1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you carry your dolls around a convention?

Apr 16, 2019

1. I'm planning on bringing my doll to a convention and since having him in a carrier case all day is too much of a struggle for me (I'll be in cosplay), I'm looking for ideas. I thought about a stroller or a child's wagon, but even then, that's a hassle some way shape or form. My doll is sd sized so he isn't exactly small. How do you carry your doll around?

2. I don’t think there’s any way to make a big doll not at least a little bit of a hassle at cons. You just have to figure out if the hassle is worth it for you.

At conventions I usually only have one or two dolls (I’m a bigger doll collector too), and they’re either in the carrier/backpack or one’s in my arms if I feel like sharing that I’ve got them (usually to meet other doll owners). I don’t know what it’s like where you’re going, but at my local con bags are searched as you go in so I try to keep things pared down. It’s a workout but I like having the option to put them away if I don’t want attention because of them.

3. Ahh, I thought so. There's going to be a doll meet at my local con so I think the hassle will be worth it. It'll only be for one day, so I don't think it'll be too bad. Thanks for your advice!

4. I usually bring my yosd to conventions since he’s easy to handle and light as well! 65cm sd13 dolls can also be hand held~

5. I collect MSD size, but I've tried a regular doll carrier bag and a backpack in the past and I preferred the backpack. It distributes the weight better so my back or shoulders aren't hurting at the end of the day (Plus I can store con swag in there as well. ;)). My doll got a bit tousled in there, but I didn't worry about that. I just fixed her up when I decided to take her out.

6. I used to carry mine around at cons, and I'd usually dress them as a coordinating character to my cosplay. They're a pain to lug around, especially if you're big into shopping in the dealers room/artist alley. Basically they're like carrying around props, if you're used to that. Always in the way, and a bit of a handful (literally).:sweat
      However! If you do choose to dress them in character with you, then they're a valuable accessory! And if you have some sort of bag you can tote them in, that'll also help. Ita bags are good for MSD-size and below. SD-size and up you're gonna want a normal backpack.

7. Haven't gone to a con yet, but I'm going to one in July. I plan to take one SD and carry him around the whole time. I don't see carrying an SD around for too long as a problem so long as it's just the one. I'm also physically disabled, so I sit down a lot, and that helps. Just in case I'm taking an empty bag with a shoulder strap I can fold up and put in my purse for if my arm gets tired. One SD can sit comfortably in those large bag replacement totes.

8. I was walking around with a friend at Anime Detour this last month and we were both carrying dolls and she lamented over there not being a sling to carry dolls in so I have been thinking of making one so that it's hands-free but I have to find the time. I've seen other people do it with their dolls in the crook of their arm

9. Haven't been to a con yet either. We don't have them here in New Zealand. Such a shame, as there are BJD lovers here, for sure! I think maybe NZ Comic Com could bring out some Dollfie Dreams?
      If my dream came true and there was a convention here, I would carry the Lucky BJD I picked to come with me in my hands to show off. LOL!!

10. Does con security ever bother your dolls when they're NOT in bags? I'd be too paranoid to bring one in a bag, especially if people are gonna be stabbing my things with security batons, but do they ever touch dolls out of bags? Like the airport probably would..?

11. @AceDragonElf I've never seen a problem with a doll out of a bag, I've been in the dealers room and artist alley walking around with no trouble. I feel like if there was a problem then bjd's would be listed in the props that aren't allowed. Some cons also have meet-ups and bjd panels

12. I hand cary them like a child/baby

13. If you’re bringing a bag for your wallet and other essentials with you on the con floor, make it an over the shoulder long duffle/overnight bag. Whenever I carry a big doll around in the crook of my free arm at a con that arm gets sore and stiff relatively quickly, so having a place to put the doll is a good idea. If you can’t find one long enough, storing them in a sitting position in a box shaped cooler bag works great too (and it keeps your lunch fresh lol)

14. I haven't used it yet, but I bought a dog stroller to use at conventions. It sits higher off the ground that a child's stroller, so the dolls are more visible and less likely to be kicked accidently.

15. I usually just carry my doll around like a prop when they come out with me (although I'm still super conscious and embarassed about carrying a doll around as an adult). The biggest doll I've toted around is only 54-ish cm and about a kilo heavy so that's reasonable even for someone like me with CVS/ME/Fibro. It does knock me out the next day. I figure bigger dolls take a much higher toll on your arm muscles. With SD dolls I usually have someone with me who can take over the doll when I need my arms free for something. Tinies also get carried around like a little prop but they can be stashed in eyeglass cases, make-up bags, pencil cases, lanterns, ... I don't find anything YOSD or below ever gets in the way during shopping or anything though.

16. Since I only bring vinyl dolls to conventions... I have a chain around their waist with a metal ring on it. The hook is attached to a hook on my bag's shoulderstrap. It lets me have my hands free and still have a doll out of the bag. But I think it would only be doable with light dolls like Dollfie Dreams, Obitsu, SmD, and similar because of the weight.

17. I've brought 1/3 sized dolls to very large conventions (60,000 to 150,000 peopled). If you're just wanting to bring your doll to a meetup, it's probably best to keep it in a carrier that can be carried in a vertical position and kept close to your body if you're at a busy convention. A carrier also helps if you want to keep your hands free...

If you're at a less crowded con, you can carry your doll around. But be aware that they can get rubbed and knocked about and you might lose magnetic pieces and wigs and hats and shoes, etc.! If you have a delicate doll and it isn't part of your costume, it's probably best to have some sort of carrier for it.

At a crowded con, things like roller-bags and strollers will be difficult. But might work for some cons.

18. I've carried one of my SD sized dolls around at an outdoor meet in a Build-a-Bear carrier like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/313vZXLWEgL.jpg
      https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/0M__zIy-soGjzRJkeib1gA/o.jpg

They may be designed for small children to wear but they're pretty adjustable (I'm nearly 6ft tall and overweight so the shoulder straps expand a lot)

I've also carried one around at costume convetions, SF conventions, and doll meets sat on my lower arm (with it bent at the elbow and my thumb tucked in my belt or waistband)

Teddy

19. I dont haven't first doll yet but I have thought about how to go about doing things like this when the time comes. I already carry ITA bags at conventions. They're great! Not only can you customize it the way you want you can also kind of see in them to show off anything you want to out in that "window". Plus, they're roomy! So great for a doll and con swag! ^^ let us know how it goes!

20. I usually just carry them, but I prefer to keep it to MSD-sized if I'm gonna do that. I've heard there are people developing shoulder harnesses, too. Basically a little seat and strap so your doll can chill on your shoulder.