1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do Doll Sculpts Get So Popular?

Oct 3, 2006

1. Truthfully, other than what has already been mentioned, company reputation, price, availability, etc. I haven't a clue. I suppose though that some dolls have a sort of "classic" beauty, at least in the BJD world. Take Lishe for example. I've seldom seen one that wasn't beautiful in some or another no matter who painted her. She's just a sculpt that, even though it lends itself to many interpretations, has an underlying beauty.

2. I think what makes a doll popular because of its looks. My friends always commented the dolls like they're true human beings. They're like a family. The facial sculpts mostly captured the owners and the admirers of the bjd. xP

3. Somewhat related to http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219677 (owning/liking one gender)

I was wondering if anyone has ever felt like some people don't pay any attention to their dolls, or if they pay less attention to some dolls than others? Have you ever felt that people don't pay attention to your doll because of its size, gender, or company? I myself have an MSD Souldoll girl that I feel like a lot of people don't notice much, since more people in my area like either SDs or pukis for size or own only Volks dolls.

I'm not asking because I think people deliberately or maliciously ignore some dolls, but I was wondering if anyone has ever felt that one of their dolls just faded into the background when it didn't fit the 'in' trend of an area or community.

4. I don't think it has anything to do with the dolls, its all about the owner and if they have a following/friends that comment on their threads.

5. I can understand that one. I don't have too many on-line pals who are part of this hobby...
      But what about when you're at a meet-up with people and other dolls in person?

6. Well, apparently there are certain things about a face that the human brain is trained to think are "beautiful". Like high cheekbones, full lips, bright eyes, nice skin etc. This is what leads people to thinking certain people are "pretty"... my guess is that it probably applies to dolls too ^^

7. Personally, I think it has a lot to do with the owner and their individual talent and ability to turn a doll into something interesting, or appealing. Also, they may happen to have a large group of friends that follow them and be part of a substantial doll community IRL. I'm not completely sure about this though...

I do often feel my dolls get overlooked in the BJD community. I've only really posted photos once, but I found it a little discouraging, as I worked hard on my doll's athstetics and the photoshoot and didn't get much of a response. I don't really want to be popular or anything. I just would like it if at least a few people noticed me and got to know my dolls. I don't think it helps that my taste in dolls differs a bit from the norm...especially from the BJD owners in my area, who all seem to like the "popular" sculpts, which I appreciate, but they are most often just not for me...

I'm not giving up yet though! I'm a perfectionist and I expect a lot out of my creative endeavors. I have more photoshoots/photostories planned for the future. :'D

EDIT: Also, the most unfair aspect of this, is that people who have enough money to get the best "supplies" are probably going to be more popular. Best camera, best clothes, best face up materials, lots of accesories and props, etc.

8. It actually makes me feel a lot better even just hearing that other people feel saddened by it sometimes. When you love your doll so much, it's hard when people just look right past them. But, well, I might as well admit I'm rubbish with a camera. :sweat I hadn't really thought of that as part of it.

9. I think a part of it has to do with the owner, but part of it is also sculpt and what is currently "trendy" in the doll world. I have a couple of dolls that are more popular than my other dolls because of their sculpt or their "concept".

As for the whole "people who have money" thing, it isn't entirely true... it is completely possible to take very nice photos with a point-and-click camera, a bedsheet, and a couple of desk lamps (if you've done some research and know your camera's settings and liabilites very well). It's also entirely possible to make beautiful clothing for dolls out of the half-price remnants at the local fabric store (just look at the 5th Anniversary Sock Couture contest!) Props can be sculpted out of Fimo or Sculpey. I've seen some very beautiful faceups done with a set of $10 pastels and Testor's Dullcote. Yes, it's harder work than just buying everything, but not having the money isn't really an excuse, I don't think. Practice and hard work can gain the skills needed, it just takes time and dedication.

In the end, I think it's a combination of all of the above. A sculpt that is generally considered attractive, a lovely faceup, high-quality photo shoots, and the general "personality" and "mood" conveyed by photos. Sometimes an owner's popularity factors into it. I know there are several doll owners/customizers that I appreciate, and I tend to click on their gallery threads because I know I've liked their previous posts.

You (general "you", not speaking to just one person) can't expect to just post one photo shoot and have the entire community rave about your doll. A following is generally collected over time... and sometimes it may not come at all.

That being said... does it really matter how popular your doll is? Yes, it's flattering when others appreciate my dolls, but it doesn't affect the enjoyment I get out of them. I've had gallery posts that didn't get even one comment, but I don't love that doll any less. I bought the doll for me, not for the community. I just post photos because I like sharing something when I'm excited about it. Comments are appreciated, but a lack of comments doesn't make me depressed.

10. wow, who dug this thread up? :D
      Well, I'm just waiting for delivery of one of the most popular molds around, an El. And as has already been mentioned in this thread and many others, some people wouldn't want to get him because so many other people have him and they want to feel "unique" and "different".

