1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you know if a doll loves you?

May 27, 2017

1. I have one doll who absolutely adores me; one who grudgingly acknowledges my existence because, without me, he wouldn't exist or have such a quiet life; and one who acknowledges me as a nice, important person she doesn't know very well. :XD:

2. Most of my dolls would probably tolerate me as the person who provides them with friends, clothes and a place to live. I don't know if any of them would love me, but a few of the younger ones might feel affection toward me or like me. Surprisingly, I think my most ill-mannered, bad-tempered doll would like me more than the others might. I think we would understand each other. ;)

Linda S.
      galatia9

3. I accidentally pinch their dicks while I'm adjusting their ill-fitting pants way too often for them to have any positive feelings about me, even if they weren't plastic.

4. Simple. I know my dolls don't love me because dolls are inanimate objects without consciousness, feelings, or emotions.

5. I am loving each and evrey response - it really is a fascinating subject and hearing all the different views is very interesting

6. This.

I know it's popular to pretend that there's more to our little jointed minions than just resin and elastic, and there's nothing wrong with that if it's the way you like to Do-The-Doll-Thing... But don't get so far into it that you start to lose sight of reality. We can love them, but to be loved in return? They'd need to be living things for that, and no matter how fond we are of them... they just aren't.

7. This is the best reply so far. Thanks for the laugh! Anyways, it's impossible for inanimate things to love us, no matter how you see them. I know my future dolls don't love me, and I'm fine with that.

8. There's no possible way my dolls love me. In fact, they probably despise me. Haha, joke's on them, they're stuck here!

9. I just laughed out loud at work.

10. Real life responsibility burn out survivor here, so I'm thankful my dolls aren't alive! I can do whatever I want with them and they don't have any expectations. I stress out enough just with what I want for them. The thought if they were alive, just :aeyepop:.

11. Well , none of them have actually run away from home yet . But maybe that's because they
      can't reach the door handle :mwahaha

12. I shower my dolls with so much money, scandals and effort - how could they not love me in return?.. XD I am actually quite sure they do reciprocate, I can tell that because they always pose so well for me like, seriously, - they definitely do their model job much better than me my photographer's!
      P.s. And they definitely enjoy being taken apart most of all... Huh.

#32 noirobscur, Jun 2, 2017
      Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    13. Dolls don't have feelings, and while I am very fond of my dolls I don't feel the need to be loved in return by them. I do enjoy holding my dolls & all but if I want to feel loved in return I'll hold my cat :kitty2

14. This is an interesting thread, I decide to bump it up. I adopt all my dolls because I love them, they are not easy to get, all of them limited edition dolls, so I went through a lot of trouble to acquire each of them. When I do manage to adopt them and they come home, I know they love me. All except the FCS F38 Christian.....

Back in 2008, the F38 was a Sato only FCS meaning that he has to be commissioned through an agent in Japan. The paper work was daunting. The doll himself made an agreement with me regarding how he is to ultimately leave my home for his next home, he wanted me to donate all his sale proceeds to charity when it comes time for him to leave. When I agreed to his demands, he finally came home from Kyoto. When he first arrived, I did not bond with him, I felt that he belonged to someone else, he did not like me. His demands of how he wants to go to his next home made me feel that I am only playing host to him, he is only a guest. When I photographed him, his photos turned out weird and some looked ugly. I tried very hard. I got frustrated. One day, my mom laughed and said that the doll is making it hard for me, he wants me to try extra hard to photograph him, he wants attention, he is just teasing me. He wants me to spend more time with him. Something deep down inside of me told me that my mom is right. Christian is a beautiful doll, he is mine and he wants to be loved. He dislikes playing second fiddle to Isao, my favorite doll. From then on, Christian's photos came out beautiful - beautiful. I have full confidence with him. He accompanied me on several conventions and comic cons. Everywhere he went, he received "wows! Wohs! OMG!" He faced the cameras very well. I guess he loved me all along, I felt uneasy because before he came home, he made plans to go to his next home. I've had him for years now, he has become my favorite doll supplanting Isao. My F38 Christian is sometimes known as Himura Kenshin, he is a special doll, he's alive. I understand him and he understands me.

#34 stargazer_i, Nov 21, 2017
      Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    15. I know a doll loves me when it can stand still like I posed it without folding or faceplanting for as long as it takes me to take all the necessary photos.

16. Reading this, I'm reminded of the Volks proprietor, and what he said about his charity dolls. He hoped they would become gods of happiness to the sick children who received them. This falls into line with Japanese beliefs about inanimate objects having souls, especially if they're old enough.

It's a huge contrast with Western collectors I've encountered who look down on such ideas. Here we have complicated ideas regarding the essence of non-living things that I haven't studied in depth. What a collector feels doesn't bother me as much as those who are jerks about it.

17. I had totally forgotten about this. Glad to be of service :XD:

Dolls are a great comfort, and no disrespect to people who have more complex spiritual or paranormal beliefs about them than I do, of course. I sculpt and build OOAK dolls and for me the act of creating them from the ground up has dispelled a bit of the mystique.

18. They don't love you of course because they're not alive, but when you give anything love, love is reflected back at you. For example plants are alive, but don't have awareness, but when you love them they thrive. Dolls are not alive, but you give them life when you take care of them, admire them, maybe create characters for them, and display happiness. So - love them first, and that's how you'll know.

19. I know that they don't love me bc whenever I try to pose them, I'll accidently hurt myself...or it's just me being clumsy xD

20. When I encounter with similar questions I start to fantasize )). And all my thoughts boil down to the fact that:
      If your doll is not nasty, things are on their places. You don`t wake up because you heard any strange noise. After all your doll doesn`t try to kill you. *I watched huge number horror films, I know!*
      ...in general, if you have not these problems — you are happy man and your doll loves you. :)