1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever wanted a popular doll just to 'fit in'?

Jan 11, 2010

1. Nope. I'm kind of sentimental over my toys even my teddy bears. I choose them because I love them and not necessarily to get the more popular brands. I don't mind being left out in meets or such as long as I have my dollies whom I love so much.

2. No, if I get a popular doll it's beacuse I like it and not because a lot of people have them.
      I do think it's easier to fall for a popular doll because there's so many pictures on them with a lot of variety.

3. i say only buy it if You love it!! :D

4. I'll buy a doll, popular or not, if it "speaks" to me. I don't care if it is the latest trend or fad. I also tend to keep my dolls. Once I have them, I keep them forever. So I like to be very sure it's a doll I'll want forever. That being said, I do think some people like to be the "first" with the latest doll...and my observation is they are also the ones that jump from doll to doll based on what's popular at the time. To each his own, I suppose, but that's not for me.

5. No. I buy dolls based off of if I like the sculpt or not. I don't feel left out if it doesn't make me fit in. If it's not popular I see myself as more original. If it is I'm just one of the throngs of people loving that beautiful girl or boy. I don't think 'fitting in' is a good reason to invest this much on a doll. Get what you love, not what you just kinda like.

6. *all 'you's' are 'general you's'*
      I think there are two parts to this; buying popular dolls, and buying a doll just to associate with certain people.

Well I own a few "popular" dolls LTF Ante, Puki Cupid and Pong, PKF Bonnie, Leeke Soda; as well as some lesser-known ones. I didn't know they were popular when I bought them! (my Ante was from the 1st LTF preorder lol!) I think that if a doll is "popular" more people take photos of it, more people see it, more people want it, the more people have it; it's a cycle. I think FL dolls do this so well! xD More publicity = more popularity (at least I think so). I know I've bought some dolls because I like others so much I want my own to customise myself (the: "OMG so cute! * 3* I want one too!!" effect) But is that the same as getting a doll to fit in? To join a certain group of owners, so you can post your own cute photos of your cute doll too? Maybe, maybe not. You get the doll because you like it, you like it because you've seen it again and again styled in a way that appeals to you (be it faceup, clothing ect) and you want to share your doll with other enthusiasts who also like that doll too.

Now have I bought a doll specifically to "fit in" with a certain group? Not as such, but I will openly admit that I have problems with my self esteem and have few friends :sweat, so I put a lot of weight on their thoughts/opinions. I tend to associate with owners of certain sizes or companies that I like for my own personal preferences; and I think if you hang around with people who own a certain type (or size) of doll, you might eventually want one too; maybe not to "fit in" with your friends, but because you also end up liking that certain sculpt/style/size, and you like the people too.

So in the end, I buy my dolls because I like them and so I can also share them with the people I like. :)

7. Nope. If anything, I actually tend to deviate from popular dolls if solely because I see them so much and there is nothing new for me to see. That being said, I'm not implying that I only go for unpopular dolls either. I go for what I like and if it is hyped or largely disliked, then so be it, because I like it. I absolutely can't justify shelling out hundreds of dollars on a certain doll simply because I want to be well-received by my peers. If I want a popular doll, it better well be because I want it..!

8. Not to fit in, persay, but I did choose one of my wishlist dolls over the others because I wanted to join in the BBB/RS mini thread, which I'd been lurking in forever. I love their scuplts, and I'd wanted one for a while, but really the thing that tipped me to my Li instead of getting a Doll Chateau or 5Star is that I really wanted to join in the fun there. Okay, that, and I get a pretty purple girl who I adore for less money than the others. >.>

I don't think there's anything wrong with that sort of thing, as long as you love the doll anyway. Like... if I had no interest in the sculpt, but got her to join in the thread, that would be silly.

