1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

how do you fall in love with a doll

Jul 26, 2019

?
  1. the sculpt

134 vote(s)
    79.8%
  2. the clothes

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  3. the fullset

15 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. the faceup/blushing

18 vote(s)
    10.7%
    1. I chose fullset, though I've actually been hunting exclusively by sculpt. I can 'see' the features fine without a face-up, but I like to see what other people have done with it to gauge the potential.

However, thus far the only dolls I've seen that I felt a powerful urge to buy... which were not what I was looking for... is Ringdoll's Frankenstein (both versions), and they were shown in full sets. It was NOT what I was expecting to see in the BJD world, but I was (and still am) shocked and pleasantly surprised that such a thing even exists. It's brilliant. Hot steampunk bishie Frankenstein's monster? Sign me up! ;)

2. For me, the sculpt is very important, but seeing face ups can give me an idea of what I’m looking for and show the possibilities for the doll’s character. If I can see my character through these, then it will be something I keep an eye on. Body sculpts need to fit the age and physical activity of my character. If I find a head I like, but the company’s body seems off, I would go for a hybrid. I’m not too into buying full sets since there always tends to be elements I don’t like and they are very expensive. Articulation is important to me as well, since posing can really add life to a character. Clothing, wigs, and accessories don’t really matter since I would most likely buy them specifically for the doll’s character or make them myself.

3. For me it’s always the sculpt, and it doesn’t matter if I’m seeing it with or without a face-up. I do 95% of my own face-ups anyway. What I’m looking for is basic features and “presence”. I always come up with a character idea first, and then I go on the hunt. Sometimes this hunt can literally take years (the longest lasted a decade!) But when I see the right sculpt, I’m like “there you are!” It’s more like recognition than anything else...I’ll just suddenly recognize the character I already know so well, like a familiar old friend.:)

4. Fullset, because I don’t perceive dolls without makeup. I'm attracted to the finished image, it is also inspiring, even if after buying makeup, wig eyes and clothes will change.

5. For me it's half the sculpt and half the face-up. The body is definitely a secondary consideration and since I make my own doll clothes I could not possibly care less about fullsets.

6. It’s the face up and the sculpt honestly! I usually draw up the character i want and then when i browse for dolls the face sculpt + the faceup are an instant buy!(I’ll still buy the doll if the face up isn’t available tho if I’m desperate haha)

7. I chose "face-up/blushing", although I'd say it's a combo between that and sculpting. I don't do my own face-ups but I like picking out outfits and wigs and stuff by myself, so I really only care about how the sculpt and face-up looks, if I see a doll that's outfit doesn't match my aesthetic at all, it doesn't matter to me, because I rarely buy the outfit they're paired with in the photos.

8. For me it’s the sculpt. A face up example helps but I have to see it blank to know whether or not I really like the way it looks. I usually do my own face ups when I have time so I need to love the sculpt blank since it may stay that way for a long while.

9. Pouf depends.

I have a thousand characters in my head and it is difficult to square them, but the main thing for me is the physical. This character is muscular, childish, sweet, ruffian ...

I look at heads, faces ... especially with boys, MSD that look like adult "men" and not school children. and only two houses have really fallen in love with Iplehouse and Withdoll. But Volks is more neutral and it's pretty cool.

With the girls, well, if it's fine facial features, with skunks ... but I need makeup and a thousand examples to make up my mind.

And then there is the nightmare par excellence: The clothes. Where do I find what I'm looking for at a good price? It does not exist, then you cry and you make drawings so that when you learn to sew well then that you do, while ... to see more current examples.

But I think that what throws me the most are the maquis on the heads, the possibilities ...

10. For me, I like to see the face without the faceup, and then look up owner pictures, usually both here and on Instagram... when I see a doll in person the thing that really makes me fall head over heels is the hands!!! I like elegant hands with longer slender fingers instead of sort of child like chubby hands. More than anything else, the hands are the part I'll be looking at the most, because everything else can be hidden in clothing.

11. I fall in love with the sculpt. I pay no attention to clothes and face up, it's nice if they are fine, but all this doesn't matter if I like the head. Even the body can be changed so it's not really important.

12. I'm a sculpt person too! I do think seeing the doll in their fullset heavily influences my decision, but I've never purchased a fullset doll before.

13. For me, this question is as personal and different for everyone as 'how do you fall in love with someone?'.
      Personally, I usually search for pictures of the blank sculpt whenever I'm interested in one doll because I know face-ups and full-sets can be deceiving (as profile pictures in social networks xD). If the blank sculpt is equally appealing, then you could say I'm in love with it and I could consider buying it if it fits my family or a character. Sometimes another collector's character in a certain sculpt is what has started my love for that sculpt.

But, as someone who makes their own OCs for their dolls, I can't really say I'm in love with the doll until I have it home and I manage to see if they fit the character I had in my mind or if they want to be different or whatever. Only when the character reveals itself and I'm happy with it, then I can say I'm in love with my doll.

14. The scuplt, but the way I tell is waiting till several others have bought it and given them new face ups. I find non default face ups tend to show a sculpts features better.

15. The full doll, body, sculpt, and face-up, as I am not an artist that could pull a doll together.
      Therefore, the full package for me is what makes me fall in love, the clothes matters but not as much as what I mentioned above.
      If I love that and I cannot stop thinking about the doll after looking at it, I just have to have it :).

16. I am exactly the same as you . I fall in love with everything . Fullset , sculpt . I buy only fullset and not a nude head .

17. It depends. XD For my girls, it's a combinaison of the face sculpt and faceups. For the boys, it's mainly the sculpture.

18. The sculpt. It's the most important partfor me tofall in love woth a doll.

19. I guess I'm in the minority. I usually purchase the doll for the clothes only, yes sometimes get an ugly doll. When that happens I just turn the head around it pull the wig over their face.

20. I am not in the zone yet to try my own face-ups, so the default look is super important to me. However- if I like the default look a little TOO much then I have to go look at the blank face because I know pictures can be misleading. Doing that has saved me a lot of money but I still pine for a doll who front-facing is absolutely gorgeous, but the side-profile I despise.