1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you buy dolls?

Jul 28, 2016

1. I generally buy new because the dolls I'm looking for aren't being sold second-hand. With that said, I do own one second-hand doll, and she happens to be my favorite.

All my experiences have been pretty average. My questions and/or requests get answered in a timely and appropriate manner. :kitty2

2. What are some secondhand markets to go to? I just started getting interested in bjd. I missed out on some dim minimee heads and some iplehouse already! Arrghh

3. I've bought all but one of mine new. About half were bought through an United States dealer, as I feel safer ordering from within my own country, and paying is smoother. I tried to order a DIM doll directly and somehow my order didn't work, but I've had no problems with Denver Doll. A few of mine are from a small BJD company in America. Actually, the only dolls I've ordered directly from an Asian company are my Soom dolls.

4. Hey there, these questions are a bit off topic for this thread. You should search for threads about these questions, or start your own thread. Then you may get more responses

5. Many of my dolls are limited, and older models, so I've bought quite a few second hand. It usually works out cheaper that way anyway. But I do like to order directly from the artist. I've several dolls that are made by small, one person studios and it's nice to interact with the doll's creator as it's being made.

6. I
      I like new, but if I see a doll at a good price, if I have the money, that I happen to like then they will come live with me.

7. At first I was really reliant on dealers that already had dolls in stock because instant gratification.

8. I've had some luck on mercari, mandarake, ebay with secondhand dolls, rare ones, and parts.

9. I've bought new and secondhand, reseller and direct - basically whatever the best/cheapest way to get what I want happens to be. My new ones have yet to arrive, so right now I only have real experience with secondhand off DoA. It wasn't a good experience and caused me to leave the hobby for years, but now I'm back and buying from everywhere! Dolls/resin parts aside, I've also bought eyes and wigs from literally everywhere and never had a problem.

10. I have a proxy buying service in Japan I have used. She will go to the dolk japan website for me for certain dolls' links and look around the Asian market for me. Out of 5 dolls she found 2 and they were both sold out super rare ones so it's hit and miss but you get lucky sometimes

With the dolls I want they'll have to be secondhand and worth the risk but I feel ok getting them from places other people have given good feedback on. Just do some research on reviews and the doll and then go for it. Most people use paypal even with the fees can help protect your transactions

#30 kmisko, Jul 30, 2016
      Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2016
    11. I usually buy my dolls second hand. So far there is only one doll I've actually purchased directly from the maker. I have bought dolls new before, but usually I buy them second-hand new if so. I use Mandarake and Y!Japan the most, but sometimes eBay is an option. I would like to eventually use the MP here or try DDE as well but haven't yet.

I don't mind buying second hand at all, and I feel like it's actually a little bit better of a way to do it for myself personally. I've bought a lot of "rescue" dolls.

12. I bought two complete dolls and several heads directly from the company, and the rest is second hand. I like second hand, at least when it's cheaper, but I've bought parts for more than new as well (damn availability)... as long as the second hand dolls are in good condition or cheap enough to make up for possible damage, I kinda prefer that cause the ~3 months waiting periods with companies are a bit too much for me.

13. I have only bought secondhand. I tend to buy from mandarake. I bought a smart doll from ebay. And I bought a head from someone on the dollfiedreams forum and then purchased her a body from Volks.

Whatever means I purchase a doll, it's typically going to be secondhand for dollfie dream. I'm ok with that. I just wait for a good deal. I have a couple must haves but everything else is about getting a good deal.

14. So far I've only bought new dolls, via dealer or directly from company. If I have to, I'll buy pre-owned^^. I kinda prefer new tho, because I feel like the doll is made especially for me, especially for my character. Idk if that makes sense haha.

For pre-owned, I've only been browsing the MP. Feels safer than other websites.

I've only recently ordered dolls directly from company, it's too soon to talk about my experience. I hope everything will go without problems..! That said, it kind of bothers(?) me that some of them ask you to send payment via PayPal, but by yourself. I'm so scared I sent to the wrong address until I get payment confirmation, even if I copy pasted the address from their page hahaha;;

15. It depends upon availability honestly for me. If it's something I need to order and not in the market, I'll buy new. If it has been around and it's in the marketplace already, I have no issues to buy it secondhand. I have to admit the advantage of secondhand is the greatly reduced wait time versus having to patiently wait to have a doll casted, finished and painted before it can be shipped to you.

16. Typically I buy my dolls direct from the company. There are a few artists that I follow and those are typically by email. I'll use a distributor if the company doesn't sell direct. I did buy a couple dolls from the market place that were being sold by the artist because she was discontinuing a line. So happy I was cruising the market place then....

There really aren't any dolls out there that I want and don't have, so I'm not on the market place or second hand groups very often unless I'm just curious or bored. In general I have a list of companies/artists that I follow - so I just wait to see what's released next.

All experiences have been really good. I love ordering from small artists, it's so personal. I only had one case where the head took much much longer to receive than estimated and the communication was almost nil. It was a little painful but all in all, I've been really lucky. Dolls that arrived damaged were quickly replaced without issue. So I figure I can go through the pain of a delayed dolly to balance my luck out. :)

17. i bought my doll, as second-hand doll. And i find it ok. But i would also buy new doll.
      I must like the doll, and if i like it, than its not importand for me, she is new or not.

18. It really depends for me.
      I love to buy new dolls for sure, but sometimes I'm lucky enough to find a doll I want being sold secondhand either in our community, within the state or even within the USA, which in itself saves on the cost of shipping from over seas.

Occasionally I will buy a secondhand head and buy a new body for it, or vice versa. But when it comes to secondhand dolls, full or just parts, quality and condition are huge factors. I will over look a great deal on a damaged/ unsalvageable/ unknown condition piece and go for a more expensive new one where I know the what the conditions are.

Overall, if I'm spending money on something, I want to know that it's in good shape and that it's worth what I'm paying for.

19. I haven't bought a doll yet, being new to bjd, but so far I think I'd prefer to buy from the company directly. I don't mind if the doll is secondhand but I'm afraid to buy from a complete stranger online ;

20. I bought my first doll directly from the company, and all my other dolls I also plan to buy new, though I really want a Switch head and since it looks as if they take too long restocking doll heads, I would probably need to buy secondhand. But since that head isn't in my doll priorities, it'd be a while before I do that. Unless I cave in, that is.