1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do know if the doll you like is a recast?

Oct 17, 2014

1. Well, that's one way but not every doll that's sold without its official box is a recast. The seller might have decided to get rid of the box (like, if they have little to no storage space for stuff like that) or the doll might not have come in a box (aren't there some doll companies out there who ship their dolls in a carrier rather than a box? And for example neither my Dollzone Freddy head nor the Flower Fairy came in an official company box. Nor did any of my Minimee heads.) or, like with the box I got my Classy Doll body with, the box might be totally unmarked and not identifyable als "company box" (the Classy Doll box is just a black cardboard box). Or the doll in question might be a perfectly legitimate second hand purchase, say from Mandarake, but might have come without a box (because Mandarake didn't have it). And besides, you can put a recast into an official company box and sell it like that, too.

2. ^^Exactly as Khell says. The lack of box and papers doesn't mean it's fake. My Spiritdoll and Impldolls came in a carrier, not a box. Resinsoul and Bobobie come in "sleeping bags" from some dealers, and a bag from ResinSoul. My Mirodoll came in an unmarked box. My FantasyDolls had no box, bag OR paperwork.

Headplates also don't mean anything. Volks School heads don't have headplates even though they have the hollow spot for one, but I've heard some recasters did make fake headplates for their Volks dolls that look surprisingly real, unless you know exactly what tiny details to look at.

The best way to determine if the doll you want is real is just to research. See what it should come with if, if anything. Find out if the company has dealers or not. How much should it sell for? What kind of resin was it available in? Should it have sanded seams or not? Are there any little tale-tell signs to look for like a marking inside the head, an ear piercing, fingerprints (Soom Idealian has sculpted fingerprints...so cool.....and most likely not picked up on a recast) or a stamp in the body? Are the head and body default? Sometimes recasters will use one head on another company's body and claim it's all one doll.

TL;DR: Know what characteristics and extras your doll should come with, ask for more pictures o these things if buying secondhand and you are unsure.

3. Easiest way, just contact the seller, ask for certificate of authenticity, company logo on the head cap and photo for inside one of the doll's joints if you see the resin is ruff and messy that means it's a recast, also check the same doll on the original company's website and see the price, if what you found on eBay is so much cheaper so it is probably a recast, make sure to mention to the seller that you only want to buy a legit doll and incase you will find out it is a recast you will ask for a refund, so you can use this message if ever you will open a case through eBay and they will help you to get your money back if you got a recast from the seller who promised a legit doll. also try to pay through PayPal so you can get back to them for help getting your money back.

4. While the photo from the inside of the joints may be helpful, not all dolls have a CoA or company logo on the headcap. Not a one of my CP/FairyLand dolls has a "company logo," and only two out of 11 full dolls, one hybrid, and one extra event head have a CoA. Four came secondhand, two through a GO, and the rest direct to me from the company.

I haven't looked at either headcap recently, but neither of my Soom dolls has a "company logo" on the headcap, either. And I'm not sure, after several moves, where their CoA may be. But again, both came direct to me from the company, brand new.

I believe only three of my current 26 dolls, in fact, have any kind of "company logo" on the head. (Little Monica, DollPamm, and Spirit Doll.) They may have some other markings (most of the CP/FairyLand ones have their names on the insides of their heads), or they may be totally unmarked, but as most of my collection was purchased new, they are indeed legit sculpts.

It isn't as easy as "CoA and Head Cap," just as it isn't as easy as "original box;" you have to be careful and vigilant about the sale, and check multiple avenues if you have any doubts. And if you have a little voice at the back of your head saying "this might be a recast," either check with someone else (someone experienced in identifying them), or just don't buy it.

5. That's actually bull poop. Reasearch something properly, before claiming it as fact. http://www.acbjd.com/doll-familyh-c-340.html Doll family have practice heads, to practice mods and face-ups that sell for about $30 or so if I remember right. There are none in stock right now, but it is however a thing, yes.
      http://www.mintoncardinc.com/dolls/browse.php?toys=pinky&BJD=1&name=Heads+&cbh=105,46
      Some are still sold here apparently.
      In fact, if I recall correctly, there even was an event during one, If you spent enough money, they would chuck one in for free if you wanted. I'll go research that.

Update:
      Yep, there was an event like that after all.
      [​IMG]
      If you ordered $110 worth of bjd things, you woul'd get a free head. So there are probably loads of them out there.
      So it doesn't mean that if the ebay sale or any other place says "practice head" that it's a recast. Best thing to do is ask the seller who made the head. If you get a long list of companies like Soom,Volks, etc, then it's a recast if not, ask the company in question if they ever released practice heads too.

