1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you name your dolls and why he or she is called so?

Sep 26, 2019

1. My favorite doll names are the ones that are awful puns. My Dream Valley girl (with the extra arm on her back) is named Terra Toma. Based on teratoma- "a tumor made up of several different types of tissue, such as hair, muscle, teeth, or bone." I also have a duo named Dr. Grinn and Dr. Barrett. It's really cheesy, but I love it anyways.

I actually stole a handful of my doll names from one of my favorite games Albino Lullaby, since it has a lot of strange, antique-sounding names. Cornelius, Buck, Fairday, Mott.

I have to admit, part of what drives me when coming up with names (outside of the stupid puns anyways) is just choosing something that isn't common. The hipster in me just can't bear to have a doll with a common name. That's why I use names like Harold, Buck, Butch... they're sort of ugly/grandpa names that people seem to steer clear of.

2. Ludo was originally supposed to be a boy, but when she arrived in the mail she was very insistent that her name wasn't Narfi and she wasn't the little Icelandic boy I'd hoped for. I got the vibe that she was Italian. At the time I was watching a show on netflix, and one of the main characters was Ludovica-- Ludo for short. I decided that we liked that and then just looked for a last name that had a nice ring to it, so: Ludovica Amorosi.

For Liam, I was actively looking for a short, two-syllable boy's name. I wanted it to sound soft. His character is from an Irish family, so for a while I debated between Liam and Declan, two Irish names I love. When I decided on his last name, I ended up choosing the first name that sounded the best with it. Liam McNamara won!

3. My dolls have double names. First name is the own name of the mold, second name is doll’s number in my collection in latin language. So they names sound like names of noble ladies from Ancient Rome empire: Bianca Prima, Stella Secunda and Amanda Tertia)))

4. BJDs are gorgeous, so I've named all of mine after flowers. With some, like Thistle, the reference is pretty obvious. Others are a lot more obscure, like Ilex (genus name for Holly) and Frederica (a flower name depending on how you write it, and are familiar with the Higurashi franchise.)

My two more recent dolls were tough to name. One is a video game character with the canon name of Ellie, and I've had a hard time finding a flower name I like that has Ellie as a diminutive. The other had a name I pre-chose, but don't like how it sounds, so I've been searching for other flower names in that language.

5. I don't have my doll anymore, but I had originally planned for him to be a very specific character of mine... However, the wig arrived much more red than brown and he was fitted with red eyes by default, so I ended up naming him Azrael. He became the teeny tiny harbinger of death. I wish I still had his pictures.

6. A doll I'll be getting soon is named Akantra, probably the name with the most actual meaning instead of a rabbit hole of random thoughts I usually go down, starting with the name of the sculpt. Elektra has always been a really cool name to me, and the Marvel character with the same name is incredibly important to me. Now, I didn't just want to name a doll Elektra and call it a day, I thought it would be a little weird, since I already have associations with that name. So, I looked on a few websites, and right at the top of the list for Greek mythological names, it popped out at me- Acantha. A prickle, or a thorn, and a nymph that Apollo fell in love with. For whatever reason, combining the names just sounded like a good idea, and I think I like the fit that got spit out from it. Akantra. It has the same sort of sound that I liked about Elektra, but it's different enough that I won't always think of the Marvel assassin when I see my grey skinned girl.

7. My Doll chateau Douglas is named Douglas. I was calling him that for so long it ended up sticking. I was never into the idea of keeping his sculpt name but it grew on me. I have two floating heads atm that are twins and there names are Asher and Ashton. They are my main oc's I have a whole world I'm writing dedicated to just them. Unfortunately I don't have a background story for Douglas. I tried but I felt I was forcing it so he's just my pretty eye candy boy. :)

8. Fleur is called Fleur, because she is a CP Juri 2012 I'm going to mod to resemble a Dollzone Anson kind of flower.

9. all of mine are named with names i like.... i just picked something that felt right.

but the one behind my main doll, Mikami... was back when i was first creating him, i really liked Death Note and how crazy and cool Mikami was... so i took that name for my doll. they both have that crazy yet cool personality.

10. wow. I used to name my dolls, but after a while I will forget their names and start calling their official names. I like to collect the same doll but different skin color, so it is hard for me to think of their names...

