1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel about outdoor photo shoot?

Aug 23, 2020

1. I love outdoor photo shoots or even indoors in restaurants or coffee shops. This is how we normally do doll meets so I have no problem taking them out, especially with others! I don’t often go out alone though. It can be a real hassle to try to wrangle dolls alone.

most strangers have been curious and polite. There have been a couple of rude people and unattended children, but I’ve definitely had more positive interactions than negative.

2. I take one of my dolls with me out for an outdoor shoot or to travel with me very often. I’d say I would take them with me almost every time I go to someplace interesting. I feel very comfortable bringing them with me. People would just look and smile. Some of them would compliment the dolls. It’s a beautiful hobby. I don’t think anyone would be mean enough to give us any silent judgement :)

3. I really should have taken my dolls with me during my last vacation in Europe. I was too overprotective of my dolls back then. I really regretted because I had been to many amazing places and I know those places were just excellent for photo shoot.

I was always afraid of my dolls getting yellowed for being under the sunlight. But lately I found out that dolls may actually be less fragile than I thought? I have seen people putting their dolls in water and so on, but the dolls seem to be absolutely fine as long as you clean them properly after the photo shoot. Maybe I will try that one day.:aeyepop:

4. They're really a lot less fragile than many people seem to think.

Mine have been all over the place and they only get shoved in my backpack with a soft cloth around their heads to protect the face-up. I don't bother with an actual doll carrier unless I[m taking more dolls than will fit in my backpack with the rest of the stuff I carry around each day. Obviously there are more-delicate parts that need a bit more care (long elf ears particularly slender fingers etc.) but on the whole they're not that delicate.

Teddy

5. I love outdoor shoots but I am too shy to take my dolls and take photos ourside by myself so I usually call my friends and ask them to come with me and they also help me to take photos, excellent pictures come out when I am outside tho. Like great landscapes and the sea etc >~<

6. Wow that's a lot of replies! Thanks for sharing guys! Sorry if I missed responding your comment, but I will drop a heart for you :D

@CutieKitty
      I once had a little girl passing behind me while I was taking pictures of my dolls, and she just calmly told her mom: "That's just bizarre."
      Me in my heart: "That's right RUN AWAY KID" LOL

@Gathephaar
      That's the attitude! :lol::lol:

@Enzyme
      I know a lot of doll owners treat their dolls like absolute precious, they will have them placed carefully in carrying bag, when handling them they will wear gloves and all. And they simply set them in display cases and never let them out! We all have different ways to interact with our dolls, it's nice to just have them standing around and not carrying them around too! :thumbup

@AmariGem
      I feel like in a convention people just accept you as who you are lol I was carrying my doll around the conventions too, and people didn't even blink their eyes lol It would be cool if you are cosplaying while holding your doll though! I've never cosplay before, but it would be nice to cosplay a character that carries dolls around.

@TulliaTacita
      HK is a nice place! I feel like in HK BJD is somewhat better known compared to a lot of other places, so maybe people won't be as startle? XD

@Sianserais
      I'm kind of tempted to get into the photoshoot hobby, so when I take out a professional camera and start taking pictures of my dolls people can be in awe XD (Like, that's right, professional's here XD)

@Teddy
      That's lovely! I think traveling with dolls in some ways make the trip even more interesting. I'm usually a solo-traveler, so traveling with the dolls gives it a new type of feeling, like I'm alone but not really alone?
      And yep, some people just can't stand things they don't understand! But it's their own misery, what can we do :lol:

@Lillyevergold
      You are like at the HQ of BJD! I never experienced the train madness in Tokyo, but heard enough stories about it to know it probably won't be a good idea to get the dolls squeez in there lol
      But yes, Tokyo must have lots of great places for picture, and since it's a big city I'm sure people's seen it all lol A simple BJD won't do them much trouble lol

@ivorysand
      I feel you on the weather part, in CA it's almost always over-exposed to light, so all the pictures just turned out super super bright and the color's all off lol
      I can imagine how London's going to produce some good pictures though, it's just slightly crowded, but I'm pretty sure there are nice places for you to take pictures of your dolls! Most of the folks I met in London were indeed pretty nice, they would probably be curious and ask questions, but they probably also have seen too much to be freaked out lol
      Just as @Teddy said, people probably won't take BJD away since there's not going to be a profitable market for it. My phone got stolen in London during my stay, but that was me being careless and stupid, and that was a brand new phone lol

@jenlovesdolls
      I think it takes a lot to learn how to take more interesting pictures! At first my pictures of my dolls were all very "boring" as well (as they just kind of look like... they are being a doll and nothing else.) But in different BJD groups I observed how other people take pictures of their dolls, and research different techniques, it actually makes a difference in photoshooting (though I'm still not very good at it lol)

7. Agreed! Some people are afraid they might fall, break something, etc, but they are actually pretty hardy lol My dolls have been with me all over the places too, and they managed, even they fell a few times lol

8. I think yellowing happens anyway with time, I have taken my dolls very few times outside and always avoiding to expose them to direct sunlight and they're slightly yellow after 13 years, despite being kept in their boxes most of the time. My only problem with taking them outside was with other people wanting to touch them, or touching them without even asking :frownyblush:

9. @Ariadhne
      Yeah no matter what they will turn yellow, mine are outside and almost never in the box, and they are pretty yellow but doesn't really bother me much lol
      It'd be so annoy if people just reach over and touch them without asking! Like you wouldn't reach over and touch another person's belonging... why touch the doll :huh?:

10. Yes. But it's safer for my dolls to have an assistant. More professional camera keeps people at a respectful distance. Mostly...
      I don't like it when strangers look under my hands.

11. I have taken dolls on trips to far places and people look, but neither I or my doll have ever been distubed. I once had a lady ask me if she could take a picture of them also, and once was asked by some lovely ladies if I was doing a ceremony with them.
      When with a tour group, the other folk often get to the point of offering to help with holding or posing.

12. I love to take my dolls out for outdoor photoshoots and used to do so quite often but as I've become busier with work and other things this has become much less frequent. I like taking them to fun outdoor locations like some sightseeing spots as well as to take seasonal pictures around town to or places that I frequent without them like cafes. If I'm taking 2 or more then I use my VOLKS carrying case but if I'm only taking one then it's less hassle to just carry them in my arms.
      I very rarely get stares (be it in regard to the dolls or not) so on the odd occasion that it does happen I tend to ignore them and they've always gone away without issue.