1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is it to you to have similar styles in face-ups for all your dolls?

Jan 26, 2021

?
  1. Extremely important - I will pay whatever it takes to get all the face-ups exactly as I want them.

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Somewhat important - Having a similar style is preferred and I can tolerate some variance.

34 vote(s)
    29.8%
  3. Neutral - It's nice if they do, but my collection has varied styles and there's no rush to change it

37 vote(s)
    32.5%
  4. Not important / Don't really care - other things are more important to to me when collecting

37 vote(s)
    32.5%
    1. This is not a big deal to me, I try to buy what I like . I must admit when I look at my dolls, feels like looking at clothes in my closet. You don't realize you've purchased a bunch of the same style or color:whee:

2. It is pretty important to me in general to have a cohesive flow to my collection, though in more recent years I have been branching out a bit in styles of dolls.
      For my Delfs and Kid Delfs, I want them all to have that classic old school Luts feel to them. I have go so far as to pay more for a faceup because I found someone willing to do faceups with a similar style.

Personally if I were to do another sibling pair, I would for sure send them to the same artist if at all possible.

3. I honestly don't care about that kind of consistency in the slightest. My collection is a mess of horribly clashing aesthetics and I kind of like that. I have dolls with gorgeous, professional-looking faceup next to dolls with my own sad, amateurish attempts, and it has never bothered me, though I definitely see how it could be a problem for some people.

4. Honestly, I'm kind of on the fence for this one. I don't really care whether or not the aesthetics of my dolls match, but I also DEFINITELY have a type of face up style that I go for, so they might end up unintentionally matching anyway? I'd only be really particular about it if the dolls were supposed to be related in some way I guess.

5. I've never really considered if it's important to me or not, eheheh because I do all my own faceups for my dolls so I pick what style I want... I just do similar styling on dolls in the same little groups.

6. Don't think it would stop me. I can't decide on makeup for my own face. Sure it may look a bit weird in a photo where I may have all of them on display but I don't think that would change my mind. I am keen on just getting company faceups with future purchases for now, as I learn more about the hobby.

7. I always subject the faces of dolls to their character. When I learn to paint faceups, I would like them to have my signature. But I'm not looking for a uniform style. It's enough if my various dolls don't look silly in a photo together.

8. I don't care about the faceup similarities but I do only keep the volks 1/3 girls in the end and only buy volks 1/3 girls now ><

9. I'm one of those people who buy dolls to fit characters and since all of my characters interact with each other I find it the best when my dolls have similar aesthetic both sculpt and faceup-wise. However I see nothing bad when someone has a bunch of dolls in very different styles. Diversity is a wonderful thing. If I could afford many dolls I'd probably experiment more with it as well.

10. I have a mix of my own face ups (varying quality), company, and professional face ups. I don't mind the variety and seeing high quality work encourages me to improve my skills!

I focus more on sculpts that look good together than face ups that match. If I'm planning to photograph my dolls together, they need to be in scale and look vaguely like they could be in the same world, ie not hyper realistic dolls with huge anime eye dolls. But, the face up can be quite different. In real life people have all kinds of make-up and styles, so I would not worry too much if there is differences in style of face up.

However, for dolls that are twins or family members, having the same style of face up (probably from the same artist, but maybe not!) would more important, so that they look related.

For dolls that I don't belong to each other's worlds I don't worry at all. Any aesthetic goes!

11. I like a variety of dolls size wise and I only have company face ups so far. I buy dolls because I like the aesthetic and it’s not important to me that they have the same style of face up. I generally go for realistic SD male sculpts and maybe that particular aesthetic means that those dolls do work together, in a way. I hope to learn to do face ups at some stage but I know I’d work on a blank head rather than wiping a company face up.

12. I seem to be 100% in accord with you on this one; my collection has to be perfectly consistent across all dolls, with similar faceups and sculpts, even clothing style, I just want them to look like they are all from the same family or something! Of course I don’t have any intention to have identical dolls, but sisterly for sure.
      I also struggled when starting my collection to find the aesthetic to settle on - eventually I discovered doll makers that all fit together well and work towards maintaining that consistency.
      My tip if you are struggling to find your aesthetic is to just experiment; get some dolls, see what you like and don’t like, your family will grow and shrink as you figure it out and that’s okay ^^
      When I started in the hobby I had dolls of so many different styles and sizes and it’s what led me to discover my perfect match after about 5 years! Have fun with it :3nodding:

13. I like dolls with a very sweet style, and I always get company face ups, which are usually done in that typical soft, sweet style. So it’s not very difficult for me to get dolls with similar faceup styles.

There are, of course, variations in the colors and tones on my dolls’ face ups (one has lots of warm pinks, the other has more cool pinks), but that’s ok with me.

14. I am not a fan of having similar faceups
      I like my dolls to all have sth unique in themselves.

but personally however, I like my dolls looking natural rather than fancy

15. For me, it's less that i want all my dolls to look the same and more that i prefer a certain faceup style, so all/most of my dolls are in that style.

I like bold, stylized faces, so all my dolls are bold and stylized.