I can't understand those people. It's you, yourself, your personality, that makes you unique- no belonging or external variable is going to do it for you. It has to be within. So I don't care how many people have an El- there's only one in the world that's mine! I rely on myself to be unique. I don't need a doll to do it for me.

So just get the doll you want, whether five hundred people already have it or just five. It doesn't matter, this one's yours and so it's unique!

11. I've noticed that when people post well-thought out pictures of their doll, they usually gain popularity.
      I think it also has to do with how many people view your photos, and like them. x3

12. one thing I find intriguing in the doll trends is how the minimees have influenced popularity. now that people can have a custom doll rather than buying a sculpt taht has a close enough look or the right feel etc. I recently got my first minimee head, and am organising a trade for another, I keep wondering how their presence on the gallery will be received compared to more well known or classically popular sculpts, and to more well known limiteds. I think it will show some interesting trends....
      that is of course if I can ever get around to taking photos...my god I have never even posted photos of most of my dolls.

13. I think it just has to do with the individuality of each doll, seeing as most people create a character for their doll, and give it its own personality and appearance that fits what they like, and their almost unreal beauty. They seem to have a delicate air that you don't tend to find in many things. Another factor could be their realism, granted that some people might be creeped out by, is great for photography (their ability to pose so well also factors in). In addition, nice, thoughtful photographs are what invoke imagination, emotions, and tend to bring a sense of beauty with that.

14. This kind of thing has less to do with the doll and more to do with how often you post images, how clean or tidy your pictures are, are you using flash, is your doll being pictured in a flattering way or on a dirty floor with their wig askew, etc.

I looked through the Gallery recently and noticed that the pictures with the fewest comments were all taken with flash, the subject was in the very center, the angle wasn't flattering, and the background was literally dirty, dark, cluttered or uninteresting. Taking the extra time to arrange a nice photoshoot setup and make your dolly look his/her best doesn't require photoshop or tailormade outfits- just a little extra care and a moment to drape a sheet and set up a couple of lights or open a window.

Wanting attention is a basic human need, but getting more is a delicate business. If you desire to have your doll more noticed, try different outfits, make sure you are taking good clean well lit pictures, or try sending them off for a fancier faceup.

15. Individual dolls can be popular because they're just so unique and well-executed, whatever mold or style they might be.

Certain molds' popularity is more complex. It could be because a mold is widely available, attractive and easy to get, or because someone made a wonderful version of "X" and now everyone wants to have a doll like "X", or because "X" looks like a certain character in whatever latest trendy movie, video game or band. And if "X" is a scarce mold on top of it all, well, the hysteria will be that much more at a fever-pitch, guaranteed!

Raven

16. I'll preface this by saying I don't think my dolls are that popular, they have a few friends around but aren't "well known". I think a large part of it for individual dolls is participation. The more photos are posted, the more you respond to other people's posts, the more friends you (and your dolls, maybe) make, the more well known your dolls will be. It's not a priority to me to have "well known" dolls, but I do really enjoy posting and taking photos and I try to participate and comment on other peoples photos too.

A HUGE part of it also, is photo quality. Unnatural poses, unflattering angles, shots so blurry you can't tell what the doll looks like, etc. are not going to get comments most of the time. My photos aren't the best at all, but I try very hard to make them as good as I can get them - use the Macro function for closeups, or take it far enough away to be in focus and crop in later. Make sure there's lots of light, prop the camera on some books or use a cheap tripod if there's camera shake, make sure the background is clean or at least non-distracting, don't shoot up the doll's nose, look at what position their hands and feet are in, make sure the wig isn't falling off.

This isn't necessarily true. Granted I do have a really nice camera (I splurged a couple years ago) but it's definitely not the best. Not an SLR, and I'm still learning all it's properties. Almost any camera will take a really good picture in the right environment, though. Outdoors during the day is pretty easy, and nature contrasting with a doll is always a nice look.

I don't have the best materials or clothes. I have some very nice clothes on some of my dolls (found on discount on the marketplace almost always), but the ones that get the most compliments are my Shushu's Ty Girlz dress worn as a top with a Barbie sweater over it. My homemade goggles made from thrift store watches are always commented on, and you don't get much cheaper or easier than that. The faceups I did myself were done with chalk pastels left over from college art classes, a couple liquitex acrylics and Model Masters sealer. Almost ALL my accessories and props are from yard sales and thrift stores. Put a placemat down as a rug with a throw pillow from the couch behind the doll and with the right lighting you have a beautiful shot! Most of my "portrait" shots are done in front of my shower curtain. Zoom in enough and you don't need props.

Take a look through the photography area here - I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one using desk lamps and a craft-foam flash diffuser made for less than a dollar.

As for mold popularity, I just buy what I find beautiful. I now have an El, and I LOVE him. I want another. :aheartbea I don't care if everyone on the planet has one, he's still going to be beautiful.

17. Thanks for all the photography tips! I think my girl deserves me trying a little harder with the camera, and I can do that.

As for the minimees, I think that they'll probably get more attention from people who recognize the character its based on. I'm guilty of that myself (looks at video game minimees more than actors, because it's what I know)