1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever wanted a popular doll just to 'fit in'?

Jan 11, 2010

1. I only want dolls that I like, which tend to be not as popular but that is ok. I would rather have a less popular doll.

2. I don't even really pay attention to what is popular. I know the small dolls are really popular now, but I only noticed that because I see them everywhere and I do not like them at all (no offense meant.) I know certain brands are popular but I can't recognize them on sight, I just see dolls. I would never buy ANYTHING because it was popular, let alone these dolls. Sorry if I sound rude, it's late here.

3. I must say I don´t know for sure what is popular in doll community. Is it what all people would like to have but many haven´t, or what many do own? Anyways it sounds really odd to think choosing doll by popularity or to fit in group. For me that kind of behaviour sounds like something that teenagers which are unsure of themselves and willing to be part of something & become accepted to the group would do in general, but still it doesn´t fit for the idea of this kind of doll hobby.

I own many small dolls and it seems that nowadays there´s a lot of people liking them, but when I fell for Littlefee Ante, it was when they released the doll - in that time nobody had them yet. I am 100% sure that the beautiful first owner photos made me so certain for wanting this wonderful doll for myself, but I never thought about the popularity. Actually, I was rather thinking will other doll owners be offended if I buy similar one. ;) I had the vision that uniqueness is important in this hobby and wanted to be sure my little one wouldn´t look too much like any already existing doll. :) As Cimorrene just said above, Ante must be the most popular mold yet, but that only shows that she´s the adorablest ever. :D

Dolls I own are somewhat rare, specially in my country (many of them are only ones of their kind in here), but in DoA the tiny dolls are very common. I find it actually nice that here is sort of doll community; I enjoy very much the chatty Fairyland Tiny threads with talk and cute photo spam. For example with Domadoll cuties I would like to get more people activated to talk about them. :)

4. Yes, I really wanted a Luts El to "fit in" at one time, but I decided I could not get over those puffy chipmunk cheeks :P
      I still want a Luts boy though!!! ^^

5. No way, I'd never buy a certain sculpt just to fit in with people that have the same doll. I'd only buy a doll that I really wanted. If I ever did buy a doll for that reason, it would probably find itself quickly rehomed. Sometimes I'll see a certain mold that belongs to someone else and think 'wow that doll looks great, I'll have to find the site' but that's just because I like the doll, not because someone else has it.

6. Nope. Never even the slightest desire.

7. Nope, I purchased my guys and girls strictly because I liked the sculpt, poseability or a combination of both. I would never purchase a BJD just because it was popular...I could have the least popular sculpt in the world...if I liked it, why should it matter?

8. Not my kind of stuff D:
      Specially since what most people tend to like... is not really my thing D:

9. this is some thing that has been bothering me for some time now. there is no doll in specific I have been wanting because its "popular" but I feel (especially in Tampa it seems) this constant pressure to own an SD (or bigger). when you go to meets, the SDs seems to be what get the most attention and appreciation, which bothers me a lot, because I really like the MSD size, and that seems to be ... not so popular.

10. I fell in love Luts KDF Bory and it was so weird when I realized that he was so popular. I had a present notion of what dolls I wanted before I joined the forum and a lot of those seem to be quite popular amongst the board, and to tell you the truth it turns me off from buying them.

11. i hope no one thinks i'm hopping on the MD Ryu bandwagon...at first i wasn't a fan of the mold, but after awhile he kinda grew on me, not even realizing he was so popular! D8

12. if I cared about fitting in I wouldn't have dolls lol

13. I think that trending and fads are something that generally exist in many hobbies, not only doll collecting. I've never liked anything just because it was popular or, vice versa, simply because it was rare. In some ways, that can be a trend too...to like something because it's rare and more difficult to acquire. For me, being involved with ABJDs is expensive, so I don't really find myself wanting anything because it's super popular or super rare. There are a lot of popular sculpts I don't like and there are also a lot of rare ones that I don't like.

I love what I love because the sculpts appeal to me aesthetically and fit characters that I have in mind. Everyone has their own tastes. I wouldn't try to persuade someone to not get a doll (e.g. even if their intent was to "fit in") because that's their own business and their own money.

14. Actually, the popularity of a doll can totally turn me off... it makes me feel like I'm unoriginal or something, even if I know that, that is totally absurd. @____@ Something about beautiful, under appreciated dolls appeal to me. But if I really do love a mold, the popularity or lack thereof would never stop me!!! Zaoll luv, for instance. It's a pretty commonly owned doll, and girl to boy mods of them are common as well, but I still love the mold. I am getting a dreaming luv though, which is new so not many own one yet. > u< That kinda makes me feel really happy, knowing he'll be an unpopular mold for a while. PLUS- he may be one of the first girl to boy dreaming luv mods! :D <3

15. I think "to join in the fun" isn't a bad reason to do something, really. >3< (It's a great way to try new things you might not do just by your own choice.)
      I want a Minifee too, and I think it will be fun to be able to talk about them with so many other people. All the other dolls I want are almost nonexistent. OTL

16. No! If I were buying a "popular" doll just to fit in, I think it would be a waste of money.

Also, I tend to get bored of the dolls that are really popular... so if I did have one, they might not stay long. I buy dolls based on which ones I like personally.

17. More like the opposite for me, actually. I really wanted to get a Luts Delf El and KDF Bory but aghh... after wards I found out that they're such popular sculpts and so many people seem to have an El that it makes me not want to get him afterall... I was looking at pictures of all the Els and lol I found myself getting tired of seeing it... >.> I'd make my doll unique somehow anyway, though. I still want him... just not that badly I guess.

18. The thought may cross my mind (ie: everyone seems to have a Soom, maybe I should get one). But then I know, that they haven't come out with any 'must have' dolls for me yet so I don't have one. I know it's not a reason to spend that kind of money. Plus, thats not how I want to fit in, I want to be myself. ^^

I don't really care if my dolls are popular or not, they are mine and I love them.

19. The dolls I like the most tend to be popular. It might be because many people consider them conventionally beautiful, and are more often than not limited. However, I wouldn't think twice about buying a doll no one else seems to have if it's really attractive to me. I don't care if my popular doll looks different from other peoples' or not, as long as he's pleasing to me.