1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you convince yourself it was worth it?

Jan 26, 2017

1. I simply wanted them so much that I had to have them, I couldn't think about anything else, I dreamed of them at night. Now, please understand that I am not some spoiled brat who has to have everything I see, I work a lot of overtime to be able to afford my dolls. I budget for them carefully, and once had to save for four years to get my grail doll . I am an artist, and they are my muse, I make almost everything they wear, I paint them, and make them all sorts of things: food, dishes, clothes, wigs...etc. I too have some mental health issues, mostly depression, and I believe that having a hobby such as BJDs is really good for me, it gives me something fun and creative to do, and gets me out of the house to attend doll meets and conventions, which helps me socialize more than I would do otherwise.

2. It's hard when you feel guilt around it or aren't a particularly rich person. I can relate to that. But if your basic needs are taken care of, then whatever you save should be spent on things that will make you happy. Whether that's a single item that costs a lot, or lots of smaller items, it's the same money with the same purpose, to enrich your life.

3. I'm an artist so I went with the "pose model" excuse for a while until I just admitted that I liked collecting dolls and there was nothing wrong with that. But for a few months it was "This is my very expensive resin pose model with multiple outfits and an elaborate backstory"..... even I couldn't believe that.

4. That was extremely simple. I can do almost everything I love with these dolls, and they are a concrete item that doesn't just go away. I've spent a TON of money over the years on concerts, on the SCA, on DragonCon & other cons, on traveling! All of THAT money is gone. I'm not sorry about any of that, still do go to cons & travel - but it's ephemeral.
      These dolls are not. They last - they will outlast me.
      Also, unlike books & clothes (other things I've spent tons of $$$ on, things that do last), the resale value is much higher. Might not be a sure investment exactly, but there's definitely a resale value that's much higher than that for, say, a copy of that 2014 bestseller...or your favorite silk shirt from 2 years ago for that matter. So there is that to take into consideration.
      And as said before, they keep me busy, making clothes, taking pictures, writing stories for them etc. And decorating my house - I love setting up mini-dioramas and just looking at them every time I pass by :D Makes me happy :D

5. I convinced myself that it was worth it to get a bjd when i could not stop thinking about it, which is big for me because i dont usually think about stuff as much as i did about bjds, so i took the plunge and i bagan to save for my first bjd. Most of all they make me so happy.

6. I convinced myself it was worth it when being awake or asleep I couldn't stop thinking about them. I had always adored dolls as a child but when it comes to bjd's there is just something magical about them. It's like you're not just getting a doll. You're getting a new family member.

7. I view it like anyone would another expensive hobby. For example, my dad has spent probably hundreds, if not a thousand or more already, on his photography. Of course, he's turning it into a part-time business to make his money back bit by bit. Same with my mum and her jewellery making. Maybe, with a bit more practice, I could turn my face-up skills into a part-time business. Or find another part of this hobby that I can spin into a small money-making business to fund the hobby.

Personally, I have probably already spent, if I were to do the maths, hundreds of pounds on my DVD collection. I am a big fan of Audie Murphy and have easily spent a couple hundred on a collection of posters and promotional 8x10 photos. But, it is something that brings me joy. Plus, they're more like investments - the collectable rare pieces are - in that they will bring money in the future if looked after.

The same can be said for these dolls. They're more of an investment, as long as they're taken care of. At the same time, though, they're a creative outlet. I am a creative person. I have dabbled in art, fiction, and now dolls. I've done the face-up on my second doll, and I looked at getting into crafting clothes. It's not just one hobby; it branches out into others. Collecting, face-ups, modifications, tailoring, fiction, photography, art, etc.

For me, it is worth it. My dolls, especially Alex (Ringdoll Sol, my first), have helped me through hardships. They're distractions from life's troubles. Sure, they do cost a lot of money. But, if you take care of them, they're worth the price tag. There are more expensive, and worse, hobbies to get into.

8. :3nodding: it's very simple, it is the money I earned, I spend it what ever way that makes me feel happy :thumbup

9. I'm fifty years old and BJD's are the "dream dolls" I designed and dreamed of having when I was a child of nine - there was no convincing to be done.

Teddy

10. I'm with a lot of other people here, it's my money and I finally decided to spend it on something that made me happy. I have other relatively expensive hobbies (collecting DnD figurines and different edition splatbooks, period dancing and costumery) so I didn't need to convince myself that I was *worth* the luxury. But I also decided that this was a hobby I'd always wanted to participate in and after looking at the variety of sculpts and what they mean to me, I figure it was time to start buying. Plus I'm lucky and my first doll (my beloved Bory) was gifted to me, so I have a lot of extra sentiment attached to him in particular.

