1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever wanted a popular doll just to 'fit in'?

Jan 11, 2010

1. I only buy what I like, and as of now, pretty much all of my wishlist is pretty hard to find on this board, but that doesn't bother me. I love them for their uniqueness, and since half of them don't have their own galleries yet in the database, I look forward to starting them! You shouldn't go for a doll just because it's popular- I bought a MNF Shiwoo head I thought I'd be nuts over and realized that not only do Shiwoos not fit into my collection's style, but I don't really like the other MNF sculpts for the same reason. Interesting eh? So basically, just go with what you're sure you'll love- and don't worry about what other people have.

2. No. I only buy the sculpts that fit my characters. If the doll doesn't work, I won't buy it. Simple as that.

There are many dolls I love but won't buy. I would also never purchase a doll just because it is a popular sculpt (or from a popular company). I dance to the beat of my own drum! ;)

3. Have I ever gotten or thought about getting a doll just to "fit in" or "join the fun"?

No.

4. Buying a popular doll wouldn't be enough to make me fit in, I'd still be a dork/uncool/idiot/whatever I am. XD I've never in my whole life been a 'fit in' type of person, so I don't worry about it and buy/do/say what I want. ^_^

Raven

5. I've never bought anything just to fit in. I wouldn't start with my dolls.

6. I really doubt that a certain sculpt is "popular" in the conventional/social sense of the word (ie. people jumping on the bandwagon to follow a trend). As some members have pointed out usually there is a reason for the popularity -- the sculpt is versatile, the body is well designed, the doll is simply drop-dead gorgeous... so naturally this attracts buyers, as they can do many different things with that particular sculpt.

At first I eschewed the "popular" dolls because there is a strong part of me that wants to be unique and distinct (I'm sure many others can say the same!). But after a while, I went back to look at those dolls and the companies that make them -- CP/Fairyland, Dollshe and Volks in my case -- and started to realize why they were popular. It's largely for those reasons above (sure there may be an element of "jumping the bandwagon" but I think it's of no consequence). Now I'm starting to appreciate those popular sculpts; I've looked at many of them, admired the variety of styles and appearances their owners have achieved, and contemplated what I could do with them, how I could make, say El, unique to me.

But as far as aesthetic pleasure and owning a doll is concerned, I follow my own tastes and preferences. Thinking about how I can make El uniquely mine is a fun mental exercise, but I won't get him because I have no reason to. *grin*

7. While I'd never, ever buy a doll because it's popular (must suit character, too expensive for that, etc) I've looked at the popular dolls just to see what all the fuss was about. If one did appeal to me perfectly, then sure, I'd get it, but I'd never buy it because it's popular.

8. No, I would never buy a doll because it is popular. That being said, I own a very popular mold, but I bought it solely because I love the sculpt itself and would love it regardless of popularity.

9. If it makes you happy to join in the crowd, then by all means you should.

But what makes me happy is finding a sculpt I really love and customizing it to be my own.

If it fits both, all the better.

But I think I kind of get sick of seeing the popular molds, so I tend not to get them for myself because I can enjoy them plenty through others.

10. This does not appear to be a common phenomenon.

I think the more interesting question is: why do people worry about it?

11. Simply can't afford to buy dolls just cos of their popularity :P I carefully pick from list of dolls I luv so much ^^

12. Because people crave attention, maybe? I'm sure there are a few people out there who, for example, see that every thread with pictures of mold X gets tons of comments, and they want people to leave them comments, so they associate having that doll with getting comments.

13. Really? Then where are these people? Is this like the Fermi paradox? If there are so many people like this to warrant a worry-thread about them, then where are they?

14. O_o

Power to the people who have hundreds of bucks to toss on some comments from people they don't know.

Edit, to clarify: Yes, I believe these people probably exist somewhere.

15. I wouldn't buy a doll unless I really liked it...sometimes I have bought a doll (not bjd's) that I liked, but did not grow attached to, so they moved on to other collectors who liked & bonded with them. But buying a bjd because of its popularity? Nope. I think that is why I have one bjd right now...I am torn between a puki and an anthro and an SD sized doll...so budget is my biggest concern when I am choosing the doll, so I'd better like it!

16. Pretty much the same sentiments as other posters. I just like what I like. If the doll is pretty or I like the sculpt then I will buy it.

The same goes for rare/limited/one-offs. I won't buy them just because they're popular/rare, etc.

So, yea, as long as I like it and I have the budget for it, I will buy it!

17. Never! I like having dolls people don't have such as limiteds and then hybrid-ing them to make that that much more unique. I also love modding. I like knowing that my doll is litterally one of a kind.

18. Yes. Or rather, to clarify, I have at times wished I wanted a popular doll. Not necessarily to be "popular", but rather because at times it does seem as though there isn't something I'm seeing in these popular sculpts that so many adore. There are many popular dolls out there such as the Soom MDs, many Volks LEs, quite a few CP sculpts, etc., that while I can appreciate their beauty, I don't particularly see anything breatheless about them, and with all the crazy attention they get, I sometimes get the idea that I may have poor taste in artwork.

But then I look at my own boys and realize I probably just have better ;)

19. I will get a popular one if I like it. Hey! I am one of those who got a MNF Shiwoo! Talk about popular! XD

I did not buy him becaue he was, I bought him because he was what I was looking for and from what I could hear MNFs are awesome! And I got to agree! Now that I have one I can also say they are just great =3

If it were another doll that was popular, I would still have went for the Shiwoo, but I would have looked at the popular one since a lot of people would have been discussing about it a lot ;3

I did get a Soom becasue I wanted to be appart of the Soomed gang though.... but more becasue I really like them then the others part XD

I'd still love and get them even if they were not in the pupolar section ;P

20. I never wanted a doll to fit in as your title topic said, but I know I ever wanted a Volks, because it seem so popular and the mold are also lovely, I will not say is that to be like the other but I found the Volks Megu so pretty and it make me want one so bad, I started in the BJD world and I wanted one but they were so expensive, and I was saying thats crazy why are they so expensive. But now im more into BJD stories and everything and I know that some mold are rare and everything. Owning a rare doll make me feel really great xD In my opinion just saying that my doll is a volks make her precious xD

But I will never buy a doll if its popular and I find it ugly ^^'