6. Here's a list I found elsewhere, of specific things to look for (and not look for). Hope it helps.

Possible signs of a recast:
      -Resin colors not offered by the company.
      -Details/inscriptions inside original head are blurred or missing in recast.
      -Residual hot glue in eyewells of original shows up as resin blobs in recast.
      -Interior of body and head is lumpy and unfinished, compared to original.
      -Joints and drill holes are rough, sometimes ill-fitting.
      -Double seams (because recast mold seams don't line up with original seams).
      -Stamped Volks Dollpa dates that didn't exist.
      -Same Dollpa headplate seen over and over.
      -Soom Idealians missing fingerprints.
      -S-hooks instead of metal or resin bars, missing internal mechanism (such as eye mechanisms).
      -Sculpts normally cast in French resin that are in urethane instead.
      -Originally translucent parts that are opaque and plasticky.

NOT reliable signs of a recast:
      -Bad quality resin. Most recasters now are using the same resin as legit companies (some are using the SAME casting services as legit companies).
      -Exterior details. Most recasts now are clean on the parts that show.
      -Certificates. Several big recast companies send imitation certificates (although they may be missing the serial number, or use the same serial on multiple certificates).
      -Most recasters don't bother to imitate faceups or fullset costumes.

7. You have to be extra careful about older Soom dolls. The recasters have fake certificates and I've seen a person on youtube get their recast Beyla (?) in a white box with Soom logos.
      The best thing to do is research which sculpts are getting recasted, and if you want to buy something that's recasted, take precautions and ask for pictures, certificates, maybe a link to the box opening or something?

8. By the way, its not illegal to buy or import personal bootlegs of anything into the USA. It's only illegal if you mass importing for the purpose of resales......goes for dolls, tvs, shoes, purses.....anything......

9. Only that buying a recast willingly and knowingly is a really shitty thing to do whether it's technically legal or not. "Legal" doesn't always mean "moral" or "right" ...

10. Buying any bootleg is a shitty thing to do, but America is made on it. Has to be cheap and high quality...It's however illegal to harass and bully people online especially minors for anything.....I merely mention this because some people in this hobby have totally forgotten how to talk to people in a public setting. Ps and Qs. Morally or right doesn't excuse poor manners.

11. Oh, I don't bully recast-owners. I just ignore them (which most of them still seem to count as bullying). Unless they ask me what I think of recasts. Then I'll tell them in no uncertain terms what I think of recasts (which they'll also count as bullying - hey, if you can't stomach what I think of recasts and people who buy them, don't ask) and after that, keep ignoring them. They're like Trump supporters - they know what they're doing is wrong but they don't want to stop it, so they come up with the most stupid justifications so they can keep doing it.

12. An individual is allowed to personally bring into the US a counterfeit item. This is not because it's OK, but because Customs doesn't want to be stopping every single person and start up an investigation. However-- more than one item, more than one in a 30 day period, SHIPPING items, items as gifts (not for personal used)--are NOT allowed by US Customs and will be confiscated.

In the US, shipping counterfeit items can also come under Mail Fraud (and this also counts when coming from abroad because US services are involved in delivery).

Many other countries have laws against importing or bringing counterfeits--any!--into the country. (France and Italy, I think, have stricter laws than the US.)

SELLING a counterfeit is illegal.

Just because something isn't going to get you jail time or fines doesn't mean it's the RIGHT thing to do, you know. So yeah, the US won't track down everyone buying counterfeits, but that's mostly because it's not cost-effective for them. They will go after the big guys with the big brand names. BUT you are doing the SAME thing as the big counterfeit traders, just on a level that's too small to go after... at least at this time. When tracking stolen mp3 downloading became more easy, individuals started to get caught and prosecuted.

Here's the Mail Fraud code--

18 U.S.C. 1341.
      Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, or to sell, dispose of, loan, exchange, alter, give away, distribute, supply, or furnish or procure for unlawful use any counterfeit or spurious coin, obligation, security, or other article, or anything represented to be or intimated or held out to be such counterfeit or spurious article, for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice or attempting so to do, places in any post office or authorized depository for mail matter, any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by the Postal Service, or deposits or causes to be deposited any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by any private or commercial interstate carrier, or takes or receives therefrom, any such matter or thing, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail or such carrier according to the direction thereon, or at the place at which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any such matter or thing, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both. If the violation affects a financial institution, such person shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.