1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you protect your Dolls from pets?

Jan 9, 2015

1. My roommate has a cat that she insisted on bringing with her when she moved in, but has since started to neglect said cat.
      The cat decides she wants to bother me all night and tear up my room trying to wake me up for attention. I woke up this morning to find her cat CHEWING ON MY DOLLS!:...(

My dolls aren't too expensive I suppose, (Angel Fantasy Alice and AoD Lan and a cheap Ai Doll) But I'm really not wanting to replace any parts damaged by an attention seeking cat.

They're currently sitting on my dresser posed next to each other while I finish their outfits, and I don't have anywhere else to put them except into my dresser drawer. Keep in mind my dresser is high already and she struggled to get up there. I know someone else must have a pet that likes to gnaw on their dolls, so I'm asking..
      How do you protect your BJDs from pets looking for a snack at night? Glass cases, pet barrier sprays, any ideas?

2. Oooh I am so sorry for you and your dolls! Hopefully they did not get damaged too badly >~<

I do not yet have experience with pets + dolls, mostly because I was on hiatus for a while. However, I adopted a bunny last year and she, like all bunnies, loves to nibble on things. Although she hasn't been near my dolls, she has gnawed on a few of my things and I have since learned to keep all valuables away from her if I am not with her to supervise. As for my dolls, I usually put them away in my closet when I am not with them to keep them out of sunlight.

I would probably suggest storing your dolls if you aren't going to be with them, or having them in your immediate line of sight while the cat is about.

Good luck!

3. For starters, resin is toxic if ingested. If this cat is actually chewing/swallowing resin, that's a big problem for the cat and you need to keep the dolls away from it for the cat's sake.

I currently keep my dolls in an enclosed, built-in shelving unit. Before that, I kept them in an old computer armoire with doors on it that I bought on craig's list for $30.

Seriously, though, if there is any chance of an animal chewing on your dolls, put your dolls away when you're not actively playing with them. Put them in their boxes or in a drawer or in a case. Because no matter how much you love looking at your dolls, it makes no sense to leave something valuable and toxic out if there is any chance that an animal could chew on it and ruin it or, more importantly, get sick from it.

In the mean time, you could always keep your door closed until you find a solution..?

4. I have two cats and I'm somewhat worried that one of them will decide to play with my dolls. So I'm looking at buying a glass cabinet to keep them in but I haven't had much luck finding one that matches with my living room decor. Which is really annoying, but I'll have to get something soon whether it matches or not to make sure they don't check up anything.

5. You can look on Craigslist or eBay for a wall curio cabinet with glass fronted doors, and you can place that on top of your dresser. This will allow you to display your dolls/keep them accessible, and also protect them from the cat. I picked one up for about $30-$50, and it holds 3-5 60cm dolls fairly easily (depending on how they're posed). Just make sure it's the kind with one large compartment that has horizontal shelves that can be removed, and check the overall dimensions to make sure your dolls will fit.

6. I don't think she's chewing on them to eat them, more of like "I see these things are things you like, therefore I will knock them over and chew them/the wigs/the clothes until you notice me!"
      I try to keep my door cracked at night because we have two rescued kittens that get scared quiet frequently and like to sleep with me when they're afraid. (though her cat has taken to attacking them as well and become horendously territorial over my room of all places...) and if I do end up closing it, her cat will attack my door all night until I open it anyway haha.

I was looking into a cabinet, like one of those big ones for a TV/entertainment center that has doors to close that hide the TV part, but I might be moving out soon to another country and taking a big cabinet with me seems like a terrible option,
      But the little cabinet thing on top of the dresser might not be so bad of an idea, I could always resell it later on right?

I'm just worried she's going to shred their wigs/snap off fingers because she's doing it for attention. I've tried to talk to my roommate about keeping her from waking me up at night but she said "well she does it to me too, so..." so that's not gonna work haha.

7. I don't have a problem with pet control at home with my own dog. My dolls are all over my house, but my dog doesn't bother with them. She used to be afraid of them, but now she just seems indifferent and mostly avoids them. Actually, she's really good about not destroying my things, including plush animals on my bed, and shoes left on the floor. She knows which toys are hers and which are mine. :XD: She did get hold of a cheap fur wig once. It fell off the shelf and she took it, probably because it looked similar to a small furry toy she had. I let her keep it because it was a horrible wig anyway and none of my dolls were wearing it anyway (which was why it was on the shelf in the first place).

Now, my parents' dog on the other hand... When they come for a visit, I literally have to pack up all the dolls into boxes or put them up onto the highest shelf because this dog destroys everything just for the hell of it. I even have to put away some of Grace's (my dog) favourite toys because my parents' dog will just systematically demolish them without even playing with them first. If Grace wrecks her toys, it's pretty much just because she's played roughly with it for too long. :XD:

As for the question about the resin-chewing cat, I'd definitely put the dolls in a cabinet for the protection of the cat as well as for the protection of the dolls. It is possible to train a cat not to go near certain objects or places, but cat-training takes a lot of persistence, so it's probably just easier to keep the dolls away from the cat than to keep the cat away from the dolls.

8. I talked to my roommate and she doesn't seem to care at all that her cat is demolishing my sleeping at night or destroying my property, (It can't be helped/that's how she is/there's nothing more to do blah blah) so I told her to keep the cat in her room at night, but that leaves the issue of daytime protection when I'm at work.
      Looks like a cabinet it is, anybody have any favorites beside the curio cabinet? (Thank you, Kiyakotari for the idea! <3 )

Edit: The reason I don't close my door in the daytime is because the vent to my room is disconnected, so I get no heat and I mostly rely on residual heat to come into my room/heat of the sun from the loft.

