1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you buy dolls?

Jul 28, 2016

1. I like shopping both new and preowned. I like preowned because you can get it pretty fast, the only thing faster is DOA in stock items.( took like 2 days!) I've bought a few preowned off instagram, and facebook. Funny because I bought a doll off facebook and was looking for another specific doll and found it on instagram and when I sent my address the girl goes "I just sold you a doll on Fb". Small world! Could of saved on shipping lol.

2. At first, I would buy brand new, directly from the companies. Someone mentioned having a bad experience with Fairyland, and so did I, so I opened up to buying secondhand dolls as well, and I actually love my secondhand dolls more than the ones I planned out in advance to order! Sometimes there are really good deals when you buy secondhand, also, which is nice.

3. still new to this hobby and so far, i've been buying my dolls pre-owned, mostly through instagram (for now). i have thought about buying through the official website but little things prevent me from it. but it'll happen. i have bought doll stuff off etsy or secondhand as well which hasn't been bad. but yeah...still new and trying not to buy so many things but they're just so tempting o.o it's a bit hard :P

i maybe slightly prefer pre-owned because it tends to be a cheaper price but i do try to get ones that are more new :P but haven't really gotten brand new which will be nice down the line :)

haven't had that many bad experiences buying dolls/doll stuff so i consider that good :) but we'll see as time goes

4. I generally like to buy secondhand! I’ve been scooping up the dolls my friends put up for sale recently, and next to that I actually go out of my way to find fixer uppers that show promise— cheap options that offer restoration and modding practice!
      I don’t usually keep them when I’m done making them pretty, but I remember each one and hope their new owners love them!
      When it comes to buying new from a company, I’ve had terrible luck. It’s discouraged me from buying new dolls because I expect a certain level of quality, but receiving a new doll that’s damaged, dirty, missing parts of my order, or otherwise subpar has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I will say that Resinsoul has given me the best new doll experience, even when my Song arrived with a broken ankle! I was sent a pair of replacement legs at no extra cost and they shipped lightning fast! Resinsoul was my magical new doll experience, and I’m excited to turn to them for more dolls in the future!

5. I have only 1 doll and bought it direct from mirodoll, I propably will not buy from ebay private or used as i want it untuched.
      Mel

6. I don't have a preference between new or second hand, I just want to get the sculpt I want! Which is usually second hand because it's so hard to catch/wait for preorder windows on the dolls I want. So far I have one second-hand and am in the process of buying one new and one second hand.
      I'm very strict with myself on only buying dolls that I absolutely love. If there's something about them I'm not wild about, I don't allow myself to buy that doll. The only exception to this rule is if I can mod the doll to how I want.

7. Almost all of my dolls have been bought secondhand. I prefer the thrill of the hunt!

8. I like buying dolls that dealers have in stock, just because I don't like long waits haha. Although I have no qualms against buying secondhand dolls.

9. I prefer to buy full dolls from companies, because doing layaway that way is so much easier. I do prefer to buy parts of dolls secondhand due to the price.

10. I prefer pre-owned, but also enjoy looking for the heads on second hand market!
      I ordered all of my dolls directly through the company theirselves, since I tend to be very indecisive about things, sometimes I email them when I want to make some changes in my order and talking to the company directly is easier to update and update the changes.

11. I personally like to buy secondhand. Poor dollies who need someone to love them. It's like adoption. They will love you more then a new doll would. All of mine are pieced together from different homes. I love them all so much! Its funny how their expressions change after they get welcomed into the family and settled into the swing of things.

12. Other than my dollfie dream, all my dolls are preloved! I usually buy from my local buysell app but i did bought a few dolls from a friend who stay in china, she can find cheaper authentic chinese company dolls. I oso buy from japan online store like mandarake and dollyteria.

13. I bought new direct from company. First head, then body. I love new things.

14. I have only one new doll, one artist head and two new Impldoll heads. All others are preowned. Because I don't mind yellowing, stains or small damage like broken and glued fingers I have made some real bargains. I mostly buy from local (Finnish) BJD group but also from facebook groups and DOA.

#114 Dark Jedi, Jun 9, 2018
      Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    15. I've so far bought straight from the company. It gives me a greater deal of control of exactly what I want. But after all this waiting I'm certainly curious about buying second hand. Especially after seeing a doll I just got pop up on Facebook for a good price with accessories, if there was such as a return policy I would have gone for it. But I am picky so I may end up waiting as long for specific dolls as buying them new.

16. I usually buy new, but thats because I like a lot of brand new releases, and the companies and dealers I buy from for the most part have more generous layaway options than I would get from a secondhand seller. I do buy secondhand sometimes though, and have found some great deals! When I browse secondhand dolls I strongly prefer to buy from the DOA marketplace but I have also bought from Facebook groups as well. Another thing that I love doing is joining splits with people. A lot of times you can get new items for cheaper than you normally would if you were buying things on their own. When it comes to long production times, I strangely don’t mind the wait. Shorter wait times don’t entice me to buy secondhand but good deals definitely do.

17. I prefer to buy new dolls, because often second hand dolls are priced the same as new dolls. I usually buy on layaway from a distributor such as Denver Doll or Alice Collections.

18. I generally prefer to buy secondhand. I can usually find the dolls I want much cheaper with only very minor imperfections, and then I only have to wait for them to ship. Sometimes I can even get them at a lower price, only gently used, AND with extras. People want their shit sold and I'm happy to take it off their hands. I've shopped here, facebook, instagram, ebay... everywhere I can, basically.

I've only tried buying dolls new 4 times... once it completely fell through and I was strung along for a month before being told the doll was discontinued. And the rest... well. I'm still waiting. I hate having my hard earned cash just floating around who knows where for 6+ months, it drives me crazy. I would rather just throw the money at you and have you send me the item right away.

19. I don't really have a preference; I've bought one secondhand, one through Alice's Collections, and one direct from the company site, though like most people have said, the discount and near-instant gratification of buying secondhand is nice. I just wish I had marketplace access so I could look around!

20. I don't have a preference on whether I buy new or not. I've bought both ways and have yet to have any serious problems on both sides. I guess the common downside to buying new would be the long wait times compared to second-hand though.