1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you store your BJD, clothes, and accessories?

Feb 5, 2015

1. So I'm getting back into the BJD community and I was just curious how you guys store your doll and all the odds and ends that come with them? I have pets and I have some plastic desk organizers with sizable flat drawers right now from the last time I had BJDs but I was curious. What methods do you guys use? Any prefered types of storage or suggestions on how to store and with what? I'm a bit concerned the shoes I've bought won't fit into my current set up. I'm usually pretty picky about my space and I don't like too much clutter so I think it'd be interesting to see how you guys store and organize your bjd items when not in use and to protect against animals and such.

2. I have several "snapware" type containers; a larger one for the MSD clothes, since they have the most clothing of any of my sizes, and two additional ones for the YOs and SDs. I can organize type of clothing by layer that way (and the big MSD one came with a few dividers, letting me split things up even a bit more), easily get to clothes and put them away, and store them in a way that keeps them clean.

Accessories don't really have a storage situation worked out yet, but likely I'll add a couple more trays to the SD stack, and put them largely in the bottom of that. At current, they're in a couple of plastic tubs, but said tubs have things that properly belong in them and will eventually need to go back to them.

3. I have an extra bedroom that has become the doll room. It stays shut and has curtains so dolls are safe. They stay displayed in their "rooms" on shelves. The extra stuff is in the closet. If they have their own bedroom (all of them don't), all of their clothes, props, accessories, etc are in their room in a dresser or displayed. The ones who don't have rooms hang out in a friend or family member's room or community couch. They have a shoebox sized plastic tub in the closet with their name on it that their things go in. Each doll gets their own tub, but I have larger tubs for extra bedding, and a small set of drawers for things like extra wigs, paperwork, and extra parts. Extra furniture and large props are on the closet shelving.

4. My dolls are all stored in a bookshelf and on my headboard and there stuff is stored in the living room in a giant like chest thing with drawers and stuff. I keep all my clothes organized in little baggies. My wigs have their own box.

5. I bought some fancy chipboard storage boxes on sale at a craft store for my doll clothes. They're pretty enough to stack on a bookcase or by my closet. One of my OT dolls has a bookcase apartment in my bedroom that she currently shares with my tinies. My one MSD more or less lives on my bed with two of my cloth dolls. I do have to cover the bookcase shelf with a towel this time of year, though, because the sun does hit it for about half an hour in the morning. However, once it gets to be about mid-spring, it's one of the darkest rooms in the house.

6. @vicemage
      I might have to try something similar to that! Still trying to work out how I want to organize for all the items I'm getting. ;u;

@CloakedSchemer
      We have a spare bedroom in our house so I was actually considering turning it into a doll and craft room. I might also try your organization of separating each dolls items to their own space! I wish I could have them hang out just anywhere but I'm not 100% sure how my kitties will take my dolls. I know he already wants to play with an old wig of mine with a bunch of braids since the braids are akin to strings for him so having my dolls out unsupervised might be a bad idea ;A;

@KizunaYui
      I'd love to be able to display my dolls on a bookshelf or something but I'm worried about my kitties if I did that. Baggies sound like a little extra added protection for doll things so I might give that a try along with a few other things that I want to try out. :3

@LadyMadrigal
      Oh chipboard storage boxes sounds like a nice and beautiful way to store things. Right now the plastic storage containers are rather ugly and I'd rather keep them out of sight but, knowing me, I'll want my doll things to be located near by. I might try to modify a bookcase type apartment for my dolls or, eventually, see if I can get a shelf with a glass closure so my kitties can't get to them. It certainly sounds like your dolls have a nice set up ;3;

7. I have a pair of relatively small, three-drawer chests of drawers that I got at World Market for all the shoes and most of their clothes. (The exceptions are my DollHeart Fers, which have stayed in their original boxes in the closet. They're too "poofy" to really fit well in the drawers. o_0) My spare wigs are kept in a storage chest that doubles as a side-table, and the eyes are in a glass-topped, divided storage box originally intended to hold beads.

The dolls themselves have a set of matching display cabinets with glass doors. That way they're away from light and dust, but I can still see them. ^_^

8. This is just the kind of thread I was looking for earlier. Organization can be so troublesome and it's helpful to see other how other people do it. Right now, I just have all my dolls sitting on my dresser with some of their furniture and props, then I have a hatbox filled with their clothes and accessories. But I know the setup isn't gonna work for long when get more dolls and things for them.

9. Absolutely! I figured it would be good to see how others are doing even though I have a plan to try out a few things. People can be so creative and being young without much knowledge of what might be out there...I figured I might be able to learn from the creativeness of others and take inspiration from their storage methods. I love the thought of being organized and neat while still making everything look lovely but, by nature, I'm a "grab a box or drawer and shove stuff in it" kind of person most times xD. Since my dolls and their items are so costly and I'd like to have easy access to them, I'm really trying to avoid that default mental setting I have xDDDD.

I also think it'd be pretty awesome if people had pictures to share of their set up/storage space if they have stuff on display.

