1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you buy dolls?

Jul 28, 2016

1. I purchased one doll from a friend, and my new one from Jeeryama. I actually would prefer to buy from friends or others at conventions/meet ups just to save on shipping.

2. I'd love to buy one brand new, but honestly I'd be too afraid of not liking it as much as the photo because they are stock photos.. i like buying 2nd hand because sometimes they have unique faceups & come with wig & eyes

3. I typically have bought new from the company, or from dealers if they are in stock. I'm not really adverse to buying 2nd hand I just haven't. The long waits associated with buying direct are sometimes good because there is no satisfaction from impulse buying if the doll doesn't come for 3+ months.

4. I prefer to buy new. Even if I can save buying it secondhand, I would rather have the added security of dealing with a business.

I have bought secondhand, however. I bought two Luts Abadon heads, one standard and one the limited Dreaming version, and both I bought through the Marketplace. If I had to buy something secondhand, I would much rather buy it through the MP because even if I have problems, there are resources available to me here.

5. Firstly, I will find out if it is limited doll and if I can buy the new one in any website. If I still can buy the doll, I will buy them directly on the website. If the doll was sold out, I will post information in any social media and let the sellers contact me if they have the dolls. Some times, I use Japanese Yahoo to buy the second hand dolls.

6. i always buy used... Only purchased new one time and i no longer own it.

7. I had a similar question. I'm trying to live an ecological, almost waste-free, life; and I was wondering if it would be considered weird to own only second-hand dolls? I know this forum is mostly for doll collectors, and perhaps a few people are a bit snobbish, but I think it's important to remain myself in everything I do.

8. Not at all! I own predominantly second-hand with this reason in mind, actually.

9. I prefer to buy new dolls from company

10. Thanks! I'm really glad I'm not the only one! :thumbup

11. I wouldn't mind buying second hand, but I don't feel comfortable buying from anyone outside of DoA because I'm too new in this hobby to be able to spot recasts easily myself. I don't have marketplace access yet, but I'm not in a hurry to get it because I'm planning on buying my first doll new anyway. ;)

12. So far I've only bought my dolls new and directly from the company. There are a couple of girls that I'd like to obtain can only be bought secondhand now, though, so hopefully I'll have some good luck when the time comes.

13. I prefer new one as I am not sure if there is any hidden problem for 2nd hand dolls.

14. I don't mind if it is a secondhand doll or brand new doll as long as it is a sculpt I love. But of course if the secondhand one is cheaper than a new one I prefer the secondhand one (unless the condition of the doll is not good)

15. I prefer to buy them new, and directly from the companies as a show of support. Once in a blue moon, I order them through official agents/dealers.

I have many good experiences with buying directly from companies and I find that many of them, if not all, are very much willing to accommodate your requests as much as they can.:)

16. Nah, it's not weird at all, and I seriously doubt anyone would be "snobbish" enough to consider it so. My last two dolls could only be obtained secondhand, and I'm preeeeeeetty sure nobody thinks I'm weird for hunting down a limited Volks doll long since discontinued. (They might think I'm weird for waiting ten years to get one, but that is an entirely different kettle of fish.) If it was weird, the secondhand market wouldn't be as active as it is.

Now, onto the question...

At this point in my collecting career, I only buy secondhand. I don't even pay attention to new releases. I know what I want, and secondhand is pretty much the only way to get it. It's no big deal to me. Of my eight, though, four and a half were new, and of the two I've sold on, one was new and one was secondhand. (The 'half' is I bought Dave's head new, but his body was secondhand.) Three and a half came directly from the company; the fourth was through a dealer that no longer exists but was an absolute joy to work with. (And I didn't have to pay a damn thing for shipping, because I got to pick him up in person from the store. So awesome.) I've had very good experiences purchasing directly from the companies, though. Dream of Doll, in particular, pulled off a goddamn miracle for me -- I had my doll shipped to a friend, who was going to make his outfit, and I had a one-week window five weeks after I ordered in which to pick him up. They pulled it off. Faceup and all. Never gonna forget that.

17. You have an excellent point there: when a doll is very rare, waiting for a new batch to be produced might sound like wishful thinking. You can buy a new car, but there's some glory in hunting down a 1962 Ferrari for a decent price (assuming that you could find one in good shape for a decent price, but as you said it's a "different kettle of fish").

I'm new here, but I was comparing to other hobbies, or even fashions, were snobbism is, unfortunately, a common pratice; so I'm glad if it's not the case here. :) Who needs that sort of pressure?

18. Since dolls are so expensive I prefer buying them second hand on DOA, eBay or on Facebook groups. About half of my dolls are bought second hand, and I've had only positive experience so far. Got some real good deals as well :) But, if my funds where limitless I would of course buying them all from Companies. There is however one advantage buying second hand, you get your doll fast, instead of that painful waiting time ordering from Companies.

19. Do you prefer to buy them pre-owned or new?
      I do not overly have a preference. If I ah after a doll that is still in production, I will check the MP to see if someone is selling one first to both save a little and to help out someone else. I should note that I have only gone after an in production doll once. :sweat
      Save the one doll, all of mine are either new bought from the company limiteds, or out of production dolls I had to find secondhand.

If you buy them pre-owned, do you usually go through the marketplace here or other second hand websites?
      I prefer the marketplace for feedback sake. Seems much safer than a facebook sale. I have bought from ebay as well (used doll and not one that was ever recast).

Also, what are some really amazing/awful experiences you've had purchasing dolls new directly from companies?
      I had a doll on layaway with Soom. I was all set to make the final payment and then they released another doll I just had to have. I could not make both my final layaway payment and start up a new one at the same time. Soom was kind enough to take what I still owed on the first order and add it to a new layaway. They even shipped both dolls together to save me shipping costs. :)

On a side tangent ... I bought a secondhand doll once and after a bunch of drama (I got scalped, seller did not have doll in hand, original seller almost backed out of deal with seller I bought from, took WEEKS to ship once they got the doll in hand, and when I got my doll, there was a LIVE COCKROACH in the box!!! The seller was banned for other various shady dealings soon after (selling the same doll to multiple people).

20. I think i'll buy my first one pre-owned