How did you convince yourself it was worth it?

Jan 26, 2017

1. Dear Verdigris, I am new here and I am just reading your posting. So did you find an answer to your question? Did your dolls arrive in the timeframe expected?

Having my BJD is worth it to me because she makes me happy.

2. This is my absolute dream hobby!! My 5 girls are a huge part of my life. The best money I’ve ever spent. Before finally getting a bjd after wanting one for 7 years, I collected designer handbags, shoes, and clothes. Needless to say, I sold most of that stuff off to get my girls and all their items. Best money I’ve ever spent.

3. I always says that I never ever spend any money on another doll... Well... It's not working. I buying a doll the third time... Buying something less exepensive is not working... I always buy what I like. Worth it or not? Who knew? My first one can't did it, but my actual doll makes me happy... And I hope that my new doll will make it too...

4. Honestly? It's really hard to justify spending so much money on anything at all, at least for me. But I always end up thinking "Is there anything that would make me any happier than buying this?" or "Am I lacking anything at the moment?"

For a long time, I always had a hard time with that second question: I didn't find myself having the money to spare on a doll, even if I was completely sure it was something I wanted. But when I finally saw myself financially stable I didn't have any more excuses. And after paying for my doll I really felt some sort of guilt but remembered that I had been looking at the hobby from afar for so long and my interest had not faded away...

It was expensive, sure. But having my doll with me sure beats any guilt. It's something I have spent so much time thinking about, just being able to look at a BJD up close feels sort of dream-like at this point, even if it may sound cheesy. Sure, it was expensive, but I prefer to have him around rather than spend all that money in random stuff that wouldn't fulfill me as much. I was never one to buy many things for myself, I only go for what I'm truly in love with!

5. I constantly feel guilty about the cost of my dolls. Every penny spent on them could be better spent elsewhere. There's no doubt about that. Even when there are no necessities for myself or my family I could have donated the money to a good cause or helped someone else with it. So why buy a chunk of plastic that might have fed someone else for a month or longer?

There's honestly no way to justify the spending of money on luxury items. I see many people saying the items make them happy and that's enough. While I absolutely agree on that and feel like people should do what makes them happy there will always be people to undermine that logic as well.

On that note, I believe ball-jointed dolls bring lots of happiness to their owner and often other people around as well. I'll never judge what other people do with their money as it is theirs to do with as they please. As said I do feel guilty but I also just know they're worth it for me personally.

In short, do what makes you happy! Everything in life comes with a cost so you might as well pick out the things that make you smile.

Seize the day and spread the love~

6. I do have quite of the "I want it, I got it" attitiude. I've been chasing after these dolls since 7 years now (I'm 22 nearly 23). Removed myself from a bad poverty stricken family situation, moved to Germany and it all went great from there. My significant other is a generous man, I get paid to study as a prosecutor, sell art drawings I do on the side. So if I have money to spare and nothing else I need, food, rent, and bills coming first of course, I don't mind spending on the dolls I love.