1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever wanted a popular doll just to 'fit in'?

Jan 11, 2010

1. No. I wouldn't know who I would be fitting in with anyway. lol Nobody I know in my personal life collects dolls except for me.
      And on the forums, here, well it's actually the opposite. It seems like everybody in the Fairyland threads have at least one ante, and I have two, so I very rarely post pictures of them since soooo many pictures of that particular doll are already posted constantly.
      Do I try to make my dolls different? Well, no. I buy dolls if I like the dolls. It's just as simple as that. Hehe.

2. Like many other people have said, I just buy dolls I like. I can definitely see the appeal of having a popular sculpt though. It allows you to see so many different ideas with one sculpt. It's also nice to know that if you ever need or want to sell your doll, it wouldn't be difficult to find a buyer. ^^

3. Actually yes, in a wierd kind of way I have. :sweat

I found it with Pukis. When puki-puki dolls first came out everyone seemed to be getting them, and they just looked like so much fun! :) I really wanted one, but had no money at the time to spend on them. I was gutted about it, but it turned out to be for the best- I mean, even though my housemate has one (and they really are as much fun as they look) they don't fit with my other tinies, and I am happier sticking to Banjis.

Still, I did want one becuase other people had them. It's never happened with any other dolls, though.

4. I almost did one day. >_<
      I almost bought a limited doll so i would seem to be popular.
      AND THEN I HIT MYSELF IN THE FACE!
      That was a stupid idea....why do i care to be popular?
      Then i bought a BB Kay XD

5. No, in fact I tend to be turned off by things that are popular. Of course if I happen to fall madly in love with a doll that is rather popular, I wouldn't let deter me from buying it. As of now all my dolls seem to be slightly less popular molds, so I enjoy that quite a bit.

6. No, definitely not. I do like to make jokes about my "BJD blasphemy," though, since I don't really like Volks that much. xD

7. they don't make the Rozen Maidens anymore
      I dislike them :P!
      on that basis lol

8. Ah, no way, man! I work so hard to earn the money I do, and it takes me a good year or so to earn enough, I have to make a careful decision, and buying a doll just to fit in would be a big mistake on my part! I have to make careful decisions, and sometimes it drives me crazy, but I always get the ones that I love, never thinking about popularity.

9. Nope, definitely not. Neither of my current dolls appear to be that popular right now and I love them completely. Honestly most of the dolls I see people going gaga over that are apparently popular tend to have me going 'Huh? You like that? Why?!' so yeah, that's not the way I do things.

I buy the doll that pleases me. I can't afford to just buy a doll because I want to fit in. And honestly I DON'T want to fit in. I've never been one for fitting in and doing as others do. It's just not me. Plus with how much some of the dolls cost, I'd be bankrupt ten times over trying to buy a doll just to be like everyone else.

Most of the dolls I adore the most, are dolls that don't seem to be around this site much, most people seem to dislike, or are just plain slightly odd in some way. It's more fun that way. I like to be different. XD

10. Definitely not - I don't have the money for that even if I thought it were a good idea. I buy dolls that I like - I don't care if other people dislike them. My dolls are for me, not them!

I don't really pay attention to whether or not the dolls I'm getting are popular, or whether or not they stand out from the crowd. I have specific characters to base my dolls on so I'm more concerned with that than being original.

11. No, I wouldn't get a doll unless it really suited my taste, regardless of popularity. I have several very unpopular dolls. I've had friends post pictures of their dolls and I might find them very cute, but I won't buy a doll just because my friends like them. For instance, many of my flickr friends have many Lati yellows, and while I like seeing their pictures they aren't exactly what I am looking for to go in my own collection. I do have a Lati green, and they certainly aren't to the same level of popularity as the yellows, but greens are the size/maturity I prefer in my own collection.

12. No, I don't care if my dolls are popular, or if I fit in or not. Never have. As long as like them, I'm happy. :D

13. So recently I noticed there are a lot of Minifees on the board. I thought 'Ooh maybe I should buy one to join in on the fun!' And it led me to the question, Is that really a valid reason for buying a doll? Not because you particularly admire that sculpt, just because 'everyone else has one!'
      It's not a good idea, of course. BJDs are expensive. Even if you decide to sell later, it's probable that you won't get all your money back (or maybe you can, but it takes time and effort to sell). Basically, popular dolls come and go, but you'll have the doll longer--or not--but you SHOULD try and buy a doll you absolutely like for itself only so that it WILL last a long time with you.

So have you ever though about getting a doll or even gotten a doll based solely on its popularity? And if you do have a popular doll, do you try and make it your own to stand out from the crowd?
      While I can get caught up in the excitement about a new or popular sculpt... I really can't afford to easily drop hundreds of dollars on a doll, so I really make myself think about it. I tell myself that I must like absolutely everything about the doll--as if it were the only doll I could ever buy and I needed to make it count! That helps me from going crazy and making impulse purchases.

So, in short, no I have not ever bought a doll only because it was popular.

I DO have a ton of popular doll sculpts. I guess my taste runs the same as a lot of other people! But I don't INTEND to choose dolls that way... it just happens! *_*

14. I don't think that popularity should be the sole reason for purchasing a doll, you won't get enjoyment out of something you buy that you have no real attraction or attachment to. That said, I think popularity can be potentially helpful in deciding between a dolls that you do already like, in terms of quality or even future resale or partial sales.

15. haha, with me, i'm such a noob to the community that i don't know which molds are more popular than others XD
      so no, i don't get popular dolls just 'cause everyone has one.
      in fact, there is another gorgeous doll i'm dying to get, and i don't think many people have even heard of the company :)

16. Well no because I was always the one who tried my best to be different. If people got the popular dolls and they weren't the ones they wanted then what's the point. :(

17. No, if any of the dolls I own happen to be popular, it's by accident. I don't really care if a doll is popular or not--the only important factors are do I like the sculpt, will it work for any of my characters, and can I afford it. I can see where it's possible to get caught up in the excitement if a lot of people are really enthusiastic about a particular doll, however, if a sculpt doesn't meet my personal criteria, it won't work for me in the long run. The best way to avoid disappointment is to concentrate on what you like and need in a doll and not what other people are into.

18. I buy what I like, I only have two boys, both Hounds so I guess I loved him enough to buy a second... :) Trust me, when I was looking for them I kinda wished they weren't so popular so I could find them easier and cheaper! I agree, buy what you like....even if it means taking the time to save up.

19. There isn't a shred of hope for me to fit in, so there you are.

20. Spending that much money towards a doll, I would never base wanting it on something as trivial as mold popularity. I don't care how popular the mold or company is, it should be all about the doll rather than popularity.