1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you buy dolls?

Jul 28, 2016

1. I prefer to buy dolls from firm, I love new. As they have no history, there are a wish to be the first owner for them.

From firm I had no problems with purchases. ^^

2. This is a hard question in my opinion. I have an equal amount of new dolls and secondhand dolls. I always scour through the Marketplace here and if i fall in love with a doll I will do what I can to purchase it. This is the same with new dolls. If I fall in love with a doll on one of the firms websites i'll buy that. I don't really mind having secondhand dolls, nor do I want to only go for second hand dolls, it all depends on when and where I fall in love.

3. I like to buy new dolls, but if I had an opportunity to buy a good second hand model of a doll that I like of course I would buy it

4. I prefer to buy new dolls, straight from the company, but I usually end up buying through a dealer instead.

5. I don't care if they are new or not. I'm looking for certain sculpts, decent prices, and ease of purchase. I'll buy new when it's cheaper & easier - when there's layaway for instance. I HAVE to buy 'second hand' if I want a Volks, even if it's brand-new in-the-box - cause I normally need layaway, don't have much luck w/lotteries, & frankly hate dealing w/most Japanese marketing because it's so often inane (this is NOT just directed at Volks BTW). I have had terrible times trying to buy from other sites (IOS for instance). Iplehouse on the other hand is very user-friendly, but I've an IH that I bought off the MP because of price. So it all depends on what's available.

6. I buy mostly new, directly from companies-- because they are often limited and I don't want to worry about getting the exact doll I want, with the resin color, clothes and faceup and parts on the secondary market.

I have bought second-hand, when I happen to see a doll I want, or when I have missed out on a company sales period. I have no problem buying used--and prefer it considering price and shipping and waiting times, but I can't guarantee finding the specific dolls I want.

Buying new also avoids the problems of bad sellers and poor/undisclosed condition and re-casts. I only buy used on the DoA Marketplace now, because it's the most trustworthy. I have bought on Ebay in the past, and would buy from authorized dealers there now, but there are lots of re-casts on Ebay, so I'm avoiding it now. I would never buy on FB because there are no safeguards and lots of unreliable sellers.

7. I just put my first bjd on layaway last month, but I think I like the idea of a new doll without a history. As far as actually buying dolls, I kinda like the idea of using a dealer, less worry for me esp. where overseas shipping is concerned.

8. I'm a "both" person. I especially like using dealers for new dolls, but for second-hand, I'm in the Marketplace. Some of my favorites are second-hand dolls. :)

9. I don't really have a preference as to how I buy dolls - though the one exception is that, if I'm buying a new doll and there's a dealer available I'd always go through the dealer. Otherwise, I'm open to marketplace here, Y!Japan auctions etc.

10. after some not stellar experiences with buying second hand US bjds I have a tendency to want to buy new now or from someone I can trust to be honest about the doll or at least has the same ideas or criteria over what a doll should be looking like and description of such. The only exceptions would be a particular face mold if it was one I desperately wanted or a really good price on a legitimate doll to buy one used

11. my first boy was second-hand, but my girl waiting at the post-office is new from DiM

12. I have a few dolls that I bought new and a few second hand, but I recently realized I can't bond with new dolls. I don't know why, but maybe it's knowing they were just made and came out of a box, maybe it's seeing their fullset and feeling sad to customize them and they seem lifeless... I've been selling all of these except for my very first doll, the only one I bonded with.

I think there's something special in adopting a used doll and giving it a new life. For some reason, it makes the dolls look alive to me, and it makes me much happier to know I'm giving them another chance, and I end up loving them much more this way. I think that's also why I don't mind selling the dolls I don't "like", I feel much happier for them seeing the pictures of their new owners.

I know I'm a weirdo because they're actually inanimate objects, but I can't help but feel this way xD

13. I've bought the majority of mine used. Only a few have been lottery wins or special order. My first doll was from an Ebay seller who had bought it as an investment to sell later, so I was really the one to do more than inventory the contents of the box. She was & is my grail before I knew what those terms ment. The rest of the collection is about half Super Dollfie & half Dollfie Dreams. My primary source is Mandarake. Never had a problem with them. Parts bought from there and Ebay make up about 1/2 my DDs. Ebay I already knew to be aware of, so I already had a few bad experiences in other hobbies before entering bjd collecting. Never had a bad deal there, but I've been careful & fortunate. I've only got two guys, and now I'm going to start concentrating on correcting that. Used dolls have typically cost substantially less, much faster to get, and very satisfying to own. Just won an Ebay auction for a SD13 Shizu Kimono version (FDQ), best offer was accepted, so will have it in hand about the end of next week. Another wish - listed score!

14. With all this second-hand talk I gotta ask, I don't have marketplace access yet. Do you guys have any recommendations on second-hand doll buying though websites that aren't DoA? Tips on spotting recasts maybe?

15. Personally, I bought my first BJD second hand on a Facebook group and a French forum that's like DoA.
      But before finding the head & body from people I could trust, I did find a few options I wasn't sure about. Some people on DoA told me that as a newbie I could just open a thread asking the mods for help, with pictures and such... And indeed they did! They were very nice, fast, and helpful. So I think that's your best option if you do find a doll you want but you aren't sure, at least until you're more confident about recognizing recasts.

16. Thank you, if I come across something I'll make a thread!

17. I bought about half my collection new from the company and half were second-hand, many from the DOA marketplace, a couple from friends, a few from Mandarake, and a few from Ebay. You can find some great deals second-hand, especially with older dolls. I happen to like the older "anime" aesthetic. However, be very cautious with Ebay. I've managed to avoid recasts, but one doll I bought was more yellowed than the seller indicated and the picture was taken so you could not tell. Since the price was so low and the sculpt discontinued (It was an Angel Region Little Fair Ami), I decided to just make the best of it, but lesson learned!

18. Most of mine are bought through the company. Bought a couple from eBay. Only one has been bad one fro eBay when I didn't know what I was doing.

19. Well... I dont really care if they are new or pre-owned all I care is price
      Usualy I buy on ebay and similar since i don't wan't problems
      But since i have only 2 dolls i have less expirience nor specially good nor bad

20. i prefer to buy them new apart from heads i think its ok to buy it preowned XD but i dont support the preowned body though