1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you build your doll's wardrobe?

Sep 11, 2017

1. All my dols have their own clothes, accessoires and weapons. They are character bound. I also have "free" set of clothes for every doll to wear or for new dolls to use as long as their set are not yet bought.

2. This is a great discussion thread...

When I first started collecting, I kept my collection in the same size to be able to accommodate one size wig to order, one size eye and so on.

This worked for me at first...for a while.

I began experimenting with different size dolls and found I preferred the little ones like Pukifee scale.

So I collected only those in that size for the longest time.

Shopping for them was easy. I had already established a large wardrobe in their size.

Same with shoes and eyes.

I tended to buy artist full sets so that they came with Faceups and wigs already.

And as far as clothing, I love Etsy shopping and I tend to be loyal to certain shops so I keep up with my favorites and buy from them continuously to support the small business owner and because I like the style they offer.

Now that my collection has changed drastically, I do try to keep up with my favorite sellers still, especially in the MSD range of clothing.

Seasonal outfits are major for me too. And finding shoes is difficult but I try my best to have my dolls dressed from head to toe, especially when I take them outside for photo sessions.

I do try to have a small amount of dolls so that I can devote more funds towards the wardrobe part of collecting.

It's all a part of collecting and having a nice wig selection and eyes and clothing makes a big difference.;)

3. I haven’t gotten my doll yet but I’m browsing to get an idea of what clothes I’d like her to have. I’m nervous about buying the wrong thing. The specific aesthetic I’m looking for seem hard to find, so in the future I might have to commission something.

4. I don’t sew. I buy a lot on etsy:roll:

5. My BJDs don't have their own styles yet. I have to make everything for them, starting with the patterns. It is a long process. I don't have many dolls within my crew that can share clothes. They mostly are of different sizes and have non-Volks proportions. It has happened that some clothes I bought didn't fit anybody, and when they do, they don't always fit the doll I want them for :doh , so it doesn't help.

I like them to wear the right clothes for the season, it pushes me to improve. I am planning to move from casual basic wear to making more fashion-conscious items in time.

When I buy something, it is usually through Ebay, Etsy or Alice's collections. Sometimes Tata Paradise. I have bought accessories through BJD dealers as well, like weapons, and they will need to be painted at some point. I have some cheap jewellery from Claire's that need to be adapted to dolls' sizes as well.

I am looking forward to the summer at the moment: I'd love to be able to sew or make things outdoors. A lot of my crew's face ups are unfinished due to bad weather/wrong timing. I still have a lot to do before they all have the right kit :3nodding:. But it will happen!

6. purely i plan on having them to each have styles and ill be makeing and buy ing clothes to suit what i want their styles to be <3

7. I always intend to make my own clothes, but it never happens. I browse etsy more often than I should, and I always have something in my cart ^^; ...I spend more money than I'd like to admit on my dolls wardrobes. Thankfully they all take similar sized clothes, so they are able to mix and match outfits relatively easily. Each of my dolls has a theme for their clothing, although it's very fluid.

8. I'm fairly new to the hobby (been on and off it and only recently revived my interest in them again) so I'm starting from scratch with a capsule wardrobe scheme that I use for my own wardrobe. The idea is to maximise combinations with as few individual items as possible. It helps that my doll's character leans towards minimalist/casual modern styles rather than, say, fantasy or historical. I'm starting small with everyday pieces like t-shirts, jeans, casual jackets and sweaters. I'm planning to make scarves and tote bags myself.

9. ...lazily? :sweat I used to have this principle of only sewing their clothes myself, and this led to them having no clothes, or something sad they borrowed (come to think of it, they still do that). Most of my crew have very different styles, so there's not much sharing, but I'd like for everyone to have at least one good outfit. There's quite a way to go still, two have everything borrowed and two are naked - and the naked ones are weird sizes I can't buy anything, so sewing it is.

10. I typically buy but I’d like to tackle sewing one day soon. When I do buy I like to go for full outfits with flexible individual pieces. Shoes need to be the most flexible for me so I can have multiple outfits but not so many shoes haha...

I have a feeling that for the incoming doll I have that he won’t be changing his outfit much since the outfit he’s coming with is sooooo dreamy. My pukifee and MSD girl get plenty of outfit changes though. In fact the MSD has two full outfits on the way at once... maybe it’s more appropriate to say I build my dolls’ wardrobes in bursts lol

11. When I buy a doll first is wig and boots. Then jeans and socks. After that is shirts that is hard part. Want pattern and color with long sleeves. The more shirts the better.

12. Mostly my dolls get new clothes whenever I have time to make them something. I try to have something I think will probably fit waiting for them when they arrive so they aren't stark naked; currently I'm working on a green flannel dress for my first YOSD. I like to try to keep my girls in seasonally appropriate attire, which is why they all got warm outfits for christmas (or a bit before). I also like to take advantage of our university's free store to get material, although I haven't been as good about that lately. :| It's the cheapest method for me, and I'm a pretty decent seamstress at this point.

(My momonita is the exception: she gets new clothes whenever I find a good deal on some fashion doll clothes the right size. I have limits, and sewing with a 1/8" seam allowance is one of them. I've done it, but I'm not likely to do it again any time soon.)

13. I keep a cute hello kitty book to list things that my dolls need and will check mark things off the list in order to get more clothing and eat for my dolls.

14. I usually do the "season" buying for my dolls also. I too like them to have a complete outfit, shoes and all.

I used to keep a photo log of the clothes I saw online that I liked so that I could go back and purchase those items. I haven't done that for a while. Right now, what they have is what they have. I am saving for a new doll so clothing for current dolls will have to wait.

15. I go through seasons with buying. I buy few outfits but the high quality ones I adore. February I bought outfits for the girls. Treacle hasn’t arrived yet so she wasn’t part of it. Hoshi got 2, Aiko got 3, Nezuko got 4, Yumi got 2. It was around $1,000. Yikes. They will be good for a long time.