1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you store your dolls day to day? XxX

Dec 21, 2015

1. Hello all,
      I was just wondering how different people store their dolls?
      My two sit on my desk most of the time but I feel like there could be a better place for them!
      I've seen doll wraps on Etsy which are essentially sleeping bags, is there any point to these?
      How do you keep the resin babies away from the dreaded sunlight?
      Discuss!
      XxX

2. I don't really store my dolls away. I like to see them on a daily basis so they all sit in my room on the table next to my bed. I don't have to worry about the sun because I have black curtains that I usually keep closed unless I'm in the room. I'm not super scared of yellowing but I do make sure that they're not bathing in the sun.

3. My dolls are sitting atop two separate shelves, except for one who stands on my bureau mostly because I think she's strung wrong and can't sit properly. I don't do anything particularly special to keep them out of the sunlight, but that's mostly because I keep my blinds shut throughout the day and the room they're in remains relatively dark otherwise. I think if I lived in a home that received a lot of natural sunlight I might go through the pains of installing a dark curtain of some sort over their shelves. To be honest, I prefer keeping them out rather than stored away in their boxes or a bag. I like seeing my dolls as that's usually the extent of my interaction with them a majority of the time.

4. The shelves and corner where they sit is the darkest corner of the living room...:[​IMG]
      and (for winter when the sun is lower in the sky so slants further into the room) my fiancé painted a waist-high folding screen to keep the sun off them.

Teddy

5. Oh wow I feel lame now, I keep my dolls in their boxes under my bed. No yellowing for me lol

6. Whatever works for you works for you, is what's best for you.

If I kept them in boxes it wouldn't be worth my having them - I want to see them and pick up whichever one I want to play with at a moment's notice and be able to plonk him-or-her back in place without needing to allow extra time for finding the right box and putting it all away again afterwards.

Teddy

#6 Teddy, Dec 21, 2015
      Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    7. I have mine in the lowest shelf of a glass cabinet. They are all MSD sized so they can sit comfortably with quite a bit of room left over. I live in an apartment more or less below ground level so our windows are maybe half the size of regular windows and the curtains always pulled for. Sunlight never makes it in, not directly, we have some daylight but nothing sharp and nothing that extends to the glass cabinet.

8. I keep them in their original box too. Only the one that i am playing is out from the box. I don't want my doll to get yellowing .
      But if i have more money in the future i would love to buy a glass cabinet that has UV cut glaze on the glass for my dolls to be displayed

9. I've never had the heart to keep them in a box nor did it ever cross my mind doing so either. Guess it would be different if I wasn't all that privileged what space goes. Back to the question at hand; I too, as Teddy, keep the resin family on full display on shelves. They have taken the entire room to themselves and I have the curtains down at all times, just in case of the sun and not wanting them to yellow more than necessary.

[​IMG]

Not all of them are in this picture, but it's where they hang out.

10. I have a hobby room in my house so everyone is on the shelf in chairs sitting or using doll stands for when I am not home. The windows have shades and they are almost always drawn to protect them from sunlight exposure and the room is always temperature controlled. The door is shut to keep the pets out of there as well. I'd share a picture but I cannot remember my Flickr password to save my life! LOL!

11. My dolls sit on a shelf in my living room, they are never in direct sunlight. It makes me happy to see them when I'm on the living room.

12. Nadeko has to live in her box on the usual day-to-day basis, she does sometimes spend a few weeks outside of her box but in that case she is sitting by or laying on her box in the closet.

13. Like Teddy and Ruki, mine are also out on open shelves, though I don't have quite so many so it's only one shelf (at least, until I bring the second one up from the car...)

The majority of my dolls live on a shelf near my bedroom door; the wall is perpendicular to the window, so sunlight never reaches that part of the room. There's also a couple sharing a chair on top of my bureau, and a few hang out on a separate shelf hung on the wall near the window (so again, sun doesn't reach it). Currently, two are sitting under my mini Christmas tree, as part of my decorations; I love having them out where I can see and touch them, so I've never considered either storing them in boxes, or storing them in a covered/enclosed shelf.

I don't have a picture of the full shelf, but here's the most crowded as of a couple months ago (there's another in this grouping, now, which is why I have to bring a second shelf up...)
      [​IMG]Middle shelf: Songs of Chaos by vicemage, on Flickr

14. All of my dolls are kept in their boxes since I keep all of the boxes anyways and it helps keep everything organized. I added additional shelving in my master bedroom closet so all of the boxes fit and I can easily take out one or two without needing to re-arrange everything. They are also completely out of the sun, which is nice, as I live in a very sunny apartment and only take them out when I am home on the weekends or in the evenings.

15. Mine are sitting on a doll bed that I turned into a day-bed/sofa for them, which is on my night table next to my side of the bed.

16. It's interesting to see that so many people keep their dolls out! I would've thought that everyone in this hobby would keep them packed away when not in use to avoid the dreaded yellowing. I will probably do that, honestly. But I might not care later on.

17. All of my dolls are out and exposed, they either sit on my desk or my night table, depending on where I am since I like to keep them near arm reach in case I wanna mess with one of them while I wait for a game to pop or my friends to get online and such. My room is super dark too and I live in a rainy place so the chances of them yellowing because of the sun is pretty much non-existent, yellowing on their own tho, nothing I can do about that.

18. I have all of my dolls out because I want to see them everyday. Two are on my dresser, and the other three are on the side table. I also have a little tiny off topic doll on my computer desk. My house is pretty dark (okay it's a cave) so I don't worry about yellowing, but honestly, when I lived in a sunny apartment, I still had them out. My ex boyfriend who was an avid action figure and statue collector once told me "toys are meant to be played with." For me, keeping my girls in their boxes to preserve their resale value or mint condition status would never work. When I move to a bigger place in March, I'm going to get the glass-front cabinet that matches my dresser and night stand for them to hang out in because the friend that's moving out here to stay with us has a cat. That said, I have two incoming dolls that will probably have to live in their boxes 'til I move because this cave is SMALL.

19. Berwyn and Ro hang out in Ro's pleather ResinSoul case under the couch when I'm not actively engaging with them or present. Sometimes I do just sit them on the coffee table while I'm watching TV or reading, but I can't leave them out alone as my cat cannot be trusted! :kitty1

20. This is an old, out-of-date photo, but a bunch of them just hang out in this lovely, deep bookcase.

[​IMG]

I do have 70+ dolls though, and the rest just live scattered around the place. (A vampire lives in his own coffin, three witches have their own table / diorama. I've had my father make three 'park benches' that hold four dolls each. My two favourites live next to where I sit in the living room...) The only time a doll returns to a box here is if it's been sold and en route to a new home.

Essentially, I like to be able to see them! :)