1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you discover bjds?

Aug 4, 2020

1. I discovered bjds through Pullips in about the middle of 2010. At the time I wanted to collect all the Rozen Maiden Pullips then I saw and clicked on this video on Youtube:
      I was so enchanted by the dolls in that video to say the least (heck, I sure didn’t forget that video either and it’s been over ten years!) And the rest is history as they say! Lol

2. I don't exactly remember but I think my cousin had asked for a Pullip Doll for one of her birthdays and I remember really liking them. I later bought myself two. During that search I found that many pullip collectors also collected BJD's and I think I fell in love immediately with Fairyland dolls.

3. I used to go to many Visual Kei and Anime conventions and saw BJDs there.
      I became interested many years later within an art project at university where I suddenly thought I should try sculpting one.
      But what got me into buying one was that again many years later when I was collecting 1/6 scale hottoys figures (mostly Marvel) there weren't any Supernatural dolls.
      I wanted to have Dean Winchester and found his BJD head. I bought a Dollshe body then. It arrived one year later and I had changed my mind, realizing an OC instead of Dean.
      What got me in the hobby completely was being able to get a doll I didn't ever dare to think of.
      My love for him made me want to have more dolls.
      I was a slow burner, but today I can't get out anymore. It's my no.1 hobby and the dollamount increases ... :XD:

4. Dolls were my gateway drug to...well, more dolls. :XD:

Almost 100% sure I first saw a blurb in Barbie Bazaar magazine around 2002-2003. (They used to have a tiny section introducing other dolls and I am fairly positive Volks Megu was featured there.) Joined DoA in 2003 when it was still a Yahoo! group, found the Volks website (all in Japanese, of course) and was shocked at both the price and how difficult it was at the time to purchase a BJD outside of Japan or Korea. Gave up the idea for two years until I had a steady source of income (I was still an unemployed high schooler back in '02-'03), rejoined DoA (now as a forum!), and found that BJD dollmakers were beginning to sell to the States. Purchased my first in 2005 and haven't stopped since.

Thanks, Barbie!

5. browsing the internet for I think photo references and I came across them and after I saw the price I said "NOPE!" And never looked back at them until several years later when I moved to Colorado and made a friend who had them and then purchased my first two dolls.

6. Crap. Thats so many years ago now (i feel old all of a sudden)
      I saw one at a japanese pop-culture con maaaaaaaany years ago (think more than a decade ago)
      It took me a few years before i finalyl decided to get my very own though. I've had my first doll since i was 18 by now. :celebrate

7. Someone on a music forum I followed in middle school had one! I was in awe, but obviously as a 12-year-old I couldn't exactly order a fancy expensive doll on my own.... so I waited until college, when it occurred to me that nobody could stop me from ordering a doll if I could afford to do so.

Which I could. I have accepted my fate as a Crazy Doll Lady. I have dolls All Over The Place. I regret nothing.

...well, okay, I slightly regret not carefully vetting a couple of them carefully enough. But they are still good dolls. I regret almost nothing.

8. I’ve always loved dolls. I like playing with them and collecting them, just everything about them…

One day I was doing an internet search for my ideal doll. I had decided my ideal doll was jointed, maybe antique, so that left me with searching wooden and bisque dolls. Finally, I just happened to stumble over an image of an old Volks dolls.

I was immediately surprised with how it seemed to be my ideal doll, the doll of my dreams. I remember that I didn’t even know what resin was at the time :aeyepop: I still remember how shocked I was to learn that there were different companies and doll sizes! I even remember swooning over the clothes and wigs (I didn’t even know you could change doll wigs). And then, I took the BJD plunge and learned everything I could!

#168 theVelveteenRabbit, Oct 2, 2021
      Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    9. I was 11ish and browsing DeviantArt when I came across the story account of a BJD owner. She had multiple dolls that were interconnected in an elaborate story, which got me hooked as I was definitely in my story telling phase and they just looked so cool! My favorite was a Pukifee that she had, but now I prefer Lati Yellows :)

10. An anime magazine had a short article about them. I immediately had to go online and see what they were like. It took me years to admit to myself that I really wanted them to myself.

11. I was on a Sims forum in 2006? 2007? And someone asked about a BJD skin - which lead to a BJD discussion thread, which lead to me seeing pictures of peoples dolls and going "WHAT ARE THOSE". First dolls I saw were Dream of Doll. I looked at the price. I closed the window. And kept going back to look at them. Eventually made my way here, where I was looking at so. many. gorgeous. dolls. Until I finally gave in and bought one.

12. When I was in college I used to do character commissions for people on flight rising, and one of my commissioners recommended me to a friend of theirs who had a character they wanted me to draw that was based on a bjd they owned. I remember being really curious about the whole thing then, but not investigating much into the details, though it did make an impression on me. Finally, years later, I decided to order a nenderoid doll of an anime character I really like, and then that sort of stirred up memories of bjds and how cool I thought they were back the, so here we are at last haha

13. Resinsoul Ya was the first bjd doll I saw on the Internet (2014). Those days I didn't even know the classification, then I found Alice's collection site and discovered the whole new world of them.

14. I was at a comicon in 2005 or 2006 (I got a free poster for the film The Science of Sleep) and I was very small and had a lot of difficulty coming to terms with my sexuality, so I consumed any media that had the faintest whiff of same gender attraction. I saw a man with a Super Dollfie that was shelled as Yomiko Readman from R.O.D and promptly lost my entire mind. I got directed here and I hung out wordlessly for a very long time, long enough to see the birth of Doll Chateau at least. It was an interesting culture then.

15. As a kid I've always liked dolls and always wanted "nicer" ones since, so it seemed almost natural that I had eventually discovered BJDS. I had seen images of BJDs here and there and have heard of them through anime and otaku culture but the first time I saw one in person was when I was in college and an old friend of mine had brought one in to class. Seeing the pose-ability and finding out the customization options had drawn me into the hobby. About a year later I had purchased my first doll and I still love her to bits ^^ Throughout college I had used her to help me with poses and helping understand space with a figure in a composition and while I wasn't super into the hobby at the time in the "traditional" sense, it kept me interested up to this day and now I can say I'm here and back to stay :'3

16. I was like 15 at the time when I first got into BJD's... thats many moons ago considering that I am now 30. However I have always been into anime/manga/etc. I believe I was on ebay looking up something related to Lolita fashion brands based in Japan and stumbled upon a Volks bjd with a Lolita outfit. I don't remember which doll it specifically was but I was hooked from then.

As someone who also got back into the hobby I got reintroduced to BJD's from looking at my old photobucket account and lo and behold I still had some pictures saved from when I stopped collecting and I was like yeah... I remember that niche hobby! I should get back into that! I miss dolls!

17. A person I followed on social media posted pictures of her dolls and turned me on to Luts. This was... a year ago now? :sweat

18. I think I was looking at decora makeup on Pinterest and I saw some dolls that were painted by elfgutz (on Instagram) and I thought they were so amazing. That pretty much started an obsession with bjds and I found so many amazing artists that just made me love them more. That was a while ago and now my small amount of free time is spent working on dolls.:sweat

19. I have a Barbie Instagram page and I saw a doll on someone's post and was blown away. I can't recall what doll it was, but it was so poseable and had such a great face, I had to find out more. So I bought two used dolls and am getting a new doll who will be here in a couple of months.

20. tbh, the first impression when I saw my cousin's BJD was negative. I thought only seven or eight year olds would want those dolls. It was a slap in my face when I discovered Enchanted Dolls! Although their eyes seemed a little creepy to me at first, I was fascinated by the level of detail Marina put into them. Then I got into more research and found a new hobby!!