9. My two cats are super trained if I tell them to leave something alone they do. My boy cat as spoiled as well. He will from time to time stand on his hind paws to reach the table my dolls are on to have a sniff he'll never touch them. I usually chase him down and he runs off to the next interesting thing. My cats beg for my attention but never damage anything. That sounds like a poorly trained cat with a bad owner. No offense to your roomie but that's how I see it.

10. There are scents that cats really dislike so maybe there's a product you can find that you can pop into little pot-pori (i can't spell it) bags that might keep the cat away? (and so it doesn't get on the dolls too.)

11. she's super poorly trained. Her owner will never punish her for doing bad things, will just kinda go "Kitty, no, don't do that..." and then ignores her. Forgets to feed/water her constantly and is never home, I feel bad for her honestly. Our other cats aren't this bad, they're just like yours, actually! I've never had a problem with my other cats or our dogs doing anything to my dolls, just this damned cat of hers >:/

I didn't think of that, and it's so simple too. We have some in our home somewhere, maybe I'll try that. I know cats hate mint and stuff, so maybe I'll pop some air fresheners around her and it'll work.

12. I'm sorry you're having problems with your roommate's cat. D: We only own a dog and a rabbit (who lives in his cage indoors, coming out to play with supervision) and my dog doesn't usually go upstairs without one of us going with her, so I haven't had any problems. She's also not one to tear things up or chew on things that aren't hers, so I don't worry. Plus my doll's kept in his box in my room for extra security. I'll probably move him to my closet once I clear a space for him, so no one without thumbs can get to him. xD

I second the advice of the scents cats really dislike. If you're worried about space or things that would be a hassle if you move, I recommend any sort of plastic storage bin with a lid you can store your dolls and their things in while you're away. The clamped-on lid should prevent any curious kitties from disturbing your dolls. They sell some pretty nice ones at stores like Wal-Mart and Target. :3

13. I keep my dolls away from my cats, but I don't have them behind glass or anything. They are up high in a well known Ikea storage unit :)
      And I have to say, I don't really have a problem combining the two. They leave my dolls alone and no damage has been done to them so far.
      I guess you can say I only keep them out of harms way, because my youngest cat can be a real klutz.
      I did catch him redhanded one day when he jumped into the cabinet. Chased him out of there like there was no tomorrow and he hasn't done it since. I'm actually surprised that it worked since he's really headstrong when it comes to things like that.
      As for using scents that do not appeal to cats, I don't know. I have special "keep off" spray and it works...but only until the scent fades :XD:
      You can always try to make some sort of barrier with double sided tape, cats hate sticky stuff to their paws.

14. To add to this cats hate citrus they will avoid it and egg shells. I usually let my cats sniff things and what they dont like they usually pull away from. Citrus is easy to come by for this purpose.

15. I honestly don't have any issues at all with my cat and my dolls. He was actually scared of the first one he encountered (my former roommate received her first one before I received mine), but now is largely indifferent, and has napped in the laps of ones left on the couch while I work on clothes for them. So mine are currently on open shelving, some of them down close to the floor, with no worries, but again, my cat's better behaved and better trained than it sounds like the cat in question is, so I've never had to worry too much about how to protect things from him.

16. Well, first of all I'd tell my roommate that the dolls are expensive and that you'll hold her responsible for every damage her cat does to them. Even a "cheap" BJD is still expensive enough to make people go "Whoa!" and handle it with more care. You never know, it might make your roommate pay better attention to her cat. (I mean - it's HER cat, it shouldn't be YOUR problem to keep it away from your things.)

Additionally - what everyone else said. Either use scents that cats don't like or - which I'd consider safer - try to find somewhere to put them where the cat can't get at them when you're not around and can stop it from attacking your dolls and their stuff.

17. My kitties actually don't give my doll's much trouble. I mean, when I used to have my Chi laying down in his box, my cat used to jump up and take off his wig to play with it. Aside from that, the only big thing she's done is almost accidentally knock them over when she's trying to get closer to my hamster's cage. I should probably get a special shelf for them one of these days.

18. Maybe place a cat repellent scardey cat plant or citrus mentioned above near your dolls. It would be a safe way to keep the cat from using your dolls as a scratching post.

19. I'm sorry your roommates cat is bothering you..

My cats are really spoiled and behave the same way your roommates cat does when not receiving enough attention in their opinion. However I have a few tricks to prevent it, like cat toys, scratchpoles and biting toys. It helps preventing your possessions from being destroyed.

Plus you need to speak about it with your roommate, tell her what you think. Warn her about her cat biting in toxic things like resin. Plus you should ask money for everything her cat destroys. It is her responsibility, if she doesn't care for her pets you should make it clear her cat is better off without her as her owner...

I can't handle people who don't take responsibility/care of their pets...

20. I think her way of fixing it, is locking the cat in her room all day while she's home/sleeping/at work. Which is 100% unfair for her cat, tbh.
      I'm gonna go to the store tomorrow if it doesn't ice over tonight and grab some citrus and mint things and put them around my dresser so she'll stop whenever she's let out of my roommate's room.
      I hope she won't keep tearing up my things.

And funnily enough my roommate knows how expensive they are, and she was with me when I purchased my Angel Fantasy at Dollakon. She herself has no dolls though, since they were so expensive, so she at least can recognize that "Hey your cat chewed on my dolls" was a horrible thing. But I guess not enough of a horrible thing to make her realize her cat was being a nuisance.