1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you convince yourself it was worth it?

Jan 26, 2017

1. My first doll that I'm going to get is a shell of an OC very dear to me, and I told myself to be able to have him in a physical form is a feeling that's priceless!

2. It's worth it cuz imagine if u were the sculptor will u sell ur hard and nice work for cheap? Also bjds has a very good quality which I wasn't expecting :D but when is it really worth it ? Is when u realllllly like it and want it .

3. I still feel guilty. I wish I could sell a few of my dolls, but I really can't bring myself to do it. Every time I look at them I want to keep them.

4. i am a very impulsive person i guess.. like when i like something, i would really like them soooo much that i don't care how much are they... besides, bjds are worth all the money, there's a bunch of things you could do with them, like using them as references for drawings, having thema s companions and so on..

5. When I realized I was spending just as much on MORE, less quality dolls, and quantity wasn't cutting it anymore.

6. After spending so much time admiring them and adding dolls to my shopping carts over and over (and never actually buying them) I finally just decided that it was something that I really wanted and something that would make me happy! Of course it took a lot of convincing myself...it's a lot of money and something that people thought was a little odd, so I really had to way up the pros and cons before I committed myself...

After a lot of consideration though, I basically just decided to take the plunge one day and buy the doll I'd been looking at for a while! I'm still waiting for my Yoko to come home at the moment, but there's not been a minute since I paid for her that I've regretted it at all! :3nodding:

7. I just tell myself that if I ever change my mind and don't want the doll, I can sell them and get my money back.

8. When I got to point where I was constantly thinking about BJDs and wanting to have one, and when I decided I'd be willing to sell my Blythe to pay for one.
      Also, the community - all you amazing people! I often join fandoms partly because of the community, and this was no different.
      I really didn't have to convince myself the hobby was worth it - I knew it was. I just needed to find one at a price that was reasonable for my budget, and then save up!

9. Saaaaaaame

10. Let's see...I've been admiring BJDs for a few years, mainly because I draw and they're one of the things I considered to use as models. However, hubby and I just put all our funds into building our home so I wasn't too keen on spending a big chunk of cash all at once on something. Then, at around the start of the year last year, I was browsing sculpts and found out that manufacturers had holiday promos. I knew then that I had to grab the opportunity or I'd regret it...our house was already paid for, and the money I used to burn slowly on video games and figures could have just as easily gotten me the BJD I wanted.

I can only responsibly sustain one so at that moment, I made a promise to myself to switch hobbies. I didn't regret my choice. :) Anyway, having the option to treat myself to small doll purchases or to something time-limited is much more fun than dealing with scalpers every time a game I like is listed in small quantities.

11. I have always wanted a collection of dolls that embodied my various OCs. After looking at various doll modding projects I'd attempted in the past and feeling they were quite lacking in many aspects, I kind of already figured BJDs would be worth looking into as a potential avenue for obtaining that particular goal. However, as at the time I had just quit my regular job to help take care of my dying father, I knew it wasn't quite the right time to begin that endeavor. I told myself I'd wait until I found steady work and my finances were better. After all, I was earning $60/week from the job I did keep teaching 3 hours out of the week, and owed nearly $50,000 after dropping out of college - as well as another $2,000ish in credit card debt. Dolls, while sort of always on my mind, were simply not a priority. I needed to get my life together.

Nowadays, my finances aren't spectacular. I still have all that debt (and even a smidgen more from going into a pharmacy technician program at a nearby trade school) HOWEVER, I've found myself with steady work, and as I've budgeted out my expenses vs. my projected earnings, I've realized I could afford to indulge in the hobby at least a little bit. Most of the dolls I wish to obtain for OC purposes are under $300 (with a slightly expanding list of exceptions) and I plan on being mostly DIY about pretty much everything else going into them, so I figured... Why not hop in now? I felt it would be worth it at this point, anyways.

12. I'm going through this struggle myself with wanting to buy a new doll. It's tricky - they're a luxury, and I can afford them, but part of me still feels guilty because it's a lot of money. However I always feel like it's worthwhile to support artists and bring something lovely into the world, so I'd never feel bad about buying a doll in the end!

13. I found a doll that overruled the sticker shock. My thoughts went from "I want a doll" to "I need that specific doll IMMEDIATELY".

14. If I have people to share the hobby with, and if by saving for and subsequently buying a doll hasn't cost me any necessities (food, rent, etc) that makes it easier.

15. I should probebly save the money to buy a house in the end, but then again you have to live in a way that make you happy while you can.
      And also I dont smoke and use almost nothing on alcohol, so this is my.... guilty pleasure so to say. In my country alcohol and smoke is very expensive.

16. I think if you have to convince yourself you are looking at it the wrong way.
      Talking to a stranger can be a thing you need to convince yourself to do, or doing something outright unpleasant; but this is a hobby, and hobbies should bring you pleasure.

Yes, it's financially not always easy to handle, even if you live in a first country and got all the basics covered.
      Being able to have a hobby, any hobby, is a luxury. A luxury that is needed though, because everyone needs an outlet and something that makes them happy without any strings (hehe) attached.
      So if this really is the hobby for you, you know you will enjoy it and can afford it...just do it.
      That's at least how I did it and I still don't regret it.

And to be honest, collecting dolls isn't that much more expensive than a lot of other hobbies.
      In our case the base cost per purchase is just higher, but we tend to own less. Some people buy Lego sets regularly, you bet they spend as much as we do in the end.

17. For me, it was seeing how much enjoyment my partner got from the hobby, and the knowledge it's something we would then share. Plus my with preexisting love for craft based hobbies, this opened up a lot of new areas, a new style of painting, pattern design, sewing, jewellery making, and photography just to list a few ;)

18. This may be a short and happy-go-lucky answer but if it makes you happy then it is worth it.

19. I convince myself it's going to be worth it prior to purchase, not after. I'm looking for a doll of a certain face type for a character; how often do I need to draw this character, how featured is he in the story that it would be worth going through custom faceup and clothes for presentation and promotions, do I have a doll that is similar, etc.

20. My thought process when buying my first:
      1.) Do I want it?
      Yes
      2.) Can I afford it?
      Yes, even with an unexpected expenses, I can afford to buy this doll.
      3.) Will I use it?
      Yes. Snuggles (my scorpion) NEEDS this to play with. I NEED this to play with. I will play with it.
      4.) How soon can I get this?
      Ordered, booyah!

And that is the quick version of how I convinced myself this was worth it.