1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you approach "refining" a BJD collection?

Feb 14, 2021

1. I find the guideline of eliminating duplicates has been helpful to me. I don't have dolls that are exact duplicates, but I do have some that are similar. The dolls I have recently decided I'm ready to let go of are similar to others I like far more.

2. Resurrecting an old thread because it was quite interesting to read. My BJD collection has always been small (<5 dolls for a long time until recently) and it's unlikely to reach double digits. (at least, I hope it won't :lol:) So I found it eye-opening to discover how people refine big collections. I'd like to read more experiences about this!

I think my refinement process begins before I buy anything. I've noticed that when I fall in love with a doll, often it's not just about that doll alone -- I also think about the sculptor/company's entire body of work, and whether I want to own and enjoy a representative of their works. And after I've bought that doll, I seem to lose interest in anything else by that sculptor -- it feels that I own "their best" (to my subjective taste) doll already. So I'm free to move on to look for new dolls and dollmakers to admire. I suppose that's because I like variety, but still want a small collection. Maybe this is refining a dollmaker's entire catalogue down to a single doll (or head or body) in my collection.

I also refine by thinking about the doll's character (I shell OCs). I invest very heavily into each of my dolls, and I think of them all as a single cast where everyone has a particular role distinctive to them. So a pretty face isn't enough reason to to be in this cast: I'm always asking a potential doll, "Why should you be mine, what can you give me that my crew doesn't already give me? I have limited money, energy and attention: so why do I need you and your character in my life instead of just enjoying you in photos?" That screens out most things.

At least, that's what I've noticed in my recent buying patterns. I don't think I'm doing this consciously, just following my own tastes, but that's how my doll collection looks now -- from a range of makers, with a variety of aesthetic styles and and body sizes/heights. Perhaps I'm more of a curator than a collector? But I'm quite satisfied with a small doll family, I feel like I enjoy the hobby a lot more if I refine them even before I start buying any resin.

And refinement can happen for a small(ish) collection too... I have 7 dolls, and I'm in the process of culling one and evaluating a second whether I want to keep it or not. I've been asking both dolls the same questions - "Why should you be mine? What can you give me that my other dolls can't?" It's slow and takes time, I don't like to rush it. But I guess it never ends.

3. Totally agree with @aihre, refinement can happen within smaller collections.
      I have been stuck at 6 dolls for a few years already, with no desire to buy new ones, but now one of them is being kept inside its box because I haven't touched it for months. I also collect by characters and, sadly, the story-line it belonged to doesn't interest me anymore, so if I don't find me longing for it or trying to design a new character to fit other story-line, it will surely go.

#43 Yami_Hanako, Feb 13, 2024
      Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    4. I am still pretty new in the hobby but I have reached the point of slowing down and refining my collection. I bought a lot in my first couple of years and sold very little so now I’m clearing out the ones I bought due to fear of missing out or just the urge to have a new doll.

I started with the ones that were frustrating to style, then moved on to ones that don’t have that special something I love. If they don’t stand out to me, I don’t want to restyle them, or take pictures of them they are in line to find a new home. My stopping point will be when I am left with ones I enjoy spending time on. Also like others have said, if I put them in a box and miss them I will not sell them.

5. I had the experience of refining my collection when I came back from trying to leave the hobby. I sold all the dolls that didn't interest me and kept the ones that I felt joy handling. Now, though, the number is growing and I'm having to make some hard decisions. There are some dolls I own that are gorgeous but I don't know if working on them and getting them looking great is something I want to do? It's especially difficult because it's winter now, which is not faceup weather, so I can't work on my dolls at the moment as I'd like. It's hard to tell if that feeling will return once I'm able to work on them again.

I think the "time" you choose to refine your collection is just as important as the metric you use to refine it. If you're depressed and apathetic towards your collection, refining it at that time might not be the best idea. You might sell something that you'll regret once you feel better.