1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is resin matching, really?

Aug 16, 2010

1. I don't really think that I would mind too much about the resin colors matching for my own dolls. Most of the time they're fully clothed anyway, and if I had a spare dollie to experiment on, it would be neat to explore a 'patchwork quilted' effect, I think... But anyway, as far as my dolls, nope, I don't really care! :3 Size, I might be a bit more picky about for my own, but that's only if the size was vastly, hugely different... (Like a SD-size doll head on an MSD body, or the other way 'round?)

As far as other people's dolls... Well, that's none of my business! I've been surprised by what other people get to work for them, though...

2. I absolutely do not care if the body does not match the head (except if its a NS/Tan on a WS that would just be too much xD)
      I do feel it needs to match on body size though since I would feel something is really wrong with it and it would not work for me xP

I feel its really annoying when looking for "matching" bodies and all I see are color matches and how this and that does not work while all I want is to know if I can put the head on it without too much modding xP

Most people are proportionally made, but they rarely have "one" color bodies ;3

3. I am very picky about both resin matches and proportions. I can stand a difference of one or two shades (I had a NS AiL head on a Dollstown freshskin body, the difference was just noticeable enough to irk me even though in certain lighting circumstances you couldn't even tell there was a difference), but not more. I've been doing a lot of research for a bunch of dolls I'm planning that are almost all hybrids and things like more yellowed heads on pinker bodies or vice versa do bother me (but I wouldn't get in anyone's face about it). For my own dolls, I want the match to be as perfect as can be without sacrificing the proportions I'm looking for, if the body is gorgeous but slightly different in color than the head, so be it.

OT:
      @TMar: I think you'd be better (and cheaper) off to just buy another body, rather than recast it. Casting is quite expensive and a lot of work and people in the doll world REALLY don't like recasts, even if they're for personal use.

4. I've got a Buddydoll April head on a Customhouse oldresin body, and the difference is apparent. Her head is a fair bit more of a yellow cast than her body, which is pinker. Do I care? Heck no! Her proportions are perfect for that body, she looks a fair bit like a fae, which is what I was after, plus it's the only body I've found (save a Buddydoll, which they don't make anymore), that I wouldn't have to mod the hole in her neck for. It's wicked small.

In some lights, you can see it, and it's blatent, in others, it's a good match. I honestly don't mind color matching, it's more proportion, size, and height I'm after. If it truly bugged me that much, I'd start heavily blushing the neck and head to match each other, but it really doesn't much bother me. There are limits for me, though, such as a NS head on a WS body or vice versa, if it wasn't blushed to match, or blushed to blend, my brain would seriously hiccup at the disconnect. But to each thier own.

5. I think resin colour matching is way less important to me that the head matching the bodies proportions. I know that can be a matter of opinion but as long as I'm happy with the result, I'm never worried about what other people think of my dolls. I had a big issue with my DT Estella head - getting her a body to match that huge head, but it was all about my own personal taste rather than caring what others would think. I've seen plenty of Estella's on smaller bodies and as long as their owner loves them, who am I to turn my nose up?

With resin I think a degree of mismatch can be fudged with blushing and clothing so it isn't hugely important to me :)

6. My thing is I am visually impaired and it does make a difference to me because I am detailed oriented and there are times when I can't tell a difference but others can and that makes it hard knowing it doesn't and others can see it I just prefer they match so lucky me I have two friends who are really really nice and got me into this hobby and they make sure that things match for me so that I don't have to worry about it, because they know it bothers me and that I can't tell.

7. I think I would be pretty uptight about resin matching. I have a few floating heads (with another MNM on the way) and all of them are very realistic looking. Resin match is important as long as it's pretty close. If it's not exact, I'm sure that a face up and body blushing can mask that somewhat if it's done right.

8. How important is resin matching to you, personally?
      I personally think that matching resin is VERY important. I don't want to go through the pain of photoshopping their hands or body or head so that they match for the sake of a balanced photo. I've had to go through this when editing cosplay photos and believe me, I'm very tired of it... If it's not an accurate color, it bothers me to no end and I just DON'T feel the motivation to deal with it.

How do you feel when you see someone else's doll on a body that doesn't match by size or resin?
      It will bother me, because I'll end up feeling that picky perk in the back of my mind... but I won't do or say anything about it. If that's how he chose his doll to look, then it's up to him. Also, say if he were trying to find a certain pair of hands that the doll company doesn't sell and he goes to another one and finds the perfect hands! But their resin isn't matching... it's an honestly innocent flaw that doesn't matter too much.

Does it put you off or do you not notice/care at all?
      I try not to notice. And I try not to care. But if they ask my opinion, I'll just say that "I wish the resin matched a bit more."

9. How important is resin matching to you, personally?
      Not very. I would like a loose match, but I'm really not picky. I know a little blushing can go a long way to match up a hand and a neck, and I feel as though that is all I really need to know. My Gerard is a bit off and I'm not regularly bothered by it, but the next time I pull him apart, I'm going to do some neck blushing. I do feel a bit conscious of going to my first meetup with him, mostly because I want to make some friends and I don't want anyone to be bothered by his minimal mismatch. Regularly, I'd say anyone who is bothered by a flaw is not worth my time, but the doll world is different, it does not automatically mean they are a bad person. Regardless I love Gerard and his resin difference does not change the way I see him.

How do you feel when you see someone else's doll on a body that doesn't match by size or resin?
      Oh goodness, it hardly fazes me. I did see a photo of someone's "well-known" doll recently where it was obvious their hand did not match their body, but I thought it was cute! As far as proportion, I do not mind. I've seen some really cute ones recently. It is something that I take notice of. My eyes tend to catch the proportion mismatch right away, but it does not bother me in any way. I think it's kind of fun! They're dolls!

10. I am now waiting a Soah head to arrive and I have almost have nightmares ;) how to find a matching body for her! I am so happy to find out, that it is 'ok' to have a little colour difference. Ofcourse I would love to find the perfect shade of colour, but I love the Soah head so much, that I think in the end I would almost accept any body -as long as the proportion is right (and that the body is beautiful and has great joints).
      I don't notice if there is a bad resin match in photos -what I look in the photos is the light, atmosphere, posture, clothes...

11. How important is resin matching to you, personally?
      Pretty important, honestly. I have a hybrid doll of my own and was fortunately able to get a pretty darn close match on my first body purchase attempt. Personally, I am totally okay with blushing a head and/or body if they are just slightly off. However, if it was a blatant mis-match it would drive me insane. To me, this really is a luxury hobby. Anything less than perfect is unacceptable for how much I spend.

How do you feel when you see someone else's doll on a body that doesn't match by size or resin? Does it put you off or do you not notice/care at all?
      When I see it in pictures, such as on the forums, it's one of those things that simply makes me back-click and I nearly almost forget about them instantly. But then again, I do the same if I come across dolls with bad proportions or a variety of other things. I wouldn't say it puts me off necessarily, because such things are so common on the board that I've become desensitized to them, just makes makes it so I won't comment or otherwise spend long on the page. I also wouldn't comment on it if I met someone with such a doll. Rather than getting put off by it, it would just make me think, 'Well, there's another one, nothing special there.' I wouldn't necessarily dislike a doll just because of that, it would just detract from it's other good qualities. If a person loves their doll, they love it regardless of flaws. I love all my dolls too. To make me love another person's dolls, though, they really gotta be something special! I really respect people who take the time and research to make a great looking hybrid.

12. Slight differences in resin tone don't bother me as long as I can blush to make a reasonable match/look.

I am also in the camp that proportions between body and head look good. It drives me nuts if the neck size looks wrong for the head, and for me, is particularly problematic with minimee heads. I have discovered that most minimee heads are really just too big for standard bodies/necks, and I like the proportions on an EID body better than any other. Iplehouse doesn't have a resin shade that really matches, but cream white does alright with a little blushing. So I am willing to trade off exact resin match for the proportions I like.

13. Differences that are not overwhelming and that do not look glaringly obvious in a photo to me are acceptable, but it gets on my nerves if a resin match is obvious both IRL and in pictures. Mismatched proportions are another thing I cannot tolerate, so it's hard to say which bothers me more.

14. I'm going to qualify my answer here ahead of time: the only doll I have that is anything but 'how it came' in terms of its parts is a mix-and-match of parts from the same company, in the same skin tone. They're known to have variances from batch to batch, but it isn't present in these batches.

I think it's only as important as it is to any given viewer, and there isn't any universal 'answer' beyond that to really apply here. It's another one of those issues where there's not a real 'right' or 'wrong'. Own what you want, and if you like it, it's fine -- just be prepared for the fact that not everyone else may share that opinion. Reality is, someone may not like a complete sculpt either, so it's just one of many factors that will have an impact on whether other people like the doll or not.

I only have an issue with it if it is visually distracting. There are a lot of ways to prevent that from happening, from using different light to blushing to just being so otherwise gorgeous that it doesn't let me notice. Even if I notice, provided it isn't a notable distraction from what I'm supposed to be looking at, I don't mind.

15. For me, it really depends how much of a difference there is. I own a Migidoll Miho on a B&G body and at first I had plans to find a better match, but now I've realised that I don't need to because even though there is a slight difference, it's not glaringly obvious and it doesn't show up too bad in photos. To me, he looks okay, so I don't care if the match isn't absolutely perfect. I certainly wouldn't judge anybody else for having mismatching bodies and heads. If you're happy with your doll then I don't see what the problem is.

16. How important is resin matching to you, personally?
      I'd be bothered if it was off by more than 2 shades.

It's their doll. I don't really care.

17. How important is resin matching to you, personally?
      as long as it's not badly off, i can stand it. but i would prefer the head to be paler than the body rather than the body be paler than the head if there's a mismatch, since most people's necks are usually darker than their faces. and it seems more natural. this is actually the case for both my dolls, who are hybrids and have paler head than body. it isn't that obvious under certain light, but can be glaringly obvious in others. i just try to avoid taking photos of them when it's glaringly obvious. because i would be kind of irritated with the really bad and awful match.

How do you feel when you see someone else's doll on a body that doesn't match by size or resin? Does it put you off or do you not notice/care at all?
      it's their doll. i would usually be vaguely irritated when i spot it, but it tends to go away after a while. size bothers me more than resin match. the best example would be MNMs. i can't stand it if they are on normal SD bodies or even the MNM bodies cos they just look bobby headed. but after a while, i would get used to the doll, and it's just a trait of that doll. though personally, i think MNMs need bigger bodies to pull of a more realistic look.

18. More than a few shades of difference really bothers me. I have a dollshe head on a somewhat older Soom SG body, which has turned a true cream white, as opposed to dollshe's pure white, and it drives me nuts in certain lighting >:( Headsize looking correct on the body is important to me, but normally it's the necks that make me grit my teeth- even in my none-hybrids, alot of the necks seem really, really long.

I might blink and go "Bwuh?" at other's dolls if the difference is glaringly obvious, but really, it's none of my buisness nor is it hard for me to go back a page if it's bothering me that much. To each their own, as is the general concensus in many a thread.

None the less it's interesting and visually appealing that there are so many variations across the skintones, of different warmths and tints and intensity of colour...can make hybrids a real P.I.T.A though!

19. I haven't had to deal with this subject personally but I know myself: it would drive me nuts if head and body didn't match. Perfectly. I guess I'll just never buy anything separate because gah!

20. How important is resin matching to you, personally?
      Very important. I just feel like the doll looks like it's in pieces if you can see an obvious resin mismatch. I even notice it on people when they wear too much bronzer :sweat I need things to be flush, I guess.

I've seen dolls at meetups that literally had a head that was white/green on a NS body. I won't lie, it really puts me off and I always wonder why they would even spend so much money on a doll and either not even bother to airbrush it the same, or find a better match. But, at the same time, it's not my doll, so my opinion doesn't really matter.