1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

how do you fall in love with a doll

Jul 26, 2019

?
  1. the sculpt

134 vote(s)
    79.8%
  2. the clothes

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  3. the fullset

15 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. the faceup/blushing

18 vote(s)
    10.7%
    1. Definitely the sculpt. The facial features are everything to me. I don't let the clothing in their photos influence me, because I usually don't like full set clothing. It is usually either too elaborate and not my style. I have never bought a doll with full set.
      I really enjoy the challenge and pleasure of searching for the right clothing for my dolls, and completing them over time. It gives me great satisfaction when I finally get a doll completed the way I want. If I didn't want customizable dolls, I would not buy BJDs.

On the other hand, often the wig that is shown on a doll in company photos will influence me. But I try instead to imagine the doll in the style and color of wig I want for my character. For this reason I usually won't buy a doll until I've seen a photo of it without clothing or a wig.

#61 ParlourGoddess, Jul 3, 2022
      Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    2. For me it’s the faceup. But that’s because I can’t look at a blank head and see the potential. I literally can’t visualise so if it’s blank that’s all I can see. Same with eyes and a wig. It has to have those so I can see it properly. ( it’s really frustrating not being able to visualise).

3. For me it’s usually the sculpt. Also not being able to make a purchase right away due to a tight budget.. It does the trick. :lol: Makes me think if I really need and want a certain doll or not. Can take a couple of years, but when I do buy a doll at that point I am sure that I’m in love with it :hug: Have a long list of BJDs I want to buy though… :XD:

4. I don't really know how to answer the poll, because I fell in love with my crew in different ways, and all 4 choices contributed in different combos.

I mean, the doll's face is usually the first hook. The head, faceup, entire photo presentation has to catch my eye and make me pause and take a second look. It doesn't matter what hooked me in the first place: if I keep coming back to stare at the doll, that's already the first step towards falling in love.

But a pretty face isn't enough - it needs to give me a a character. The only common factor in my crew is all of them inspired characters in my imagination, and I couldn't imagine not having that character (and therefore doll) at home. How does that happen? It depends on the doll. I think it's a mixture of sculpt, faceup/presentation, and outfit that stir up a character in my imagination... sometimes in different combos.
      Eg. I currently have two dolls on preorder... One of them I fell in love with face and company faceup first, body promo photos second, and head sculpt third. For the other, I fell in love with the body sculpt first, and then found a head sculpt from the same creator that I liked -- all from nude promo photos. In fact, the head sculpt was a bit of an afterthought: it was the body I really loved and wanted.

But the common factor is the doll inspired a character, regardless of what caused it - that's how I fall in love with a doll and I want it to be "mine".

5. It's the sculpt primarily. Though at least one of my dolls was bought not only because of his facial features, but because the wig and eyes in the sales photos were the same color as the character I wanted him for!

6. Its mainly based on sculpt for me! I typically enjoy looking at owner photos the most and seeing a particularly cute owner photo can make me interested in a sculpt as opposed to company photos

7. I get pretty much every doll I have ever gotten due to some combination of head sculpt, body sculpt, and faceup. I don't fall in love with every doll I own, though I do love them all. The ones I fall in love with, they're special in some way. For some, I mean for it to be. I got my Iplehouse JID Tania because I wanted a BJD "daughter" doll. She and I clicked from the very beginning like I hoped we would. She calls me "Daddy" in my photostories and she's so gosh darn adorable :aheartbea An off-topic doll and I clicked some time after I got her. She also became one of my "daughter" dolls, though I didn't mean for it to happen at all. She was originally going to be a bit of a wild girl, but her personality changed after I got her. She had some kind of intangible quality that transformed the way I viewed her. Then there's my Iplehouse SID Eva who I got for practical purposes because I wanted my Dollmore Model Doll Leah Cox to have a girlfriend. I didn't get her to be particularly special to me at all. While she is Leah's girlfriend and the two of them are very happy together, she made me feel so happy when I'd see her. She would get so much attention from me. While she's not one of my "daughter" dolls, I fell for her hard. Sometimes I'll give her a hug just because :blush