1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you choose your clothing?

Jun 7, 2020

1. What inspires your clothing choices? Is it simply item availability + a basic aesthetic, or do you ever go searching for very specific clothing items/commission them to be made?

And for those of you who sew your own clothes, how does this process work for you? Is it based off what fabric is easily available to you, or do you seek specific fabric out for one project? And when it comes to new dolls you don't have a solid feel for yet, do you usually get inspired by outfits you find for their aesthetic, or is it the other way around?

I, personally, make my own clothes and work mostly with thrifted fabrics! I take a lot of inspiration from Japanese Street Style and various fashion trends from the Victorian era & modern Lolita trends of a similar vibe. Most of what I make is inspired by things I find on Pinterest! Recently I've taken to putting together outfit+accessory moodboards, which helps me come up with general aesthetics I can then incorporate into my work even if the fabrics or cuts aren't exact.

2. It depends on the doll. I also go with their personality. I have one female character -and she loves small patterned shirts or cute florals. I look on Etsy or other doll stores and and my sister or Mom can also sew If something needs to be more specific.

3. I tend to choose clothing for my child by theme, so it seems that casual clothing is likely less than any others. Brand also a rule for me to check, I usually buy things from Volks and other famous artists, and sometimes something from new creators in case I meet them at Dolpa and the product matching with my chosen photo-shooting intention/theme.

4. I’ll just watching my doll for a long time, after we got some connection I’ll begin face up and also picking clothing at the same time.
      Also, can check Pinterest to see fantastic arts to get some ideas

5. I notice I tend to lean to clothing that matches the eye color when sewing and if I don't I end up changing eyes to match, lol.

6. I generally make a Pinterest board for my dolls, and attach images I associate with them that usually influence clothing choice, or I find specific items in human scale that I think would suit them, and either sew them myself or look for doll clothes in the same vein!! I find making Pinterest boards SUPER helpful for fleshing out a character and getting a solid, visual idea of aesthetic!

7. @ Milkteeth - A Pinterest board is a brilliant idea, with how much I use it I'm shocked I didn't think about it sooner! Finding things in human scale is always both inspiring and difficult imho - right now I'm puzzling out the logistics of sewing together some outfits based off the sportswear-inspired looks from NAMILIA's runway collection and honestly, 0/10 do not recommend. Runway clothes tend to be weird and overly complex even on big scale.

@ Jhiggi - I love making eyes so I've got some in about every color for my dolls, but the problem with one of my dolls is that their faceup and wig is very red-based so they've so far been limited to colors that match that, whoops! Eyes can really make accent colors pop, though, so it's always nice to have ones that match the look.

8. I got a doll based off a character I already had so I already had a basic sense of what I wanted her to wear. I did seek out a lolita dress for her though because my friend drew her in decora fashion before and I had to do that for her doll. :chibi It was so pretty.

9. I prefer casual clothes for my dolls, so I can easily buy most of what I want. Sometimes I do need a certain thing and then I search for the fabric to make it or commission it. All of my dolls have characters before being shelled, so I already have a good idea of what I want.

10. Unless it's period or character-specific, it's just a matter of tastes. If I like the look of it, it looks cute/smart/chic/elegant/glam/etc. Oftentimes, it is mostly casualwear. Or smart-casual.

But I've got a boy on order who is quite period-specific. The first one of my dolls to be. And it's ancient. 10-11th century Asia. That'll be interesting to make for him. Depending on his final character, it'll be fairly easy or it'll get a little complicated with the finer high garments. The girl I intend to put with him will be even more interesting, with all the intricacies. At the same time, there will be times where I'll put them in modern clothing for a contemporary AU.

11. It depends on the doll. Some of my dolls, they have feet that are very difficult to fit in shoes. So, I find some shoes that fit I like and make an outfit or a few around those shoes. Some dolls look bad in some colors, so that complicates things. With my man dolls, and YOSD, they are much more easy with shoes fitting. When I started the hobby, I had a much smaller budget, so I bought whatever casual sort of modern styles I could find that would fit. I have had a slow start learning to sew, but I've made a few garments and just try to get a fabric that matches other clothes I already have.