10. OOO! I might have to get a thing like that for my eyes, and I definitely want to get some display cabinets eventually to fit 4 60cm dolls that way light and dust isn't a problem (or my kitties) but I can still see them pretty well. I just have to find a place to get them that fits in my budget ;;

11. I have... A single shoe box. :sweat I really don't have many clothes/accessories for my poor dolls (and not from lack of wanting, I promise you). Also got my extra eyes and wigs in there.

12. Currently, my dolls are an old-style magazine rack from the fifties, the kind with a large storage space in the bottom for extra copies of the magazines and shelves that adjust on a wheel. The dolls sit on the shelves, but the shelves unfortunately tilt backwords slightly, which does some damage to wigs and looks uncomfortable. Clothes are kept in storage containers in the bottom space (mostly Yu-Gi-Oh! card tins, ha ha) and in cute mini-crates on the shelves. When I re-do the space, I'm moving the dolls to a large bookshelf with furniture on the shelves, and I haven't decided how I'm going to store the clothes. I'm leaning toward cuter plastic bins on the bottom shelf of the bookcase, so I'm looking for better solutions.

13. Hope it's okay to include a link but I have two of these in my storage closet which I use for clothes, wigs, eyes and other tools like s-hooks, and face-up material. They're really handy and not so pricey. I have them in black but I'm sure they come in other colors too. I'm not a big fan of the plastic look though.

14. Mine came from Ikea... I have these big ones and these narrow ones. They're pretty solid cabinets for the price.

All but the center shelf is adjustable, so you can make each shelf as tall or short as you need. Everything but my EIDs and tall, gangly DC guy fit in there.

15. I have one of the bigger snap ware containers for my yo-sd, msd, and sd boy clothes (one size per layer). I have a few of the smaller ones with the dividers for accessories, shoes, spare parts, and other small odds & ends. And then I have bigger containers for my sd13 girl clothes (they have the most stuff), and my wigs (about 3 bigger boxes of wigs). I use the small arts & crafts divider containers for my eyes, and my model doll girl shoes ended up in the shoebox size plastic bins (she has the most shoes).

All of these bins are stored on the top shelf of the closet in our spare room.

I'm not über thrilled with the solution, but it works for now. Hopefully I can get things a bit nicer in the future. :)

16. All the dolls (BJD and off topic) except one are on various shelves.

Most of my (and the yeti's (my husband)) off topic dolls live in an Ikea bookshelf in the lounge that has been turned into their house. Their clothes and what accessories aren't on display live in drawers that fill one of the cubby holes - the one above cubby hole has a door and is very slowly becoming their bathroom!

The one BJD who doesn't live on a shelf lives in a cupboard in my bedroom which has a sea theme going on inside it.

The human MSDs each have a cardboard box with their clothes in, which I must label. Shoes, wigs and accessories live in a larger cardboard box. The tinies clothes, shoes and accessories live in a set of 4 tiny drawers. Random accessories (mostly far too much Re-ment!) live in tiny clip top crates. Oh, I also have one of those crates full of eyes, and another full of random body parts - mostly for off topic dolls. And so I don't have to root around the cardboard boxes to see who has what clothes, I've got pics of everybody's wardrobe… :roll:

But we don't have pets any more. If we still had cats, then I'd probably have all my dolls in my office/study so I could keep the door closed when I wasn't in it.

17. I have a very tiny room. I don't know why I am buying more dolls. I don't know why they are all SD. I should have kept with tinies!! Like omg, there is NO ROOM. xD

Currently, the boys are all sitting on my ringdoll box, that is on a storage drawer thing. There are 5 currently, with 3 more on their way. I use a very large suitcase to hold ALL THE THINGS. With the exception of some of Nicky's things. Like his salon chair, some of the boys' hats, DaVinci's scythe, and some other things that can't quite be stored. (breakable/bend easily stuff.)

At first, and this sounds cruel, I had most of my dolls in a big box or smooshed in the carrier. Nicky was the only one out. Now they are all out, and taking over my room. xD I need to rearrange my room (again) just for them. I am also looking into getting a tall bookcase, as that will help with organization and I can clear out clutter that is stacked on another drawer thing. I definitely need to deep clean and de-clutter for these dolls. Since, I'm not going to stop collecting anytime soon..... >____<"

18. I have this twenty dollar wonder from Target. It is wide enough that I can lay out my SD sized things and not have them get fold marks while being stored. The deeper drawers are good for wigs and miscellaneous things like dollheart boxes. And it is only $20!
      I just wheel it into the closet to keep it out of the way (and away from light). And if I need to dig around in it to find something I just wheel it out. Best doll stuff organizer ever!

19. [MENTION=53887]lovelovegirl[/MENTION] I have 4 kitties and they will not jump where there is an over abundance of things plus they have never really jumped on bookshelves cause they are too full of dolls and or manga. Bags are nice for clothes and you can stick little dryer sheets in them and keeps them smelling fresh and clean.~

20. I wish my kitties were so well behaved. I have a 3 legged cat and he likes to get on shelves. He also likes doll wigs, I had to scold him already about getting to and trying to chew on one of my doll's braids xD

Tags: