1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you purchase your first BJD?

Nov 10, 2013

1. I bought my first BJD after seeing him at a convention. I honestly wasn't planning on buying a doll that day, but he was so handsome and the seller offered a very nice layaway plan and I just couldn't resist :sweat I also hadn't planned on paying him off very quickly buuuut two and a half months later I paid him off and got him in the mail a few days after that. Really said goodbye to my self control with that one lol

2. I had a windfall of money land in my lap but I had also been saving, so I just went ahead with it. I bought through DDE and they were great! I think for a first time buyer it’s good to go through a vendor like DDE just to ease you into the world.

3. I bought my first doll on the official website of the doll. I am so lucky because it was the last day opening for that doll LOL.

4. I paid by layaway via Paypal (I used my cc) through Alice's. :)

5. I got my first doll from Soom during their "X-mas kit" event. Since she was a tiny at a discounted price, I was able to pay in full.

6. My first doll was a Luts Kid Delf Kiwi, which I bought for myself as a high school graduation present. That was a long time ago, about six years and I love her very much still.

7. I got mine with my tax return. My bills were stable, so I took the plunge. I will need to save for a friend for him though. Haha

8. I saved up and bought directly from DC site using PayPal. I prefer to buy directly from companies if possible.

9. I purchased my first doll (Luts Kid Delf Bory) on a layaway through Dolkus/Dolk Station.

10. I purchased my first doll in full directly to DreamingDoll. I also prefer to buy directly to the company if possible.

11. For my first BJD, my dad bought her for me because I graduated high school after having horrible grades all semester because big senioritus. :sweat For the first two I purchased myself, I bought them together on layaway from Fabric Friends. It took me 8 months at the time, but I really loved being able to buy a doll for myself finally! :)

12. The first doll I bought was through ResinSoul directly with email using my paypal account. The first doll I received (Bobobie Isabella), I bought through Denver Doll, also with paypal, on one that was in stock. The one I ordered through email I did a ton of research beforehand whereas the Bobobie was just too cute and very affordable. :XD:

13. I bought mine pre-owned and paid in full after graduating and working full time for about half a year……
      and with this hobby my savings took a plunge xD

14. .

#514 Gintsumi, May 28, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    15. I was too young for a credit card when I started in this hobby (16/17) And I’m very thankful I was, because I would have gone wild with one. Instead, I bought by layaway, and paid each time I got paid at my little part time job. I think I took a 3-month, 6 instalment layaway for my first. I’ve used layaway so much in this hobby, it’s a little surreal when I don’t use it now.

16. I purchased my first doll in-stock from a dealer (DDE). Still my preferred way to get dolls, if not direct from the company/artist.

17. I was about 15 or 16. First I begged my parents for a permission for about a month and promised I'll do really good in my high school finals if I may order the doll from the company. My father bought the doll for me with his Paypal as I didn't have an account of my own (I don't even know if minors can create one). When the doll arrived, I paid him back in full with some cash I had stashed away from my birthday. Even though I had paid for it already, my parents didn't allow me to even paint the doll before my finals grades arrived, and they really made me fulfill my promise before letting me enjoy the doll. Luckily I did good despite catching an influenza just before the exam week, I don't know what would have happened if I did not.

Less luckily, the 6 months or so of having the doll in my closet and not being allowed to get or make anything for it, including clothes, affected my bonding with it. I sold it anyway after two years or so.

My dad bought a couple of my first dolls for me with me paying back after the doll arrived safely, but I created my own PayPal when I was 19 or 20 because I didn't want my parents to see the sums I buy and sell dolls for, obviously. :eusa_sile

18. Actually, I have a small family business and I used the proceeds of the live sales we have been holding the past few months to buy my first boy secondhand on eBay. :)

19. I had some savings but did a short layaway so my wallet wouldnt feel such a big hit. My first doll was secondhand.

20. Denver Doll Emporium! :hamster: