1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you purchase your first BJD?

Nov 10, 2013

1. I bought my first doll from the secondhand marketplace here on DOA via PayPal.
      The seller, @Gwydion, had great feedback, and the price was insanely low.
      I already had money saved, but my mum actually helped pay for most of the doll as a gift.

2. My father-in-law always gives me money for my birthday so I used his gift money plus some of our own to buy my first doll. I'm so glad I did.

3. I saved up for him using a 6 month layaway, but ended up paying him off in 2 months! I'm hoping to get another as a 21st birthday present for myself, so time to start saving again!

4. Originally I planned to save for a while before purchasing, but I ended up putting off some other purchases so I could go ahead with ordering my first dolls. Two of them have not arrived yet and now it's time to start saving for the 4th!

5. I did a credit card. My job pays every two weeks, so I made the decision to buy when the credit card had been paid on time, and went with the next period for it. It gave me roughly 30 days to pay it off, and a few paychecks between to buffer. It also helped that I was floating on a new card and did not have interest at the time, which really gives you just a bit more than 30 days to pay off the CC.

Unsure if that'd work EVERY time I wanted a new, expensive doll. But it worked for my first.

6. I bought my first doll with a Japan intermediary, was a FCS F-01 from volks, a lot of years ago!

7. I bought my first doll secondhand from the DOA Marketplace. She was in great condition (and from a company known for a long wait time) so it was win-win all around.

8. First, I setted up an amount of money to get. While I was saving, I choose the doll I wanted to order. And then, I order through an european agent of the company. So now i´m waiting for the arrival!

9. I ordered my first doll (a pair from DOD) with a friend who also ordered a pair.
      So that's like 4 dolls.. :sweat It's my first time but it's my friend's second time.
      I withdrew cash from my bank and passed them to my friend, who deposited them to her boyfriend's bank.
      He sent the payment via paypal and few months later, we had a huge box opening ceremony at my friend's place!:lol:

10. I saved up for it (sort of, because I had money I wasn't using waiting to be spent:lol: ) and then I had to borrow my mother's credit card. :sweat

Crobidoll don't accept layaways (and I bought directly from the english website of the company,) so I had to pay in full. My mother let me pay her but since the money I had was short for like 100 dollars, she said she would pay for it~ :lol:

11. Back in the day when Volks had US distributors, I bought my doll from them using my CC online. It was nice instant gratification to get a completed and assembled MSD doll when they were into selling the kits and to get them assembled and a face-up was extra.

12. A few years ago I took lighter loads of classes at community college while working part-time. I saved all of the money I earned in a bank account for a few years. After learning about the hobby and looking around at all of the dolls available, I settled on getting a Fairyland Minifee for my first because I love their size, variety of face sculpts, and their pose-ability. I decided to get a Risse, but was waiting for an event so that I wouldn't miss out on an event head. Well, that event just came around and I fell hard for Sircca. I changed my plans, and ordered her full package straight from the company, paying in full. I ended up spending twice what I had originally intended, but I know I made the right choice for myself and I got some limited heads that I love in the process :) After I graduate from University and I am employed again, I'll set aside a bit of my paycheck each month for my next doll (or a body for one of my floating heads haha).

13. I bought Sock secondhand at Doll North last year, in person

14. I saved up for mine and bought her. :D

15. Ordered online and picked up in the company....I took a bus to DZ and walked in hahahah

16. I purchased my first bjd from Fairyland after I saved up enough money for it and my mom offered to pay the rest.

17. I just fully paid a doll and it was with sales money from different collectibles I'd sold. I have two other quite pricey dolls on layaway though, mostly so I'm not left broke for a month by spending the money all at once. After those I plan on just laying back and saving up money on the side from each pay check and see if any pre-orders catch my eye... Most notibley merrydollround' new little narwhal

18. I did a layaway from a BJD facebook group! I wasn't able to afford it straight up. Truth be told, I wasn't actually planning on buying my first doll at the time, but when I saw him I just couldn't resist.

19. I had the funds saved up so I paid for mine in full with PayPal. :3nodding:

20. I saved up for months! I placed my order directly with the company, since I wanted to pay all of his costs all at once :whee: