1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is resin matching, really?

Aug 16, 2010

1. As has been mentioned already, I'd agree that it is really a matter of personal preference. IMHO, those who are less picky are lucky, since they have more options! ^_~

I am really picky about resin match, unfortunately. If I can notice the difference automatically without having to look for it, then it will bug me. And I am perfectly willing to use blushing/faceup to help . . . but only to an extent, and if is the body that needs blushing, than forget it. xD

But honestly, if other people have heads and bodies that I think match terribly, I really don't care. Poor resin match and/or odd proportions would bug me on my own dolls because I see them for hours every day. But on someone else's doll, in the gallery? I can certainly look at photos and appreciate their beauty without being bothered in the slightest. I just can't stand seeing the mismatch day in and day out. xD

2. Resin matching is important to me.

While I am just barely entering the realm of hybrids, I really want to make sure the head looks as if it belongs on the body in terms of color and porportion. Other users have made really lovely hybrids that don't meet this criteria and I enjoy looking at the many many many different versions of BJDs out there. However, at this point in time, as a BJD collector I want my resin to match. I do not want to have to blush it, or hide it, or paint it, or modify it a great deal (perhaps later in my collecting years my mind will change).

I do not feel that a perfectly matching and proportioned hybrid will make DOA users enjoy seeing my posts of my dolls more. If anything, the more unique the doll, the more DOA (in general) loves it.

3. I'm very picky about colors being just the right shade. That being said, I've learned that resin match isn't the be all and end all of hybrids. All three of my big boys are hybrids, and while the resin of the head and bodies don't match when factory fresh, a little bit of blushing matches them up perfectly so you'd never know!

On other people's dolls it doesn't bother me so much because you expect it in dolls. It just makes me wonder what body they used, if anything. As long as the match isn't really bad (like an extreme tan line), I hardly notice it in other dolls.

4. To me, *exact* resin matching isn't important (anymore)... My only body is a yellowish NS, and the head that currently resides on it is a pinkish NS, but the difference is not really noticeable, especially when she is clothed. I did freak out a little when I opened the head's box... "Oh crap! That is going to look AWFUL!!!!" The colours looked way different before I popped it on the body. But then, after the Oasisdoll head was on the Shinydoll body, it just really didn't look too different! And when I showed it to my husband saying "Not too bad, huh?" he didn't know what I was referring to until I stuck her hand up next to the head... He thought I was just referring to the sculpt, bless him...

How-ever (she adds) I don't think I'd be really comfortable with a NS head on a WS body or something like that. I think in that case I would either wait till I could get a WS/WS body and head or try to match the head to the body with paints or pastels... Which I think I might end up doing with my Natalie head when her body comes (which is a WS)...

5. I would care on my own doll if i could tell with a first glance. But if i thought body blushing would help i would be willing to do that, or get someone who can actually do something like that. But because i am quite new to the hobby to i tend not to head swap a doll from 2 companies. I have done male to female body swap before though ^^ One of my dolls i couldn't swap at all since she has lilac/purple skin so finding a match would be a no. But i like the body she is on any way.

To be honest the idea of the resin not matching though, just put me off the idea of hybridizing though, i am not saying i wouldn't do it, just i would have my worries and currently i wouldn't. Plus i know the companies try and have their own resin colours to be unique from each other. I know you can get pretty close sometimes though.

On other peoples dolls, i don't really care i have seen some dolls that are way off and thought to myself that doesn't look right even with the blushing. But if they are happy with the doll that is the important thing, because at the end of the day we are the ones that live with our dolls so as long as they are right for us then it doesn't matter the preferences of others.

We all have are tastes an preferences at the end of the day and since the dolls are in them selves art no matter what some people will like one doll and not another. That just means we all have different tastes. There is nothing wrong with the dolls we don't like, they are just not for us.

6. In my own dolls, I do care about resin matching, and will do my best to find parts that fit what I want as far as sculpt and proportion and that match. However, the proportion/sculpt aspect is more important to me, and I will sacrifice resin match to achieve it if needed. After all, I can somewhat correct resin match problems, either by digitally editing photos or by blushing. Overall, I do tend to be fairly relaxed about resin matches. As long as it's close, I'm content. It does not have to be exact.

In other people's dolls, I may notice resin mismatch if it occurs, but I am not bothered by it.

7. Well, when I got the body for my first doll, Polle, I was aware of the fact that the resin match wouldn't been perfect. But when the body arrived, the color difference wasn't so bad, the body is just a bit lighter than the head. At first I thought that I would blush the body but I've been too lazy "D And I grew accustomed to the difference, and it doesn't really bother me anymore.
      On other people's dolls... Well, It doesn't bother me. Of course if you but a white skin head to a tanned body, it might look a bit weird for me.. But who am I to judge? If the difference doesn't bother the owner, it's ok and I'm fine with that too :3

8. How important is resin matching to you, personally?
      Mmmm, important-ish. I've been through the resin-matching process and I'm not desperate to do it again. I found the whole thing a bit stressful, honestly. It was one of the reasons my floating head didn't get a body for like, well over a year. I am interested in proportion (and fit!) more than colour. Colour is something that can be fixed with blushing or an airbrush (either the head or the body... or both!)

How do you feel when you see someone else's doll on a body that doesn't match by size or resin? Does it put you off or do you not notice/care at all?
      It's absolutely none of my business, unless I'm being specifically asked by them for an opinion. Are they happy with it? Then that's cool. I believe the hobby is about finding the ways to please oneself ^^

9. Resin matching IS important to me, but as long as it can be fixed by blushing, it's nothing to worry about. I have a CP WS head on a dollndoll WS body, and without blushing the match wouldn't be brilliant- CP is more creamy almost green-toned whereas the dollndoll is more pinky. But I blushed the head and body deeper green and now the match is pretty much flawless (of course, he looks diseased, but thats part of his character ^^).
      Also it's not just different companies who may have potential resin matching issues, but age as well. I have a brand-new Luts head on an old (three years? dunno) SDF body which is very yellowed, so I'm planning to deliberately yellow the head at some point to match.
      Of course, character comes into play too. If they are quite prudish and wear modest clothes most of the time, you can get away with more. Also, say if the character in question is a Goth, you could get away with a WS head on NS body, because it might just look like they were wearing really heavy white foundation (you could blush the underside of the chin pink for that "tideline" look). I have a deathrocker doll whose face doesn't really match his body because I blushed it white, but it looks more like he's wearing makeup than his resin isn't matching.

If somebody else had a doll whose resin didn't match, I wouldn't immediately assume they didn't care. It may be that they have other issues they prioritise over matching, such as posibility, height, etc. If it's really obvious it would distract me from the rest of the picture, but then, I simply could choose not to look ^^

10. really interested diskussion O_O

i bought yesterday a leeke d dream and want to give her hooves from peapod doll in normal skin (white goat hooves and horns) and this is, like peapod doll said, the same skin like volks normal skin, but i think this is perfect as well, because animel-like-demons, this doll would be, have nothing perfekt skin colour, too >3 i think this would be very good this skin-differenzes >3

another thing: some joints of my Demi were changed and even it's the same resin colour, and nothings getting yellow or something, the new joints are lighter than the rest, but that changed parts are under a pants, so it doesn't bother me >3
      even the joints were not under a clothing, it wouldn't bother me. at the beginning, it bothers me a little bit, but now, nothing >3

nobody is perfect! dolls, too! even that i'm a perfectionist, that is goooooood for me, don't let this differens bother me *-*

11. How important is resin matching to you, personally?

I love hybrids and try very hard to get the resin match as close as possible, then I blush (usually the head) to disguise any slight difference in color. Resin match is important to me, but since imperfections can be corrected, I don't worry about it much.

How do you feel when you see someone else's doll on a body that doesn't match by size or resin?

Proportion bothers me more than resin match and it bothers me no end when I have trouble finding the perfect sized body for heads I own. I don't really care what other people do with their own dolls.

Does it put you off or do you not notice/care at all?

I definitely notice and wonder why the owner did not use a more proportionate body or try to find a closer resin match, but I am ultimately not concerned about other people's choices about dolls.

12. How important is resin matching to you, personally?

It is extremely important to me because I am a perfectionist concerning my dolls. I want them to be visually pleasing to me and for them to accurately reflect their characters because it is vital to my enjoyment of them. I find resin mismatching to be jarring and unattractive. I also find proportions to be very important as well, and if I cannot find a head/body match that covers resin match and proportions that work well together along with being accurate for the character, I simply do not make the doll or sell the pieces I have. I will not be satisfied with a doll who is just ok or passing good. I've been lucky with my hybrids in that the ones that have stuck around all worked really, really well. My Peroth is on a Volks body, and I like that he looks like he was purchased as a whole doll.

How do you feel when you see someone else's doll on a body that doesn't match by size or resin? Does it put you off or do you not notice/care at all?

I will probably go "Ugh, bad resin match" or "that head looks bad on that body" to myself and then move on. What a person does with their doll is none of my business, but I am allowed to think it looks bad. It's really not something that keeps me awake at night.

13. Resin matching is fairly important to me. But I often felt that it is fixable with blushing... to a certain extent.
      I mean, if hands doesn't match body, I can blush the hands to match the body, that is easy. But if it is a colour match that would require an air brush, since I don't have one, if I get one done I can't fix chipping myself, then forget about it. I'll find another way.

So yes. I want my resin to match, it does look unattractive to me if they don't. I'll try to work my way around it, but if it isn't something I can do without too much hassle I won't bother with it.
      That being said: I find proportions personally more important since that is something that is hard to fix. A huge head will be huge and it isn't like you can sand a bobble head down. So even if resin match perfectly and proportion doesn't, I'd still say no to it.

Sure I'll notice it. Do I care? Nah.
      Other people's doll are other people's business. I'd probably make a mental note about that match doesn't work but that would be just about it.

14. Resin match is pretty important to me, honestly. I find it really distracting when resin doesn't match. I don't insist that a match be PERFECT, but I do want it to be very close, especially since sometimes a poor match looks exaggerated in photographs. If a little blushing (of the head -- maintaining that kind of blushing on bodies is WAY too hard) can make it acceptable that's fine, but if I can't easily cover a poor match it's just not going to work for me. There are heads I've opted not to buy because I wouldn't have been able to get a body I liked that I felt was a good enough match.

I find it distracting on other people's dolls too. I'm not going to get up in someone's face all "OMG YOUR DOLL DOESN'T MATCH HOW DARE YOU" or say anything at all really, because it's their doll and their opinion is what matters, but it does really detract from the appeal of the doll for ME. I'm pretty fussy about proportions too. Bobble-headedness especially REALLY bothers me, so most minimees, for instance, I find unappealing.

15. How important is resin matching to you, personally? How do you feel when you see someone else's doll on a body that doesn't match by size or resin? Does it put you off or do you not notice/care at all?

I personally seek out relatively close resin matches (as well as proportion and scale matches) when I am hybriding. It doesn't have to be exact, but I like close matches and I like the sizes to be pretty well matched. I also try to seek out resins that will age similarly together. However, I do my own customizing and modding work, so blushing to match is also something that works well! :)

I know I have asked a ton of questions about matches in the past, so now I post information in the Request forum and Discussion threads to help out anyone who may want to hybrid more obscure dolls (or companies that aren't as popular with companies that are more well-known). I will warn people when I see that a scale or a resin match will not work so well and I hope it never comes off as annoying (I know that it is frustrating to search and search and then not find what you're looking for). I have received a fair amount of questions and requests about resin and proportion matches and I hope I have been able to help out as many people as possible with it. :)

I don't mind seeing someone else's doll not match in terms of size or resin as that is their own personal aesthetic. I've seen people do a lot of amazing modding and customizing work on hybrids that you'd think wouldn't initially work well at all. I think it's really cool! :)

16. How important is resin matching to you, personally? seriously not at all. i got a ns head on a ws body. for the longest time he had ws parts on a ns body. XD but i do plan to dye him blue so yeah doesn't matter. got others that don't matter either. even have one that came from the company with a white head and ns body.

How do you feel when you see someone else's doll on a body that doesn't match by size or resin?resin doesn't bother me. and the size not matching has to be drastic for me care. and in care i mean hit the back button. we are talking like sticking a yo head on a sd. that would really make me scratch my head and not really care to look in the gallery of it. unless i don't know it was sopposed to be beetle juice at the end of the movie. and still it would make me not want to look.

Does it put you off or do you not notice/care at all? most part i don't notice. in person it's a bit more obvious and i might ask a question, but don't really care. the size thing though. agian it's a huge difference i'll notice and hit the back button or maybe avoid saying anything about that doll to the owner.

17. When hybridding, I do try to make it match at least somewhat, but it doesn't bother me that much.
      When someone else has a doll that has two completely different colors, or a bobble head or something, I might think it's a bit silly, but obviously it works for the owner and that's what matters.

18. It depends. I've seen it done quite well but personally, heads that seem disproportionally out of propotion (like GIANT head or SUPER SMALL head). Resin matching if it's close, I don't care. If it's really painfully off (white skin on tan) I'm confused as to why unless it's clear there's an aesthetic reason for it (ie: white face paint on a tan human... why not just do a white head on tan body).

However, if it doesn't bother you, don't let it!

19. I thought it was very important to me. Now, however, I got Celaran. He's a Minimee head on a UniReal body and the head's ever so slightly more pink than the body. Not too much so but you can clearly see it. Doesn't matter much to me anymore, however, cos the proportions are right. Mind you, for my other, still bodyless, Minimee head, I might go for a different body. Just to see how resin and proportions match. Not anytime soon, though. Got no space left for a fourth of the big boys ... *lol*

20. I think both proportion and colour match is important. At some point I may at least sculpt a head to look like my favorite composer. For convenience I'll probably adapt it to the neck of my boy and try to get a resin colour that will match his companies' resin or perhaps use his body for a one time recast (just for this one new character).

I wouldn't mind if the colours are a bit different but I'd probably get annoyed if there is an obviously clear difference in colour between the body and the head.

Or perhaps I'll learn to make an entire body which would also be great. Then I could have him aged according to most of his portraits. JS Bach was a bit chubby from when he was middle aged.

As far as I'm concerned, head sizes have to look natural with the body size, especcially the neck, obvious colour differences would look unnatural.