11. I've always loved dolls, and for years was a porcelain doll collector. (I think I have around 26ish) I would find a porcelain doll at a thrift store and fix it up to be beautiful again. Several years ago, I think I was about eleven when I noticed BJDs for the first time. I had been researching some types of porcelain when I ran across Doll Chateau. I thought they were beautiful, but unattainable due to price.

About a year ago, I ran across some pictures of BJDs and it reignited my interest. As an artist, I saw the potential for using a doll as a posing model, as I couldn't get something THAT expensive just because I like it. I wanted a practical purpose. But as an artist, I must admit that I think the majority of my attraction is in the beauty of the workmanship. I'm extremely creative, and should like to find new ways to outlet my creativity as well as spread my horizon in learning new techniques and ways to apply my art.

Finally, I had difficulty with the fact I knew my mother wouldn't approve, and I still live at home. Being who I am, I am very sensitive to what I feel people around me expect from me and feel responsible to achieve that. Despite that and chronic anxiety, and depression issues, I mulled it over for days. I've never really been able to have a hobby that was mine, so to speak. That was by my choice. So in the end, I decided to go with it. Mom didn't approve. But, I still felt excited, because I was brave enough to actually do it AND tell her as well as show her and my family. She was at least accepting of my choice, as I am an adult. But although I had quite the struggle to actually go through with it, once it was done, Ididn't have the 'Buyer's regret' I normally do with feeling guilty. It's a wonderful feeling.

So in the end, I had to mull over the concept for the longest time, and since I'm on a little bit of a tight budget, I've decided I'll probably make my own accessories for my dolls, since it's an opportunity to learn new creative skills in sewing and scupting as well as photography and eventually wig making. (Sorry for being long winded. XD)

12. I don't buy clothes, shoes or makeup until I really need something cause I don't have anything to wear. I don't go to concerts or movies. I don't eat out. I make my food from the beginning. I don't go to bars or spend nights out with friends. I don't drink alcohol. I don't smoke.

I'm allowed to spend some money on myself. This is how I do it.

13. It was one of my "Before I die..." goals, therefore I went for it when I came across a head that I really liked which was a really limited release with little hopes of getting a re-release. They are definitely worth it, I smile every time I look at them, especially after a long day at work :)

14. I feel like it is okay to have an expensive hobby as long as you have control over how much you are spending.
      I started doing this hobby after I got a job after graduating. :)

15. I knew it was worth it when my level of interest was sustained over the many months I initially spent researching and admiring sculpts. Getting to know what is involved in sculpting and producing them also makes that "handmade" price tag seem more reasonable.

It's also easier to justify if you know you will have more to do with the doll than just admiring it on a shelf (though for many people, that's plenty!) If you also have an interest in sewing, miniature sculpting, papercraft, photography, storytelling, painting, fashion & esthetics, wood crafting, jewelry making, or many/any other creative pursuits, you may find the doll serves as a focus and motivator for new projects. I don't know how people can live without hobbies! Some might argue I have too many, but my dolls are central to lots of them and the skills and overall life satisfaction I have stumbled upon because of BJDs are absolutely worth the money.

16. For me, it was when my doll achieved that certain look/style and I said to myself, yep it was all worth it.

17. My 'excuse' for enjoying my hobbies and spending money on them is the fact that I'm not dead yet (and these dolls do help, so... cheaper than therapy?).
      Also, I can make money off them! If you're a creative sort, or have the patience to learn a skill, you can make things for them and other dolls. Like clothing, props, furniture, yada yada yada. It's not a great, consistent living, sure, but it's fun!

18. My BJDs are all tinies, so theyare on the less expensive side of the range of prices. (That said, there's over a thousand dollars in resin sitting in my apartment.:aeyepop:)
      I don't go to concerts or bars. I don't buy jewelry. I have vision limitations that mean I can't drive, so I don't have to worry about car related expenses. I have deppression and handling my dolls and sewing clothes and making props for them make me happy. And its my money, so if I've paid my bills I can spend the extra how I want.

19. At first I always said that I' d use my first doll as a model for drawing. Well, it didn' t really go like that after all :lol:

20. Something I find quite useful is doing a real household budget - looking at how much you really spend e.g on lattes or whatever each month. You will be surprised at how much we spend on stuff like this. If you are really strict for a couple of months with non essential spending you will easily save enough money for a doll! It's a hobby like anything else, just because it's not as common doesn't mean you should feel guilt. Think of how much money some people spend on gym memberships! Car restoration, going to thbe hairdressers. Whatever makes you happy :)