9. I'll only buy a doll if I like it. This hobby is too expensive to buy dolls just because they're popular.

10. I'm not really one for fitting in, and when I ordered my MNF, I loved her for her sculpt and her faceup. I didn't know then that MNFs were quite popular. I just love their sculpts and how different each sculpt can look with different faceups. Fairyland has a lot of sculpts that appeal to me and seem to fit the image of my characters I have in mind. There are also underrated dolls I like a lot that I would like to have in the future. I would always buy a doll because I loved it personally, not because it's popular. I searched tons of owner pics of tons of dolls before I settled on my MNF, and to be honest, I don't see many Ryeon's out there. :)

11. This hobby is a little to expensive for me to be wanting dolls just to fit in. I'm also a little too picky for that. so I just stick around things that I like. :)

12. The last thing on my mind EVER is "fitting in." I'm certainly not going to spend this kind of money on something just because others have it... If I actually like it, then I'll get it, and a lot of consideration goes into the molds I add to my wishlist.

Honestly, I tend to be repelled from a lot of the popular molds...mainly because if you see them enough...you get tired of it. The molds I want, I haven't seen a lot of, so the novelty hasn't run out. But molds like CP El... yeah, he's cute, and I've seen him in some awesome styles... but I see no reason to own one myself because I've seen him so much that... I'm not interested anymore.

13. I used to feel bad when I went to conventions and meetups.
      Because I felt like my dolls didn't have the 'wow' factor.
      It wasn't my dolls brand or mold, I guess it was because I didn't have any nice clothes yet.
      But then I realized, Im not in it to please other people. I got my dolls for me to enjoy.
      I can understand buying a doll to fit in though, because everyone likes that bit of attention.
      Its nice to have something people want. But for me, I just want what I want! :)

14. I don't go to meets and I also don't know anyone I'd have to impress, so no. I don't think I'd even do that if it was the case. And like many others have said: the hobby is too expensive to buy dolls just to impress someone, dolls you might not even love.

15. Like people before me have said, I usually shy away from overly popular sculpts, because...gosh, so many people have them, it's not that interesting anymore and won't be able to be as unique.
      That said, I do like them and want one myself, but usually I just choose on wether I like them or not. I think most of the dolls I currently own and that are in my wishlist are not popular sculpts...

16. Delf's are [or were] very popular when I first started in the hobby, but I really love alot of the sculpts, some not so much, but others I indeed do. Which they're also commonly owned, but like I saw someone say earlier, the thing that attracted me to those sculpts are their versatility. I wouldn't go online see a whole bunch of dolls that were commonly owned and say 'I want them cause they're popular' But if you like them and they just happen to be popular, go for it because you like them.

17. I think that I would feel verry little with this sort of doll. When I want a mold, is just for me and my pleasure, not for anyone else. It's a pity to feel obliged to buy to be "fashionable". And fashion is always changing ^^. There is not any interest to buy this sort of mold for this reason for me.

18. I'm not interested in "popular" things, just buy or do what I really like, and it's the same with dolls :) these dolls cost so much, it could be an expensive mistake to buy a BJD just because it's becoming popular.

19. Ehm... to fit in? No. But I do have a popular doll or two right now; namely my KDF Bory and incoming MNF Shushu. In all seriousness, there are so many Borys around that if I wanted to shy away from popular sculpts I'd have to avoid him at all costs, but no. I just had to like HIM out of all Luts dolls. Same for my Shushu. I love both of these dolls bald and faceupless if you will. I am simply in love with how they are, it has nothing to do with being popular.

That being said, I have some quite unpopular sculpts both with me as well as on my wishlist. SSDF Avalanche, IoS Chaos, DikaDoll Murong... so on so forth. I believe that people should simply take whatever dolls they like best, not what 'others' indirectly push them to buy so they will 'fit in'. It's a matter of personal preference and enjoying the hobby. Getting a popular doll just to get it will ultimately bring one no joy. I think.

20. I've noticed that in the doll community, the drive is to be as unique as possible and NOT fit in. I've seen quite a few people saying that they love such and such doll, but don't want to buy it because it's "too popular."

Kinda funny, actually.