1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How frequently do you sell a doll?

Apr 2, 2017

1. I've only been in the hobby for slightly over two years, yet I've somehow managed to sell both my first and second dolls, along with three other impulse buys!

My intention when buying a doll is always to keep it, but new sculpts and awesome secondhand deals come popping up, and in order to avoid going bankrupt, I end up selling a doll. I've never really missed any of the dolls I sold, but I do sometimes feel bad for not keeping them.

That feeling got me wondering - how often do other hobbyists sell their dolls? Would you never part with any of your BJDs, or have you sold some to buy others?

2. Ahhh...all the time. >.> I've been in the hobby for nine years and I honestly can't tell you exactly how many dolls or parts I've owned.

On average, I'd say I stay fairly balanced, fluctuating between 15 to 22 dolls most of the time, if it gets closer to the higher end of that average, I start selling, if it drops low, I start buying. Sometimes I trade. I feel like it's extremely rare for me to not be waiting on a new doll or trying to sell an old one.

I don't think it's bad, and there's no reason to feel guilty. Do the hobby in the way you enjoy. Some people think of their dolls like children and could never ever sell one. Others, like me, enjoy the creativity of putting them together more than keeping them. I have about 5-10 who stick with me for long periods of time, but the rest on average last maybe 6 months to a year around here before I want to try something different. Besides, there are always new exciting dolls being released, it would be impossible to buy everything I like and never sell!

3. It's been a few years since I sold any of my crew... I think I've just gotten better at knowing what works for me and what doesn't.

4. I've sold three, and I expect there will be more over the years. These dolls are expensive...if you don't love one, there's no reason to feel guilty about passing it along to someone who will. After all, t's impossible to know in advance if you are going to be as head over heels with a three dimensional sculpt as you were with the promo pics!

5. I almost never sell. I've rehomed of a few bodies over the years that I didn't care for, and some heads that weren't quite what I expected, but for the most part, if they come home, they stay. Even when I'm not sure on a head, it can go and hang out in the head box for a while, and if after a time I really feel nothing for it, then off it can go to a new home where it will be loved and appreciated. But I certainly don't judge people who do send their dolls or doll parts on to new homes. Some of my favorites are second-hand! ^-^

6. I've sold all the dolls I bought so far, although that was due to me needing funds every single time. Not fun, since I haven't gotten to experience bonding with a doll because of that.

#6 Selenae, Apr 2, 2017
      Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    7. Most of my doll sales are due to reshelling characters or upgrading bodies. There's one character that just didn't seem right in two different sculpts before I finally landed on the third, which is absolutely perfect now. ^^ The first time I actually sold a doll just because I didn't really bond with them as much was this month, and I've been in the hobby since 2012. I bought three Minifees last year and just came to realize that they don't really fit with my collection, so I sold them so I could afford some personal things as well as two dolls that have been on my wishlist for a LONG time. <3 The number one thing I learned from that decision was that I personally need to put characters first. No more buying dolls without characters behind them, because otherwise I don't bond well with them.

8. In 8 (?) years, I've been through roughly 40 dolls. Two of them managed to stay for 2 and a half year, but most stay for 2-6 months.
      In the beginning I did that because I had low funds. if I wanted to own a new sculpt I had to sell one at home to be able to afford it. Then I went throught a phase where I was never satisfied with my dolls, especially as a group, and I either tried to quit the hobby or start over with "better" dolls.
      Now I've slowed down A LOT, but I'm currently going through a "start over/ upgrade" with my collection.

9. I have never sold a doll. I'm a collector first and foremost and therefore anything that enters my collection cannot leave it.

I have been able to sell clothing before but even that is hard for me.

10. This exactly! I've been in the hobby since 2009, have 26 dolls and have zero intentions of selling any of them. I get emotionally attached to objects rather easily so the thought of selling them never even crosses my mind

11. I've been collecting BJDs since 2005 and I've sold only 6 dolls, 3 heads and did 1 trade. I don't impulse buy much and I do know what I like.

12. I've never sold a doll. I've only had BJDs for a few months, but I've not sold any of the others that I have.

13. I've sold 3 MSDs so far and one YO-SD.

But I'm thinking of selling a few more. I have a few that I'm totally not bonding to...
      And I would like to get my shelves a bit less full

I'm an definatly an impulse buyer. I got often caught by owner or promo pics and when I got the girl in real live I'm not so impressed anymore.

It took me lot of time to realize why i can't bound to specific dolls.
      For me my criteria is bad posing, realistic eyes, big hands and to childish bodys..
      I try to sleep over before I buy a doll and think if i would really like her

14. I have impulsed bought many times & I have the credit card bill to prove it... lol.
      I try to hold onto my boys to see if I can change something or redo something to see if I fall in love with the doll, but I know somewhat quickly if the boy is staying or not.
      I have a few that won't be going anywhere anytime soon but don't feel guilty selling the ones I don't love any more.

15. I've sold a few dolls but only after owning them for a couple years before ultimately deciding that they don't work out for my OC. I have a problem with getting attached to the doll or the OC the doll has become. I'm currently struggling with one of my boys, but his OC is so developed, I think it would be pretty hard to work with the other dolls/OCs that involve him!

16. I've sold 2 bodies, 2 heads, and 1 full doll. Reasons ranging from (impulse) purchases that just didn't "feel right" once I got them, to unsuccessful hybridizing attempts. Sometimes you just don't know until you hold the doll.

I'm also getting the feeling that I have too many dolls now that I own 4SDs , so I might sell one or two more plus one that's already on it's way to market.

17. Dolls come in but they don't leave. I've been at this for almost 9 years and have 41 dolls. However, I recently purchased a body for a head and while I love the styling of the body (muscles... *rawr*), the character was being extremely stubborn about not accepting that body and insisting that he required a sleek body. So I bought him one and will now need to sell the body that I no longer need although there's a tiny voice in my head that says I should keep the body just in case. In case of what, I have no idea. I may also need to sell some parts that I'd purchased for the hybrid I was going to do.

I have a ton of wigs and eyes and clothes that I really should post for sale but keep putting it off. I guess it's just really hard for me to let go of stuff.

18. Haha, pretty often as I have made a lot of impulse buys that I regretted. I'm also somewhat picky about posing so if I get a doll and don't like how it poses, chances are it won't stay. And I feel the need to click with a doll in general, so if that doesn't happen within a reasonable amount of time, off they go! I don't like keeping dolls around that I'm not super attached to, and I hate keeping dolls in boxes, so I'm picky about who I keep and they stay out on display in my room ;; eue

19. As little as possible as it's a hassle. It takes a while for my dolls to sell as I guess my doll choices aren't that popular, lol. The main reason I sell is I need money for another doll that fits my criteria closer than what I have, or I feel like I have too many dolls and need more space. I'm trying not to sell anymore as it is nerve wracking to me, and I feel a little sad as I did like it, but just can't keep them all if I want a new one.

20. Very rarely. I don't impulse buy often and I do a lot of research. I think I've only sold one doll, one body, and two floating heads over the course of like... eight years, hah.