1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is resin matching, really?

Aug 16, 2010

1. I don't like obvious resin mis-match, in my own dolls as well as others. It feels jarring to look at. That said, I would never personally tell someone their doll looks bad because of the mis-match (unless they were specifically asking for critique) - obviously it's not bothering them, I'm doing them no favours by criticising.
      I have two hybrids, one have a very close resin match between the head and body, the other has an obvious mis-match. I've attempted to blush to lessen the effect, but it's sill pretty obvious when the doll is unclothed. It bothers me enough to consider buying a new faceplate in a darker resin tone, at least after seeing examples of the resin match which don't exist online just yet.

2. I guess I'll find out soon-trying to make my first hybrid now. The body will arrive in November. Right now I would say that proportion and stylistic match are more important, but I might find when it gets here that an exact resin match is more important to me. Or I could just happily blush up and go on-just don't know yet.

I do have a Soom Galena head that I bought an older Soom body for (from the first Beryl, IIRC) and there is a slight difference-the older body is a little yellower. I noticed it at first, but it doesn't bother me now, so I suspect I'll be OK if my hybrid is off by a shade or two.

What other people find beautiful/acceptable in their dolls is really their business. If they're having fun with them, that's all I care about.

3. I personally would like my dolls body to match the head, but still it wouldn't bother me terribly. I mean, think, the skin tone on our heads don't always match the skin tone on our bodies!

4. I'm a repeat resin-match offender, none of my dolls' bodies match their heads, and the jointed hands I bought for my boy are a very different color from his body. As long as it still manages to look nice I don't mind, any resin color that isn't yellow is fine by me, and sometimes sticking to a resin match requires you to get a yellower body than maybe you could find.

5. I'm a firm believer in matching resin. I mean, I won't criticise someone if they dont match, but thats their business. I mean, with my own, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and when, for example, I ordered horns for Aki, I was relieved to find they were a near perfect match for his resin, and, as such, was pleased. xD I'd have had to sell them on if they didnt match.

6. I think the only way in which it would bother me would be if someone had done it almost comically. i mean, to each his own but I feel I might be a little unintentionally off-putting if someone put the head of an SD on an MSD or something.

7. I'd have thought it would really bother me, but I'm finding that I can live with "pretty close". None of my dolls have their bodies sealed, so there's a slight difference between head and body even on those who are still on the bodies they came with anyways. I don't much like to see an obviously pink tone/yellow tone clash, but the resin match doesn't have to 100% for me.

8. "How important is resin matching to you, personally? How do you feel when you see someone else's doll on a body that doesn't match by size or resin? Does it put you off or do you not notice/care at all?"

It's not important to me personally yet, but I'm a bit worried that my very white doll's ears might not mellow with age as fast as the rest of him. They are removable and because he can't be trusted with them, they stay in the box. My girl's high heel feet don't quite match the rest of her yellow gold color. It's difficult to match resins when you have to get new parts.

For people who have dolls that don't quite match heads in color or size (difficult, with neck sizes varying), perhaps that's the look they are going for, or the body the head will have is still waiting in budget limbo, and they want to still enjoy their doll's personality? I think I wouldn't care if the person was happy, and if they were trying to find a way to get a different look, I might suggest something if they wanted help. But I'm more likely to look at a company picture of a doll and think "What the heck were they thinking?" because obviously they are the ones who start these things, by putting heads on sale separate and giving away free heads! (which can be a good deal). But then someone else might be looking for just that effect? So no, I don't care, and I also don't think that it's polite to make fun of other people's dolls.

9. I used to be fanatical about resin matching and would never have a hybrid unless I HAD to (ie head-only company like RML). Years into the hobby I find I'm not so uptight about it, in the interest of greater versatility and general mellowing out. I do find obvious mis-matches jarring, but if someone is happy with their doll, who can fault that? Enthusiastic dolly ownership of any sort is okay by me! Someday I do want to make a frankendolly of wildly mis-matched pieces, but I don't have much moolah these days to play with, so it'll have to happen "someday".

