1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you build your doll's wardrobe?

Sep 11, 2017

1. I would like to try a corset, do you use a pattern?
      Or make your own pattern for it?

2. I do my own always:) even now i traded a doll with one of the DoA user for my clothes and we decided that ill get the body before i even get to make the clothes for this doll since id prefer to have it by me to take the measurements correctly xD

But yoy know what can help? Especially with more complicated corset patterns (made out of several parts)? Try some soft food paper- wrap it around the doll and squeeze it around the doll to make it look like a mummy/plaster. Cut it straight at the back then, take it off (itll look like a shell then xD) and cut into how many pieces you need. Then add half a cm on each side for the stitches and youre done ;) lett me know if you need me to upload some pics od how i do it on flickr <3

3. Oh i totally understand, what a good idea and so simple, i would never think of it....thank you..
      I think this would work for me

4. I guess I forgot to tell one vital part.... once you have this paper squeezed around the doll, wrap the torso with a tape (regular transparent for office purposes :) because otherwise the paper will unfold :) Let me know how it went <3

5. I buy clothes specifically for certain dolls. It's been a slow process finding the proper aesthetic beyond just suits, but it's rewarding to be able to put together an outfit that is perfect for your doll. I'd love to learn to sew my own doll clothes too

6. I really look for clothing that jumps out at me - bold colours. I'm a big fan of unique cultural clothing (like kimonos, hanboks etc). As well, I really like cute clothes as opposed to overly sexy clothing.

7. Haha, this is exactly how I work. I like your plan though!

8. I get clothes specifically for one doll. My dolls don't share clothes, because usually when I make or buy something it's specifically with the doll's character in mind. I have a lot of fabric just lying around because I keep buying it with the intention to make more clothes and then putting off actually working on it. :sweat I do prefer to make things myself though, if possible. It adds a more unique touch and it's also a good way to save some cash.

9. How do you go about creating your doll's wardrobe? Do you slowly amass one piece at a time, buy a full wardrobe while you're waiting for them to arrive, or something else?

10. For my first doll, I bought some socks, a pair of boots, a wig and a small outfit that came with a shirt and shorts for him so he wouldn't have to stay naked once he got home.
      From there, I've both made and bought a few more pieces of clothes and accessories that I can mix and match so he can have multiple outfits without having to have a giant wardrobe.

What about you, @Derpquisitor ?

11. For Dia, I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do with her. She came with a white frilly outfit that never looked quite right so I ended up getting her a blue Angell-Studio outfit that she stayed in for about two years. About a month ago, I found another outfit that fit her aesthetic on a whim and suddenly her style just came to me. Since then I've kinda gone crazy buying pieces that felt right to me on etsy. Now, I just have to wait for all of them to come in.

For my boy who hasn't come in, I already kinda knew what I wanted to do with him. I've started to bookmark pages with pieces that fit his personality and I'm hoping to have a wardrobe for him before he gets here.

12. I hate naked dolls, so when I order one, I tend to order underpants, shoes, and then at least a t-shirt and jeans/shorts. I also have eyes waiting and usually a wig (or they borrow Lee's hat, but he misses it. XD) while I prepare wig making stuff.

To be honest, most of my dolls have one outfit each. Sometimes they'll do swapsies but I do need to start collecting more clothes. Iago has winter and summer outfits, and Teo has normal clothes plus a comical onesie I made for him. I'm not great at sewing, but really want to learn.

13. I wait until they have arrived, then I can see how they would like to be dressed. Bought clothing from bjd companies, made some, had some made. Some clothing doesn't suit, so it is put away for another doll. For putting a doll into a character you like from
      a movie, tv series, or game, it takes longer to dress them. Usually research and study the outfits, then research some more on how to make them myself, or find someone who can :-) I do like my dolls to have at least four outfits each. One for each season, and a few extras for other occasions. :-) It is nice though, to have extra accessories like eye sets, wigs, shoes.

14. I begin plans when I order, then get the clothes or make them once the doll gets here!:3

15. I have a bare minimum for each doll, and that's 3 tops, 2 bottoms, one pair of underwear or bra and panties set, 2 pairs of shoes. Anything else is extra, though I do prefer each doll to own more. I try to at least have the bare minimum by the time the doll is home and complete (though sometimes fail if it's a trade or secondhand doll), the rest I will just buy or make as time and money allow.

16. I want so many outfits for my dolls. I'm slowly buying piece by piece. I'm waiting on my first 60cm doll. It should be a few months so I'm trying to find a few things before he arrives.

17. I amass their clothing piece by piece. Buying clothes can add up depending on the company, and sewing takes time. What does help is having dolls of similar size and fashion preferences.

18. I go piece by piece in case I decide to change their style at some point, and I wait until the doll shows up and I have the eyes and wig that I want on her. I try to keep my other doll's dress styles in mind when I buy clothes for a single doll as well, because that way things can be easily shared and re-used.

19. I have a really difficult time justifying buying doll clothes because I sew, but every so often I will splurge on a statement piece that would take me too long to pattern out and make myself, or has too many fiddly findings to source.

Regardless of where the clothes come from, I tend to buy/make one piece at a time for a specific doll. Sometimes they steal from each other, but as their styles are pretty varied, this is rare.

I have a drawer stuffed full of clothes I have made for them or purchased (mostly secondhand) and between it all there is enough for everyone to change outfit each season. Since no one runs the risk of being naked now, (and I’m out of room for generic clothing) in the future I want to focus even more on coming up with signature pieces for each character rather than “hmm, this material is thin enough to be a shirt”, even if that means buying new from shops on taobao/etc.

#59 Havra, Nov 9, 2017
      Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    20. I'm only more than 1 month into this hobby and I've bought over $500 in outfits even though I have just one doll and 3 more on layaway! :lol: If the clothes look good, then right to the shopping cart it goes! :danceI enjoy shopping for clothes, wigs and eyes and can spend days doing it :sweat For each doll, I make sure they have at least one full outfit set and they can share with one another as I don't have a specific concept for them. I do have a specific type of clothing I prefer, however... I don't really buy casual clothes, I go for more bohemian, retro, steampunk, lolita, and victorian fashion styles. As for the order of purchase, I go -> full set outfits -> dresses -> shirts/pants/corsets -> wigs -> eyes -> accessories (glasses, headbands, etc) -> and eventually socks/shoes.

A huge purchase I'm about to make next year is a 52cm doll and I can only visualize her in steampunk clothing due to the sculpt and faceup so I'm going to do just that. :celebrate