1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Historical Makeup for period costuming?

May 1, 2016

1. Different eras, different beauty standards. If you're interested in medieval costuming for instance, and you want to dress your doll in the "Butterfly Girl fashion for instance, would you be willing to follow that standard, to pluck the hairline (Or have a wig with a higher than usual hairline) very pale skin, and plucked eyebrows? Or for Elizabethan times, to have the dead pale skin, very red lips? Or Heian Japan, where not only was pale, powdered skin prized, but the eyebrows removed and painted on two inches higher, and the teeth darkened with a decoction of iron filings?

All of these things might sound odd but they were part of the beauty standards of that time. Would you be willing to adopt a faceup that reflected those standards for your doll?

2. If I was buying a doll with that specific style in mind....sure! My resins are mainly characters from my own stories, so that hasn't been an issue so far. And for the ones that will do double and triple duty; I keep their palette neutral.

3. I've seen people do precisely that for dolls in costumes of various Periods! It's a very cool effect. It gives the whole doll a nice finished look, with the faceup matching the era of clothing.

4. My only historical doll is an 18th Dynasty Pharaoh, and he does have the "kohl" painted eyeliner and brows. However, I did skip the perfumes and oils, since I don't want to damage his resin.

5. I have a Heian girl in process and she will have the traditional teeth and makeup. She won't be very pretty by today's standards, but i think by hers she will be lovely.

6. I think she'll be adorable, Sakuraharu! I'm always interested in beauty standards and how they vary from time to time and country to country. I'm thinking of dressing my Feeple girl in nineteen-twenties gear, and that would need to include a new face up with twenties style makeup. My grandmother was a flapper, and I have a character based on her.

CloakedSchemer (how I love your name!) Have you considered the scent locket, perhaps? It doesn't need to be an actual locket. Maybe something made of Milliput to look like an ankh in the hand? Or a talisman? It's just a thought. Some of those smells are so yummy, and they don't need to actually be *on* your doll, it could be tucked somewhere in the surrounding scenery too.

7. If I were to buy a doll with a specific time ear in mind, I would at least keep the styles of that time in mind. I'm sure I'd find a way to make it look authentic while still appealing~
      (Iron teeth? Why was that a thing, I wonder?)