11. A lot of the time I just kinda hang out with a doll and feel my way toward a name that fits! Sometimes it happens super fast, and sometimes we have to operate with nicknames for quite some time.

One I've particularly enjoyed though is my Volks Williams. He's been my grail for forever, I had all these designs on him in mind to be kind of a serious, melancholy character. The head I was finally able to nab was from the Darkness of Ensign version, and so he had these big shadowy circles around his eyes. I started calling him Panda while I waiting for time to work on him. I eventually settled on Elliot, but he.... still pretty much goes by Panda. This was not the plan.

Another one is my Little Rebel Andre in tan. I couldn't figure out what to call him until I popped a certain wig and pair of eyes on him, and realized he looked exactly like my Shepard when I played through Mass Effect. So he's Shepard.

12. I try to name them with the same alphabet as their sculpt name, like my Kanon is called Krystal, Papi is Pandora etc. But once awhile i gave them totally random name that just pop out!

13. I've been keeping a list of names that I like for years.

It's interesting to check popular names from different countries and decades. And pick one up whenever I see a nice one somewhere in a movie or something. Besides books and websites etc. I like to read names from end credits of movies/series. Not just main characters and actors, but there are long lists of interesting ones and often from different countries.

But the name has to suit the doll for me. Naming is easy with some and then I have one who refuses all the pretty names I come up with.

14. None of the dolls that I currently have in my collection ever clicked with a name unfortunately so they're still being called their sculpt names for now. It makes me sad in a way but I don't want to name them something they don't resonate with. Several dolls that I ended up selling because we didn't hit it off, no matter how many style/gender/... changes did click with their names. It's strange but some dolls really just do tell you their names while others make you work for it. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't, haha~

No matter, it's a fun journey to figure out their character and name. Anyone here who ended up changing their dolls name after a very long time of calling them by the first name? I always wonder how that goes...

15. Mine's gonna be called Piku~ compared to others I don't really have a special meaning behind it but because my boi is a deer centaur I couldn't quite remember the word in japanese for deer, so somehow it morphed into the word Piku, which sounds really cute~ later i searched and found that deer in japanese is called shika. XD close enough

16. So.

I have Lionel, Azrael, Gabriel who are shelled siblings from a story I was writing as a teenager. I was obsessed with angel names and it just stuck.

Christopher used to be Octavius, but I got to a point where I felt Octavius was "too much" and renamed him something more friendly.

Kasek is another character from another story of mine. I don't remember where it came from or what it meant. But they wouldn't be anything else.

Elizabeth just... looks like an Elizabeth. Which is a weird thing to say, I know.

17. My bf is an avid d&d player, and I dabble in writing. Sometimes I browse his many books laying about and we racket ball names at each other.

Laraine's was his pick because it reminded me of Lorelei without having to use said popular name.:)

As for Ileana, her name came from personal nostalgia that I knew she had to have when I saw her official photos and her story played in my head.

As for my other bjds/pullips/ai (does anyone remember those little cuties? In the storybook kinda boxes?) They all came up from racketballing with my bf,stories and what name just really suited their aesthetic.

18. I name them after people or things I am looking at at the time or sometimes it is very abstract. For example my doll Raphael is named after the renaissance painter Raphael or my Lestat is based on the character from Interview With The Vampire. Verona is because of the city from Romeo and Juliet and because I was playing Sims 2 when I got her LOL and my Dylan was because I just really wanted a doll called Dylan...

19. Most of the time (if the dolls aren't novel characters of mine,) I find taking a certain aspect of their appearance or personality and doing a google search for either names that mean those things, or sometimes even finding another language for a word.

20. Ah I usually come up with names by making them up out of the blue from how they sound o.o
      But Noelle just looked like a Noelle to me for no reason.
      Satine was taken from the Moulin Rouge movie auhehauhe. Those are the only dolls I have so far, but I have tons of characters, some I will shell and they got their names kinda randomly.
      Suspiro means "sigh" in portuguese and it's also how we call a "meringue" :XD:. It's just a sweet thing that I like to eat and has a cute name hehe;
      Maddie just looked like a Maddie to me.
      I've researched names when I can't come up with anything too. Aquilamaris is a weird name I took from a name site, but I can't find it anymore :<
      Dyani is a Native American name meaning "deer", and I use for my peryton (half deer half bird) lady.