1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you purchase your first BJD?

Nov 10, 2013

1. On layaway with Denver doll

2. I've saved up enough now, but I'm still a newbie and not sure which doll to buy, don't even know if I should buy from retailer, Ebay, or company. Right now my head hurts comparing all the prices of full sets, nude head+body, and parts of equally lovely dolls... then forgetting the conclusion I had come to and have to do the math all over again!

3. I sold a lot of stuff on ebay and saved up. I ordered my first through DDE and used the 4 month lay-away option.

4. Got mine on facebook for $150 using art commission money.

5. I had a lot of money saved up from years of working and saving (not for a doll, just in general), so money wasn't an issue for me. I ordered from Jeeryama on ebay, all in one go. I still don't have the doll, since he was a blank Dollzone MSD and it has taken forever for him to get made. Next month!

6. Bought a head from someone on DeviantArt. She invited me to Den of Angels and I ordered the body straight from the company.

7. I knew I wanted a smaller bjd so I saved up for a few months :)

8. I also have a hybrid. I bought my head unexpectedly and put it on my credit card. I then waited for birthday money to buy the body off Denver doll. I literally got just enough money between all my relatives. saving up was never really an option for me, as my living expenses were higher than my wages. For me it was just a matter of if I want it I have to make it happen somehow. I know a lot of people think that's kinda irresponsible, but I mean even if I'm kinda poor, I have to do something that makes me happy every once a while, treat myself so to say. I'm earning more now though, since I have an extra day to work now that I'm going to school part time instead of full time.

9. I sell some small stuff online for pocket money. One day I decided that I was just gonna save the money until I had enough for a BJD! It took a while, of course, but eventually I had enough. I checked the under 300$ list here on DOA, and ended up deciding on Mystic Kids Evelyn through Alice's Collection. No update on when she will be here, but I'm having a lot of fun preparing!

10. I moved to a new city for a while. I'd been working a really good paying job, and then one night, after forgetting the hobby for about 2 years cuz I just couldn't afford it before, it hit me that I could TOTALLY do it. Like right now. Immediately, with what I had saved up.

So I very pick-ily went through quite a few cheaper companies first to see if there was a sculpt I wanted and if not, I'd save a little bit more for a more expensive one. I found Mystic Kids and then I got my first doll that same night. It felt SO good, too. The weirdest realization, I was so excited. >w< I love him a ton.

Now I'm watching for my grail to go live soon, and have my money hoarded. I even went half-sies for the price with my boyfriend. It's gonna be great. XD

11. I didn't have a credit card at the time, so I borrowed my mom's (with her permission of course, and I paid her back after that) to purchase my first doll directly from the website. Unfortunately, that meant that they put her name on the doll's COA. ^^;;

12. At auction, on eBay, back before the recasts became rampant. She had her original box, instruction pamphlet, all parts, even original eyes and wig. I miss the days when it was safe to buy unoa faceplates on eBay too. But thankfully, UnoAlchemy gives us a great way to buy now.

13. my first doll came from Volks Jpn website. i just love how quick she came to me!!!

14. My first doll was purchased on the website and I paid by installments. When I don't have enough money to pay the full amount, I choose to pay in installments.

15. I won a contest with a cash prize and used some of it to buy a doll. Next time I'll be saving up!

16. I Had x amount of money saved and took x amount of money to purchase a doll in that price range on ebay. Before doing so I made sure to find something I would like until I could get something better when I had more money.

17. I bought my first doll from a bjd sales group on FB. She just caught my eye and knew that she was the doll to first start with.

18. I had some money beforehand, then saved up for nearly 7 months, I think? I recently ordered my first doll from Angelesque, and now I'm putting the rest of my savings towards his wig, eyes and outfit.

19. Mine wasn't as expensive since she was an msd and I also was able to have my parents helped me with it as Christmas/Birthday presents since they tend to have no idea what to get me. It made the price low enough that I was able to afford her.

20. I just saved up.:3nodding: