1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever wanted a popular doll just to 'fit in'?

Jan 11, 2010

1. In short, no.

I, having limited funds, cannot afford to buy a doll that I'm not absolutely in love with and, I just happen to fall in love with sculpts that are less "popular" than most (I am, by no means, saying that I wouldn't buy a popular doll just because of it's popularity though if I really loved the sculpt).

There is, however, one major upside I can see to owning a more popular doll and that is this: Having previously owned an SD sized doll with uncommon measurements (and having searching for proper fitting pants or shoes seeming like the quest for the holy grail), it would be a relief to go to the majority of BJD websites and be able to buy a pair of jeans or something without having to worry if they'd fit, or being able to commission something and having the seller be able to fit their own doll and knowing that since they had the same more "popular" doll that you do, the fit would be almost perfect.

Oh boy, I hope that made any sort of sense... Tired typing.

Apologies for being long-winded as well.:sweat

2. Never.
      If I fall in love with a doll is because of the sculpt, not because of the popularity.
      There are a lot of doll types and sometimes the most popular dolls are not the prettiest.
      Everybody likes different things, so I choose what I like ^^

3. Totally agree with ~A*K~ !
      I know Suiseiseki is popular but that's not what gotten me to choose her as my dream doll..it's because her chubby face that no doll will beat her..

4. I don't think it's ever a good idea to buy any doll just because it's popular. These dolls are too expensive and too much of an investment to waste any time on one that isn't really the one you want. As much fun as it can be to share pics and stories with other owners of the same girl or boy, it's only because you truly love your doll that makes it so much fun.

However, I do think that there are sculpts that are popular for a reason; usually because they are great posers or they are super versatile or really high quality. And as someone else has said previously in this thread, that can definitely be a good reason to give them a second look, BUT still do so only if the doll appeals to you personally.

Another advantage offered by some of the more popular dolls is that there is usually an abundance of information about them and pics of them. I have found that to be very helpful when I'm choosing a doll. But again, that is only relevant if you like the doll to begin with.

5. I've had moments where I've considered it. Not a particular sculpt, though, but a large male doll.
      But I won't. I wouldn't like it, and I know it'd be a waste of money.

6. Cost of doll aside, I think it would be a pity and a waste if you buy a doll just coz it's popular and ended up not loving him/her as much as you should. I rather spend my money, time and love on a lesser popular doll that I absolutely love. That aside though, sometimes it is really hard to find pictures and information on lesser popular dolls, and sometimes I do end up wondering what is it about these dolls that make them so unpopular (looks? quality? etc??) So in sort, a popular doll can act as some sort of "quality assurance" lol, although this doesn't necessarily mean that it will be your type of doll.

7. No I would not, because I can't afford buying dolls on a whim. However, a big part of the popular dolls is the amount of owner pictures showing different angles, styles, and possibilities for a sculpt. Some companies are less popular, and have less owner pictures, and because these dolls are so expensive I need a lot of reassurance of beauty and potential before I buy. If a very unpopular sculpt has very few, low-quality owner pictures, I admit that it will discourage me even if I thought I loved the sculpt before.

8. I think initially, the popularity could be what started me off on looking at certain dolls in different angels. Owner photos show a great variety of potentials in most dolls. So maybe I was swayed into buying a few dolls in my collection because the owner photos of these dolls were drop dead gorgeous and fitted my taste.

I would say that popularity contributed minutely to my purchase decisions. It just starts me off looking at more photos, before contenting with the idea of owning one myself.

So.... without skirting around the answer any further, No, I don't think I've bought a doll just to fit it with the crowd. Besides, every doll is unique, regardless the sculpt, so it still had to fit my personal taste before anything else.

9. No, but I tend to buy a lot of dolls that become popular, or are on the upswing. There are a lot of DZ BB Jings out there, and a lot of Luts Yders, and DZ Mo's. None of them are super limited, but I just fell in love with the molds. I chose my doll first, based on its aesthetic, and then I work a character around it (I think this is the opposite of a lot of people). It works nicely!

10. While I see a lot of dolls I like, there are few that I really love. And given the price of bjds and the fact I don't have a lot of money to waste, I would only buy something I really loved and could work with creatively.

11. i prefer buying dolls I like, if they fit in fair enough, but i like looking at other dolls and seeing how i can improve my own and what I can do with them and which ones I wanna buy next ^_^

12. I don't think you need a 'popular' doll to fit in here... I think you will find somewhere to fit in by having any (on-topic lol) BJD :) I seem to always gravitated unintentionally to less popular sculpts anyway and I'm not going to spend money on something I don't like!!

13. Definitely not....I can't afford buying such pricey things that I honestly don't want....:sweat

I'm not really the type of person to care about fitting in or owning something just because it's popular. I'll only buy/save up for a BJD if I truly want it.

14. Nope. A majority of doll owners I know seem to practically worship Volks, but Volks dolls have features that I'm not really partial to, like for example School A has a really wide mouth imo. I do understand why people are attracted to them, they are gorgeous in their own way, they just don't strike a chord within me.

15. Not really. I buy the dolls I like. Simple as that (:

16. Yes, I actually bought a puki just to fit in, but realized I didn't care for her and I sold her within a month. I Have never done it since. Now I only buy a doll if I see it and think, "I HAVE to have that!!"

17. Most popular dolls are popular for a reason. Personally (to use your example), I find minifee's to be great, and many others agree. But I didn't get mine because everyone else did.
      I feel for it by myself, and love it for myself and not for anyone else. I could never spend 500 dollar just so other people will like me.
      Sure, this hobby is very community directed, but there's other ways to 'fit in'. And canceling the comunity out isn't a bad thing either. I couldn't take anyone seriously if they had bought a doll just because it was popular. People need to think for themselves, not about how others will feel about them. Get the dolls you like, not the ones everyone else likes.

18. Well I'm waiting for some funding to magically turn up in my bank account to get my first doll... I saw him and knew I had to buy him no matter what..... even now I don't know how popular he is... And to be honest I don't really care! :)

19. no. i might want a doll lots of other people have but thats only because i get to see the doll pull off so many different looks that i think it could pull off a look i would want for it

but if your looking for a doll to try and fit in with the doll community i think you would actually be better off getting a less popular doll. the best dolls (well, for me anyways) are the ones that stick out! it doesn't have to be a less popular mold. it could be one of the most popular molds as long as its different. but to anyone who is wanting to fit in with the community i dont think buying a certain doll is the way to go persay.

20. about fitting in in different way.

One day I would like to get Volks Masha - this is a well-known mold in dollfie world and this doll has my name (!) so when I started to search about dolls I thought this is a great chance "to fit in" :) that's a bit stupid, but I also like this doll very much... Normally I don't shop "to fit in", but Masha will be my exception :)

...and it's completely doesn't matter how popular, limited, hard-to-get she is!