that would fit (Chrom for example) only to start seeing owner pics and realise he's not for me. As soon as he got here, I put his head up for trade because I just didn't have a vision for him anymore.

It just goes to show how much character I try to embody in my dolls. If they don't fit and I don't adore them, they're out the door. Why? Because I don't have the time or money to spend on dolls that I don't absolutely love and want to give attention to. That is how I have to feel about all my dolls to want to keep them.

That being said, I like unpopular dolls a lot, because theey're unique and they seem to fit my little quirky tastes - sure they don't get many views in the gallery and no one really knows about them, but I enjoy them and that's the main thing, right?

Though I really do love less popular sculpts, I love versatile sculpts as well, and whether they are popular or not, I'll give them a go to see if they will mesh well into my tastes and with my characters. If they do, they stay, if they don't I sell them.

10. I only buy the dolls that I fall madly in love with and if any of them turn out to be wildly popular, I'm always a little surprised.

11. My sentiments exactly. I have quite frequently gone and had a good long browse through a store because of dolls I've seen mentioned on DoA, but unless they have really appealed to me, I haven't considering buying them. Other peoples opinions don't really figure in my decision to get a doll.

12. No, not really. But seeing popular sculpts here does make me interested in the company in many cases. Fairyland is actually a very good example. I had looked at their site before but wasn't too excited about it. And while I still don't plan to get a MNF or anything else from them anytime soon, I can now at least see what people might like so much about the dolls, after taking a closer look. And I like to learn about different companies since it only helps me decide on what I really want for my own characters.
      There's not much to chose from if you don't know the variety out there, aye? ;)

Plus: I believe it's great owning popular dolls when you try to find people to just talk about your babes. For example, I don't think there's as many Monos like my Matty out there as there are .. ionno .. Shiwoos or Els or Chroms or whatever. Wanting to fit in is not automatically bad or pointless as long as you actually like the doll you get.

13. Being new to the hobby (since last summer) I have to admit that the popular dolls, or most commonly seen at meet-ups, have influenced my tastes. At first I thought the puki-pukis were stupid and overpriced, but the more often I saw (and played with) them, the more I liked them. Now I think they are fabulous, so poseable, so many customizable parts. I bought some hooves from DaisyDayes and can't wait to paint them and put them on.

So seeing dolls really helps me decide whether I like them or not. In Georgia the only way you can get up close and personal with BJDs is at meet ups, so I think it's natural that the "popular" dolls get more followers. I love to see what people do with their dolls, and how they look in different wigs and clothes. How they feel in your hands, their weight, how they pose.

Lately I have fallen in love with the Bambicrony elves, the older ones. I took a flyer on ebay and bought a limited Pepe, and I'm so glad I did. I have a Gun on layaway here at DOA, 6 more weeks to go and he should be mine.

As for the Minifees, I think they are beautiful sculpts (especially the elves) and I can see why the Ante is so popular. She is really gorgeous. The Shiwoo too.

Honestly, I also really like the Berdine Creedy sculpts. People make fun of me because they're "ugly" but I don't see them that way. They're kind of like bulldogs - you either love the look, or you don't.

Anyway, I don't think there is anything wrong with buying a popular sculpt, as long as you love it and it makes you happy. You'll make it your own, and no one else will ever have the *same* experience with it that you do.

Love to all BJDs!!

:)

14. There is typically a reason that popular dolls are popular. And why there are repeat buyers! So there may be a reason to look twice at a doll/company to see what all the fuss is about. This is how I came to love Supia and migidoll products. However, when it comes down to actually buying it, I do plenty of window-shopping first and follow my heart.

15. choosing a doll is as for me too personalthing ^^ maybe it sounds serious, but if I don't like the doll i don't spend this f. huge money on her. Either she is popular or not. I have to be satisfied at my choise in 100%. As for me, the doll has to have this something in herself, be just amazing for me, so that when I first saw her I fell in love and know that this is it ;). But of course the company is important too, as not to be dissapointed about the quality or sth like that.

16. but unfortunately lot of people buys the dolls which are popular, thought.

17. No :o

actually, I hope this comment doesn't offend anyone, but I dislike most of the popular dolls around.
      You gave MNFs as an example; I really don't find their sculpt.. attractive, even though with the right faceup and accessories they can look pretty nice... But that's true for practically any BJD.

I'll buy a doll only after a lot of research and after making sure I absolutely love the sculpt. Never to "fit in"!

18. I really have never given a damn whether the doll is popular or not, I like a doll because I like it, not because other people say they do too. I find that most of my dolls are popular with those who get to see them, even if they are unusual

19. I've never bought a doll because it's popular or to fit in. I take my time researching and thinking about a bjd before actually buying. Most of my bjds were purchased on the secondary market so I would have well and truly missed being 'in the trendy group'.

20. Buy what you love. No matter what it is, buying something to suit everyone ELSE's tastes rather than your own is bound to end in disappointment... That's just the nature of the beast... So it's smarter not to do it.

As for my own collection, I've always stuck to that rule and it's served me pretty well. I may own a fair few "overly popular" sculpts, but they found their way here because I, like a lot of other people, actually liked them. ^_^