1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you know if a doll loves you?

May 27, 2017

1. If my dolls were in any way alive and able to think and feel, they definitely wouldn't be too fond of the person who drills, carves, sands, and leaves them in pieces for months on end.

2. Notably, Dolls are objects. However, Doll owners pour a lot of themselves into their dolls, thus filling their vessels with energy. Energy that they reflect or make their own. Oft, a used doll resold will contain traces of the previous owner or the energy they encapsulated in the time of that owner. Dolls have souls. Created after years of life for them. Some are muted. Others not so much. I am of the belief you treat them well, they'll treat you well.

3. I don't think he loves me too much now.... His head is on my painting tray for more than a month now and I just lost his eyes....:pout:

4. That might just put a damper on his affections for sure! :) Thank you for the laugh.

5. In my mind, my dolls live and have their unique personalities. Reality is not important in daydreaming.
      I think Rei loves me every time she gets a new purse. :)

6. As far as i can tell, my dolls do not have the capability to love, as they are not sentient. But i gotta admit.. sometimes i treat them way too much like theyre my children:frownyblush: Maybe they dont love me, but thats ok, because i love to care for them!

7. I guess for me, I would relate this to the common expression of "bonding" or "not bonding" with your dolls. I've bought many dolls that lasted a very short time with me because we just... "didn't bond"! Even if it's a doll I really wanted, one I think is pretty, etc, sometimes I just inexplicably don't feel attached. I guess you could say that's more of me not loving the doll, but I feel like (if we take the idea of doll love seriously for the moment, haha) it goes both ways. Like maybe if I don't feel bonded to a doll it's also because that doll isn't meant to stay with me... idk. I know they are inanimate objects, but since we attach sentimental value to them and invest our own time and effort and emotion in them, I do think we can feel some kind of "love" from them. Man, idk if this whole thing made any sense :XD: but I like this question, I think it's really interesting to think about.

8. I'm in the "they're inanimate objects" gang. I'll have moments where I'll see an inanimate object in a less than great state (or even just a stuffed animal left alone/fell off the bed) and be upset for it, but the dolls get that less? I dunno. I give 'em their own little world where they're doing their thing, even in their story world they don't have to worry about my existence or affections, or vice versa. Though I'm sure if they were living they'd be happy when they're all intact, with their faces and wigs and some clothes to boot!

9. I don't spoil them enough for them to love me. XD

More seriously, I am also among the "non-sentient objects crowd". I also would not use the term "bonding" as it's completely one-sided. I either like a BJD or not, like I would a book or an article of clothing. Neither the BJD, book or article of clothing can feel either love or hate towards me, so...it's not a bond. (Though feel free to disagree, that's just my opinion and how I treat my crew).

I do often jokingly say to myself, "oh, X would love these shoes" or stuff like that, but I am aware that it is me wanting to buy stuff for the dolls. I don't expect them to mind even if they are naked. XD

#49 lyaam12, Jun 21, 2021
      Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    10. I think, for me, my dolls live in a state of half physical (doll) form and half my imagination. I’ve put so much thought and care into each individual character that I’m very bonded with every one of them. If, in my creative and happy imagination, they love me and are happy here then I’m totally good with that.:) I gauge it by the level of contentment I feel walking through my home and visually engaging with them…do they seem content? or happy? or, heaven forbid, disgruntled? (then it’s probably time for an outfit change or to move them to a different display.);)

#50 PoeticSoul, Jun 21, 2021
      Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    11. This is such an interesting thread to read! I guess I am in the 'personification' camp, but I tend to project on lots of different objects not just dolls.

I'm slowly getting back into the hobby after packing my dolls away for several years. Before leaving the hobby, I had several dolls that I bought second hand that seemed... Negative? I tried to dote on them and spend time with them but it felt wary and in some cases I would get straight up creeped out. I also had a few instances of this happening when I bought a doll new but left it in it's box or ignored it for a long time. These dolls give me a quick "time to go" feeling, but the ones I've rehomed have never caused a follow up message from their new owners so I assume they behave at their new places.

Otherwise, the remaining dolls in my collection give me happy vibes. Even if I'm not 100% on board with a doll for a look or character, if I feel it is "positive" I tend to keep it (this is different than feeling like a doll is angry or annoyed, more like feeling if the doll is a good person? That sounds so weird!). I guess in my superstitious mind if there is an energy to the object that is positive, then nothing "negative" can take over.

My views did change a bit after reading Marie Kondos book on tidying a few years ago. She personifies everything, and even if I don't totally agree that my clothes feel happier hanging in an airy closet, I do apply some concepts to dolls. For example, I'm thinning my collection (it is overwhelming right now) and the idea of thanking the object for being with me and sending it along to be loved by someone else is comforting. I also like her view that objects want to be useful, and if they aren't useful to you it's better they move on where they can be.

12. Oh I khow when doll loves you and when doesn't)
      I often see the diffirenses of facial expression of doll. When doll doesn't like you, your face is... cold and unfriendly. You take this doll, and it's heavy and clumsy, and when you try to put this doll in pose, it don't want to stay in this pose and fall. Also It can "bite" you by joints.
      So, when doll loves you, it is the opposite situation