Raven

10. NO RESIN MATCH,
      BLUSH TO MATCH.
      [​IMG]
      LOL NOBODY CARES

Seriously, unless your doll is one of these clothes-hating types who strut around mostly naked 99% of the time, what does it matter if the resin matches? If it matters THAT much, you can blush it, or send it off to a professional who will happily airbrush it for you.

I can understand how you wouldn't want a doll which has yellowed unevenly, because that makes the whole process of blush-to-match harder, but honestly... it's all about the fit. If the head fits the body, that's all you've got to worry about. Adding and subtracting resin can be tricky. Changing it's color? Not so much!*

(*unless of course you're trying to get that PERFECT dye job for a VERY specific color... in which case, paint or airbrush FTW)

11. For some reason it would bother me, but that's because I'm a rabid perfectionist who drives people mad. I ordered some jointed hands for Kiddo and I'm definitely worried about whether they'll match or not. I know resin matching can be done and will throw myself on the mercy of my dolly friends for pointers if the hands are funky looking.

12. For me, I just want doll that look like there head is on the right body. ^^ It doesn't have to be a prefect match, just enough that when I take picture, it won't look like I chop off some doll body off and just stick his head on to it. XD

13. I definitely care a lot about resin matching. However, if the resin doesn't match well, I try to dress the doll so that only his hands show. Unless the resin match is horrible, it's not going to be that noticeable if just the doll's head and hands are exposed. It does limit what the doll can wear, though. I have one hybrid doll whose body yellowed more rapidly than his head and I'm thinking about just buying him a new body so I don't have to be so picky about his clothes.

14. I prefer resin to match, but if it's a bit off, I don't think I mind so much. Unless it's like REALLY obvious- then it kind of shakes me a bit. xwx;

15. My views on dolls have changed a lot over the years I've been in the hobby...I didn't really like Hybrid dolls to start with, now I hybridise like a mad woman...
      I think you have to bear in mind anyway that even resin colours can vary from batch to batch, and blushing the head or body is easy enough to do, so no, resin matches don't bother me at all, because they can be fixed.
      Also proportions can be hidden with clothing e.g. you might not like 'bobble heads' but if the doll is wearing some huge outfit the head will actually look quite off if it's too small.So I think it's more a case of an 'overall' look.
      As to what other owners think or do, well it's up to them. That doesn't bother me either.

16. It really depends for me- if it's the same tone (ie, the same yellow or pink tone, or the same reddish tan or golden tan) then it's no big deal if it's a shade lighter or darker (though no more than one shade off). It's the pink with yellow or red-tan with gold-tan that I can't stand. If it isn't at least in the same ballpark area, I wouldn't consider it. I love hybrids these days as well, because it means I can get my dream dolls exactly the way I want them and extend certain characteristics of the character to the doll's body as well. I didn't like it much when I started though, I was a big time purist and I liked having the body and head from the same company. Other than that- proportion is quite important unless I've designed the character to be otherwise.

17. i tend to be a bit of a perfectionist so color matching has to be really close for me. also i use my dolls as marketing tools so i need them close because i don't want people turned off what they wear by an obvious mismatch 1. since some people are turned off by that and 2.it gives an uncommon perception that if i don't care about matching my doll maybe i don't care about the quality of my other stuff.

on the other hand if people mismatch their personal stuff that doesn't bother me 'cause it's there doll they can do what they like with it.

18. Just as I wouldn’t want a certain part of my body to have a different skin tone from the rest of my body, I’m very particular about resin matching. This is a personal preference nevertheless.

As long as it is not my doll, I don’t care if the size match/ resin matching is “off”. It’s the freedom of the doll owner.

19. for me resin matching is important, since I want to replace the hands with jointed ones and I have to make sure the resins are close enough especially when when it comes to tanned resins ^^

plus I'm picky ^^

20. After all, it's your doll...
      You can do whatever you want and besides, you cannot please anybody you know ^___~