1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you purchase your first BJD?

Nov 10, 2013

1. Didn't have the time to save up for my first head since it was a limited head so I just went ahead and order it. Then waited for the next paycheck and ordered a body from another company for him :XD:

2. I ordered my first doll, a 5stardoll Elaine via dandyhighwayman dolls. I payed her up front, because I didn' t know layaway was a thing back then and eventually she came! I remember being so hyped.. :3nodding:

3. I bought my first from a friend, and paid cash. I saved up, and it thankfully didn't take me too long :)

4. As much as I feel bad about this, my mom said she'd do a 4 month layaway for a minifee 'A La Carte' Ryeon as a gift since I don't ask for much. But I promised I'd pay for all the accessories with the money I get for getting good grades :kitty2

5. Do you have her pictures? hope you can share it with us... Mine possible come next month. Looking forward to see your Elaine... :)

6. I ordered my first doll through Alice's Collections. There was an event going on, so I got her for a great deal!

7. I bought my first BJD from ResinSoul this past September(just got her last week) and they allow you to do a multi-part layaway for all of their dolls, with no minimum amount. The upside is that I could pay in two, three, four, or even five payments over whatever amount of time. The downside is that they don't start to cast the doll until you make the final (or middle? I forget) payment and let them know, and the doll can take a month to make and more to ship out. I love that I got mine (27cm tall Bei) in less than a month of finishing the payment, so I think they may have had a stock of it or something. The company is pretty good at keeping in touch with you and provides tracking numbers too! I've never dealt with another company though, so I don't know how ResinSoul stacks up compared to other doll companies. ^^

8. I saved up for years for my first doll (I was pretty young and didn't have any sort of steady income), but when I brought it up to my parents, they said that they would split the cost and consider it my birthday present haha.
      I bought her head through Alice's Collections, and her body from Mint on Card (she's a hybrid) and both transactions were great!

9. I ordered from ResinSoul and did a fairly brief layaway (about 5 weeks). I paid through paypal and did two equal installments, then paid off the remaining balance with my third payment. I did the same with my second doll, who I purchased from Miro Doll a couple of weeks after the first. Neither has arrived home yet, but the RS has been shipped out. They sent her just over a week after my final payment, so she was probably in stock. I'm pretty sure my MD will take a while since she's a specialty colour (dark chocolate) whereas the RS is just NS.

10. Saved up and paid through PayPal : )

11. I purchased my first doll on Etsy!
      I didn't have the money up-front, so I did a PayPal invoice plan.

12. I saved up and bought my first doll from Resinsoul with a full payment. :)

13. I had money saved up from an extra summer job, and my first doll wasn't that expensive, so I paid in full :kitty2

14. Well, at the time, I was more concerned with saving up for my wedding, so a doll was just kind of a dream. And after the wedding, there were things like bills and rent to consider. I honestly wasn't sure I'd ever get one. But a few days before our wedding, my father-in-law gave my husband and I a very generous monetary gift. I didn't even think about my doll. I figured my husband would want to use it on our honeymoon or something like that. But we get in the car and we're driving and he turns to me and says: you still want that doll you've been looking at? So we used to it to buy wedding gifts for ourselves lol and still had half of it to use for our honeymoon! I got my doll... and my hubby got himself a really cool lightsaber. Nowadays, I tend to use layaway options.

15. A friend of mine knew I was looking to join the hobby and wanted a simple pretty MSD sized girl. When she saw a Bluefairy May for a decent price on the marketplace, I paid her and she paid the seller on here. A couple of weeks later, I had my first doll. It's a very different experience from my current 20 week wait for my Impldoll Avery through DDE.

16. I saw Denverdoll had a 9-month layaway for Fairyland's Halloween event and kind of jumped at the opportunity! I'm still paying it off, but it actually looks like I'll have everything completely paid off by the end of January!

17. I have a little nest egg saved up from over the years but I opted for a 4 month layaway payment for my first doll through DDE! I'm super excited. Honestly a little scared though that this will be like a snowball effect... I am telling myself I only want/can have 1-2 doll's but that seems totally fruitless and laughable, haha.

18. I was super nervous about the idea of paying so much for a doll from the internet, since I had no ordering experience at all. Of course, the only thing you ever get to see posts about ordering online are the worst case scenarios, so that scared me away from it too. Luckily there is an anime convention near where I live that goes on once a year, so I decided to go to it and buy my first doll in person.

Sometimes there are second-hand sellers, and sometimes there are reps for a company. I got my little Peaks Woods 'Vampire Hucky' by carrying around more money than I'm used to and purchasing him from a company dealer right at the con. It skipped any shipping worries I had and was even more amazing cause I fell head over heels with his expression right away.

19. If I remember correctly, I believe I used the money from my first official design job to pay for mine!

20. Look for the face sculpture that will cached my very sensitive taste, especially eyes the doll must have an extraordinary beautiful eyes... Then since I have saving, i paid it and not familiar at Layaway that time. After 2months and half... She's here my first ever bjd...