1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you decide on which dolls to ultimately buy?

Jan 27, 2011

1. From the very very beginning I knew I was going to get a CP Delf EL. I didn't have a character for him, he was just a beautiful doll, but I absolutely KNEW he had to come home. Took Nine years, and within two days of him being home there was no doubt that it was the right choice.

I knew there would also be more than one, once I started. So I had a list. It wasn't very extensive, mostly Luts dolls, but I didn't know anything about the hobby, even though I had wanted one of them for so long. Now that I have Masato, my criteria has become more realistic and slightly less impulse driven....slightly.

1. Do I like the face sculpt? - I don't have 'things I like' and 'things I don't like' Specifically...eerie realism or stylized beauty is all fair game. As long as all the features together appeal to me I'm quite happy.

2. Do I like the body sculpt? - This is definitely the second thing I consider. I find I'm less inclined to order just a head from a company...

3. Who is this doll? - If a character pops into my head while I'm looking at a doll, and sits down and starts up a conversation with the other characters in my head, then chances are pretty good that doll will make it to the 'next round' as it were. Not a lot of dolls inspire characters for me.

4. Can I afford this? - Usually the answer is no. Still, i keep an eye on my money, waiting for "doll money" to become available. I won't order anything until i have the cash for it.

The whole 'list' usually takes me days and days if not weeks or longer to whittle through. I want to make sure that I really really want the things I'm buying.

2. I myself have to go in steps to decide what doll I really want to buy.
      A) Can I truly see myself owning this doll and being happy with it?
      B) Could this doll fit any of my characters?
      C) Is this character close to my heart?
      D) Will this character need a companion to fit in, and is that character close to my heart?
      Typically if any of these answers are no, then I discipline myself to just be content with looking. :) My DOD Wi was my first doll and as he never had a character, he never went through these criteria, but I quickly found that I still love him all the same!

3. I go "love at first sight" and I'd collect money to get that doll, because if I fall in love with something, I can't give up till I get it! :)
      (Now I do this to get one of those beauties :aheartbea)

4. when i bought my first doll, i just bought one i liked. now i just go off of my first and make sure that any new dolls fit with my current group. doing this i have narrowed down my wishlist to 4 dolls and i don't think i'll want any more after i get them.

5. Sure. If you like a Soom doll, then go for it. It's just not something that I, personally, am very likely to do, unless I have a character in mind for them.

6. I don't really go through steps, persay, but I always shop around. I have to make sure it is absolutely the one I want. I tend to try and not buy on impulse. One because I can't, and two because if I like it in a few months from then and haven't gotten over it then I'll probably always enjoy it. I sort of measure my 'obsession' level as well. If I find myself constantly thinking and checking the website of a certain doll, it also indicates to me that it may be the one. Usually I don't have more than one doll on my mind at a time, or at least there's one that's dominate over the others.

So in short, if it's always on my mind I know it's the one xD

7. My wish list has changed over time as my tastes have narrowed and defined themselves a bit. But my first four dolls were basically serendipity-I could afford them. I bonded quite nicely despite that. I also now have two character dolls and went to considerable effort to create them and they are very satisfying to me. My AE tiny was pure whim-he was on sale and I thought he was cute. He's actually more stylized than I usually go for, but I still love him. My DIM girl was a pity project and I love her as well. Nowadays, at least part of the equation for me as regards potential new dollies is how useful they will be to me in patterning clothes. If there's SQUEE!!!! and they are a good size for that, I'm much more likely to spring for them. This is the reasoning I'm using to save up for a couple of Iple dolls. It's also the axe I'm using to winnow down and prioritize my wish list.

Space will become an issue eventually, which has led me to become inspired to clean out and reorganize my home, so as to have more space for dolls!

8. I go through about the same list as the OP ^^

I habitually do that about every few weeks/months. When I find a doll I like I had it to my wishlist and after a while I go through it making sure they're all dolls I still really want ^^

Though sometimes, even when I was sure I wanted it, I find out when having it it will not work. But sometimes it is because I tried to go with the cheapest one instead of the one I was absolutely sure I was going to like XP

Must be why my next few dolls are expensive ones xD

9. I will list out all of the dolls which I want to buy and then consider which one I love best,the first glance is important.

to me,SOOM dolls are charming, XDDD

10. I spend more time worrying about whether or not to actually buy a doll than I do saving up for it or paying it off. :P Here's what usually goes through my mind when I see a doll mold I like.

- Does the mold fit a pre-existing character?
      ---If the answer is no, can I imagine a character developing around the sculpt?
      ------If the answer is no, it's just a pretty doll and I probably won't buy it. I'll enjoy looking at pictures of it.

- Do I like the face without makeup? I don't usually get default faceups, so if possible I like to see owner pics of the head without makeup.
      ---If the answer is no, then I'm just admiring good faceup work.

- Is it limited?
      ---If yes, will I be able to save up enough in time?
      ------If yes, order it!
      ------If no, add it to the wishlist/
      ---If not limited, it gets added to the wishlist.

As far as determining priority on my wishlist, obviously limited dolls get first preference since they won't be available forever and I prefer not to pay aftermarket prices. Then, it's mostly a matter of which characters are more essential to my collection. While it would be easier to save up for the IMPLdoll Dorisy that I want, the entire storyline of my doll world hinges around the Zaoll Luv I'm currently saving up for. So there's a lot that goes into deciding which dolls to order, at least for me. I don't put dolls on my wishlist that I don't intend to own someday. There are about 15 on there now, down from the 30 or so I used to have on my list. :P Some are no longer available and less likely to be obtained (like SOOM Shadow Onyx), but if I ever have the money I'll put up a WTB thread for them. :)

11. For me it's all about the eyes, if those are the right look for me then i'm in! but If the eyes are off even by a little bit it kills the doll for me. I have also learned to say I'll never get a ...... doll. When I fist got into this hobby I kept saying that I would never get a Luts doll even though EL was my dream boy since the day he came out as the Vampire elf years ago. it did take me several years and I still didn't get my vampire EL but I did get my EL and sadly that started me on the Luts bug, I now have EL, Dark Soo, Shiwoo, and for heads, I have a Moon, Yder, Lu-Wen, and hmmm I think that's it so far. I am love with the Luts dolls I actually want to get 2 more to make Cain and Abel from Trinity Blood, but for now I need to save up a lot for them.