1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Did You Know?

Mar 4, 2012

1. If you are interested in dolls, this hobby is for you :)

2. I found BJD's while surfing the internet one day and immediately thought about getting one, despite the fact that I'd never seen one in real life. I took my sweet time actually getting one, but it was brilliant when the doll finally got here and I've never regretted jumping into the hobby.

3. A good thing you might do is to find a doll group that is local to you. That way you could meet some people who are into the hobby, and believe me some are INTO it, and you can meet some dolls as well. For me, I first became interested in them after seeing the anime Rozen Maiden. Then a friend of mine, who had a doll for about a year then, let me borrow hers for a couple months. During that time I fell in love with them and ordered my own a short time later. It definitely isn't one you want to rush into, in my own opinion, as it is expensive and if you get one then decide that you don't actually want him/her then that's quite a bit of money wasted, even if you do manage to resell him/her.

4. I was super nervous so I did it in little steps; starting with a $10 Moxie Teen doll, then I tried a jointed ABS Hujoo and small Obitsu, and finally a resin. For size, I took a tape measure and held it up to everything. I mean literally everything. Then I took all the measurements given and made a cardboard dummy and put that next to everything. I was pretty sure I knew exactly what I was doing and that I'd be happy with her, but I was nervous right up until I unwrapped her.

It wasn't just the first, every doll I own has been a little nerve-wracking. I have yet to regret any of them, though. :)

5. I haven't seen a BJD for real before, I doubt I could find anyone near me with BJDs and I don't know of any shops or expos or anything. I've wanted a BJD ever since I first saw them about ten years ago or so. I've been properly looking at them and prices and choosing which I want in the last six months. And when I got some money I took the plunge and put Hid on Layaway and then when I got more, I paid him off and bought another. I think sometimes you just need to trust and go with your heart.

6. I think I knew because at the time I found out about BJDs (and instantly became interested in them) I was going through a phase of phases, which is to say, I would become OBSESSED with one thing or another for about a week, maximum. And I'd always liked my grandma's fashion dolls, but these, these were something different. And I became obsessed, but it didn't go away after a week. Or a month. Or a year. I saved up and I wasn't nervous buying my first doll at all, even though I'd never seen a real BJD. And I fell in love, and that was that. But it IS normal to be nervous if you're just starting out, I had almost three years of saving up for my first doll to spend falling deeper and deepr into the BJD world... Just make sure you LOVE LOVE LOVE your first doll! Sure, it might change later, but having that doll in your hands after the waiting, it makes it all worth it if you love it as much as one can humanly possibly love a doll.

7. When I bought my first BJD, I knew next to nothing about BJDs, had never seen one, was totally unaware of any BJD community, etc. I don't remember how it happened, but I found a doll on the Dollmore website that I was absolutely smitten by. She was the prettiest thing I had ever seen. I looked at her for 2-3 months before deciding to take the plunge. Now I have been a doll fan since I was a child, had attended an occasional doll show, and had several dolls I had purchased as an adult. So maybe BJDs were the next natural step for me, but I have been pleased overall by this hobby. Did I plan to have BJD collecting as a hobby when I first bought a doll? No. I loved that one doll. And so my advice to you would be to love what you purchase, to study the tutorials and learn to do things with her or him, and have a good time. If you never buy another doll, you can still have a good time with this first one.

8. I knew because I totally fell in love with them. I fell in love many years ago but I just bought my first one a couple of years ago. So, that constant love was the key. Eventhought I've never see one in person, I knew nothing and that stuff, I knew it. And now I'm really happy. :D

9. I've always collected dolls. I have every doll I've ever owned since I was 4. (I'm 30 now.) But the thing is, you can't customize a Barbie all that much, unless you can design, sew, and paint. (Don't even get me started about the agony of rerooting Barbie hair. @_@) BJDs make it easy, and you can have just about anything you want: skin color, eye color, hair color and style, clothes, makeup.. Endless possibilities. I didn't know I'd want millions of them like I do, now that I've gotten started. XD I had one couple in mind and had planned to quit, but they're addictive!

10. Nothing complicated. I felt that this is a hobby for me I am interested in and I love it :)

11. I see the original poster did order her doll but I'm going to answer for the heck of it. (Congrats to you!)

I spent months doing research. It was basically an obsession. But I'd never seen a BJD before and I couldn't easily get to a meet. So, I found a doll that I loved, scraped my money, and just took the plunge. That was 4 years ago. Now, I'm doing faceups. My doll family is 6 strong. I'm having fun.

12. I liked the update to your story!

I knew the hobby was for me because I couldn't stop looking at dolls. When I finally saved up and bought one, I didn't bond with her right away. It was tough because I had been so excited about getting her but it did help guide me toward the doll I dreamed of...

... and spending obscene amounts on money on dolls gets easier the more you do it. *^^*;;;;

I hope you adore your BJD and have a wonderful time getting to know her!

13. I got into the hobby after watching the anime Battle Doll: Angelic Layer and searched up how to do customs I figured: "Eh I can just paint a barbie to look like Hikaru...." Then I saw it....A cosplay photo of someone dressed as Misaki with a doll that looked nothing like Barbie as Hikaru....They said it was an Obitsu and I was determind to have one of my own. I did research for over a year on BJD's and Obitsu's until I got one....Then it turned into two....Three....Four before I knew it I'm now saving up for one of my dream dolls....

And I knew she was the one as soon as I saw that company photo. Resinsoul Mei I know they're considered cheaper in the hobby but to me that's one of my grail dolls. The company photo was the only one RS/BBB didn't screw up on that I saw. She was just...Perfect. I studied her face, looked at box openings of them right out of it.....I knew I had to have it.

I've always loved dolls growing up even during my phase forced by my parents of: "I'm worried about you, your (insert age here) and still playing with dolls?" Who seemed to make it seem like it was a bad thing until I got mine....And during that phase of No Dolls?

It was like withdrawl.

14. Dolls have always been a part of my life, so I was totally comfortable taking the plunge. I had never seen a bjd in person either. But the best you can do is go with what feels right. If you do the research and pick the right doll for you chances are you'll never regret it!!!! <3

15. I discovered BJDs on the internet by accident. A thread on a certain imageboard I frequented introduced me to these dolls and I was instantly attracted. I then began searching on the web for more and thus an obsession was born. I never thought I'd ever own one until years later. Now I have more on the way. :D

16. Glad you got your doll!!
      But, as for answering the question, like a lot of people here, I didn't know. My first was an Obitsu (that I ended up giving to a friend),so kind of safe sailing there. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't feel bad about getting rid of it and I didn't. As for my second (who I count as my first), it was more like a shot in the dark. Wasn't really sure how it would turn out, but so far so good.

17. I've never been to a meet or held a doll to get a feel of what one feels like, but I took the plunge regardless. I'd seen beautiful photos on DeviantART of other people's BJDs a couple of years ago, and I've since had the desire to own one. That desire has grown considerably in the last few months, so much so that I took the plunge and ordered my first on layaway. I'm still waiting for him to arrive, and I'll admit that I've had a few moments of worrying that I won't "bond" with him and I won't know what to do. But, I've managed to come up with several photo ideas already that I can't wait to try out, and I'm even planning on trying my hand at making clothes for him! Personally, I think it's going to be one of the best things I'll ever do in regards to bettering myself creatively! :)