12. @ Ivorysand - That sounds like such an intense and exciting project, though! I adore period dress in dolls, especially older historical clothing like that. I'd love to see it when he's put together, that sounds super exciting! I'm lucky in that my only period-centric doll is specifically 1850's England based, and I have actual sewing books and intensive garment references at my disposal. Best of luck to you!

13. Sometimes anime inspire me to choose clothes for my doll :)

14. .

#14 Gintsumi, Jun 8, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    15. I usually look for clothing that would fit the dolls personality (and sometimes things I'd wear myself)

16. The major factor is definitely the doll's character and personal tastes! All of my doll's were pre-planned characters, so even if its hard to find the perfect outfits for them, knowing their style and what I DO want is at least easy!

17. Both. If something is right for my doll (and within what I'm willing to pay for it Vs. I could make it for less Vs would I get aroud n to making it) then I'll buy it. Since, however, I am fussy about details and many of my dolls wear Victorrian/Edwardian styles, and the details are often wrong/off in commercially made stuff, I sometimes commission things (partiularly for the boys who I don't have as much fun sewing for as the girls), but commissioning can be fraught with problems if don't explain/describe every little detail to the maker. I once provided three fabrics, for three suits, for three of my boys. I assumed I would receive one suit in each fabric. The maker assumed I wanted all three fabrics mixed together in each suit, so my three, very expensive, suits arrived looking like a nightmare of 1970's multicoloured retro awfulness, rather than the three Victorian boys suits I had been expecting.

Again, both. Part of the reason I have such a HUGE fabric stash is that I will frequently get inspired by a particular fabric and buy it on the off-chance I will get around to making whatever I envision when I find it... then don't get around to it for ages (if ever - more ideas than I will ever have time to create), also, sometimes I'll happen across a fabric tht is perfect scale (of pattern/weight/drape) for dolls clothing so will add that to my stash while I see it. But, other times, I will want to make a particular garment or style and will hunt (first in my stash and then in fabric outlets) to find the right fabric to make it from.

The other way around - I get to know the doll, get to know their style/colour preferences, aesthetic etc, then start amassing their wardrobe. At this point I usually have something that will fit them in the meantime, and I have plenty of other dolls of similar sizes that have wardrobes of clothes I can try on the new doll to see if I can track down details of their aesthetic/look/preferences.

Teddy

18. Thanks, I think I'm going to need it. There aren't many references to pull from, outside of K-dramas set in the Goryeo period.

But he's not scheduled to come in until mid-September, so I've got a few months to settle on his character [there's two I keep flipping between] and practice with my sewing machine a bit more. I'm only mildly proficient in trousers currently, but robes shouldn't be too difficult to switch to. He's about 50cm tall as well, so I don't know how that will fare with the overall ease of the project. I'm usually pretty good at thinking on my feet when it comes to crafts, so I should manage.

And, if all else fails, I'll commission the harder pieces! :lol:

19. I typically go by availability. In stock = immediate interest for me. It's simply bonus points if it's something I really like. My "aesthetic" ranges from dark and grunge to cute and pastel to simply casual. The only things I'm not interested in are like... Victorian themes. My dolls will wear whatever I put them in, except for like, 3, one being a strictly dark aesthetic and the others... well, one is Doll Chateau. Only certain things will fit their lanky bodies haha. And the other is a Napalm Dolls Hush. So not many clothes will easily fit her, either. So I can dress everyone else up in cutesy clothes, or dark, or even just casual. The joys of having dolls who don't stick to just one aesthetic!

So yeah, I mostly do in stock stuff. Sometimes I'll do out of stock for things that are simply never in stock, things I really like, but it will be one biiiig order to get it out of the way.

20. I like modern clothing for my dolls, in all sorts of different styles. I only have one doll that wears a very specific aesthetic, everyone else just constantly changes it up. I tend to buy clothes that I, myself, would want to wear if I had their bodies. lol. I like a lot of variety, because dressing up my dolls is one of my favorite aspects of the BJD hobby, so I’m constantly scouring Etsy for new clothes for my girls to wear.