1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you name your dolls and why he or she is called so?

Sep 26, 2019

1. Mine are based off my family members names! And one is off of an anime character

2. All my dolls are second hand minus one. Therefore, I named them all based off the country they came from.

3. I mentioned in a different comment recently that I'm not very good at naming things. No matter how much thought I put in, no name ever seems perfect, so I usually just go with whatever comes to mind to save myself the trouble.

My little dude is called Louie, which doesn't have any meaning to me and isn't even a name I really love. But it's reasonably fitting, and it stuck. I definitely couldn't see myself ever changing it now, and I guess that means the name is right.

4. I tend to lean towards names that simply "feel right" based on the way they roll off the tongue and what comes immediately to my head when I look at my dolls.

For example, my first doll is named Sonja, simply because when I was looking at her sale photos the name popped into my head! It definitely "felt" right when I would say it aloud while looking at her, so that's who she is for now! <3 A close runner-up name would also be Shoshanna, which feels just as nice and suitable as Sonja for the faceup I intend to give her. Who knows, maybe I might end up changing it after all. ;p For my grail doll, I've also already decided on a name based on her company faceup (which I adore!). To me the makeup around her eyes resembles colorful flames, so I've decided to give her a Vietnamese name based on that: Phượng, meaning "phoenix," for the association with fire! It's a somewhat austere name too, which fits the somber expression of her sculpt.

5. Generally, I search names which signification match with my character's personality. I did the same for one of my doll. She' an irish girl and very proud of it, close to celtic traditions. So I wanted an irish name or a gaelic word. I found Saoirse which means "freedom" and it's exactly what she's fighting for.
      For my first doll, Annalynn, the name came on its own. I like these name and found that it fits with her so here she is...

6. Interesting. I have 5 character dolls so I don't need to think about their names at all. For the rest 3, one boy came on the raining day, so I named him Rain in Japanese. 2 boys came to me by mistake and accident, so I name them MT and AC. :|

7. My first doll is Amber, I just love this name. IPH EID Aurora
      Second is Mireia. She is spanish, so it was the reason to choose a spanish name for her. IPH SID Stella
      Third is Violet. It is rasy - she is Iplehouse Violet.
      And Henri - I love this male name. IPH FID Claude

8. My first doll, Lilly, is named after my mother. Had I wanted children I would have named a potential first-born daughter after my mother, so now my first doll is named after her in stead.

My second doll was named by my husband. I was saying a bunch of names and he took one and changed the first name, and thus Mori had her name.

My third doll, Luna, is another off my list of baby names I'll never use. :XD: She's a night elf, so Luna was fitting.

My fourth will be called Rory, a nickname for Aurora. This doll will be related to Luna, so I wanted them both to have celestial names. I really like Aurora, but it was a bit pompous for the character she is going to have, so she'll be called Rory in daily life. I love the name Rory ever since watching Gilmore Girls, so it was settled the moment I thought of it.

9. I’m with vietblueheart; some names just Feel Right.

Zara’s name was based on what her previous owner called her, Sara. But with Ellery, I just looked at the photos long enough, and...she couldn’t have been anything else. That was simply the right name.

10. Accidental double-post and I can’t figure out how to delete it. Sorry!

11. Same way I name characters. If they're supposed to be of a certain ethnicity I narrow the search to names of that region or whatever, but generally i'll look at name lists like Behind the Name or whatever and write a list of things that appeal to me before narrowing it down to what feels "right"

Others just flat out tell me their names when they arrive without any thought having to be applied.

and one or two are references... <_<

Lyric is called Lyric because she's a Song sculpt hah.
      Selador is because "cellar door" is supposedly the most beautiful word in the english language and I find it hilarious to name a fantasy character that.

I have a non BJD called "7" because their assortment code was something like 746 and I kept referring to them as "7" in a review for short, it stuck lol.

I also have four dolls with silly names because I COULD. Moniker, Pseudonym, Alias and Lorem Ipsum
      hahaha. (Epithet and Nom Du Plume would also be fun names lol.)
      As well as a brother and sister who's names literally translate to 13 and 15, the number doll to my collection they were. *snort*

So yeah, I name dolls whatever because why not?

Worse, my plushies get absolutely ridiculous names. I have a pair of ragdolls named "probably cursed" and "probably not so cursed" for example. And the tressy doll on my mantle is "trash doll" because my husband literally fished her out of the trash. She'll never get a real name. Likewise "freaky" one of my ooak dolls will never get a "real" name because she IS "freaky" and "stabby" the other one is stabby haha.

I maybe shouldn't be allowed to name things <_< >_>

12. I like classic names and simply wait until I find one that fits and sticks. Since I have mostly girls I have names like Helena, Sophia, Eleonora or Heidi.

The only ones sticking out are Bluebell, whos named after the Watership Down character and a guy named Poppy, which was a funny suggestion that just stuck.

13. My first and only dolls name is Ryuu, and his name is off a character i created a long time ago when i was going to give the NaNoWriMo a try, I did ok with it (the NaNoWriMo) but havnt really thought about him since, anyway while I waited for my boy to arrive I thought about him and it pretty much immediately became my boys name so when he arrived that became his name officially :)

14. It was literally like naming a child, which was a little weird as at the time because we weren't even engaged yet (he's my husband now though). :sweat But yeah, it was and still is like naming a child. Hahahahaha. :XD:

15. I looked at name lists and tried to find a name which suited my girl. She sat next to me and everytime I found a name, I looked at her and thought "might be" or "naah...".
      In the end, I named her Livia though. I heard this name for the first time a few years ago. It is the (real) name of a very dear online friend. I've ever since fallen in love with it. I even thought of naming my child Livia when I have one in future. But it doesn't sound good with my last name at all...
      Atf first I didn't want to name my bjd Livia because the name is "too" special, but it felt like she didn't want to let go of the name anymore :XD: Everytime I looked at her it seemed like she would say "Yes! Livia is a good name! I like it. I'm Livia from now on!" ^^

16. most of my dolls are named after my rp characters

17. I named my first doll after an anime character that I really like. The next doll was the same but I changed the way the name was written (changed from hiragana to kanji that I liked that would still be read the same way as the original name) and the other dolls I have named using names that I heard somewhere and liked or taking a kanji, theme, time of year and circumstances under which they arrived into consideration and creating a name from that.
      For example, my YoSD Megu is named "Yumeko" because I love names that end with "-ko" and she was my grail/dream doll, "yume" means "dream" in Japanese which makes her name mean "dream child" and that describes her perfectly.
      My DearSD Megu is named "Mafuyu" which means "middle of winter" as she arrived in January. She was also a strange occurrence as I never planned to get a DearSD Megu and she was a surprise gift from a friend so for her last name I went with "Tsubai" which uses the kanji 椿 (Tsubaki) which is a winter flower that in my area blooms in pink (her favorite color) and also the first half of the word 椿事 (chinji) which means "strange occurence". I didn't like the sound of "chinji" and the fact that the second kanji mearly means "thing" so changed it to 紅 (kurenai, in this case read as "I") which means "crimson" which as previously stated works out as her favorite color is pink so she is "a strange pink occurrence in the middle of winter" which describes her perfectly.