1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is resin matching, really?

Aug 16, 2010

1. Well, I certainly wouldn't put a tan head on a "beauty white" body, but the match doesn't have to be 100% perfect. Not even human skin is a perfect match between the face and the body, most times.

As for size, that's a personal preference. I think putting too small a head on a larger body might look odd, but a larger head on a slightly smaller body can look very appealing. Not that I'm prejudiced or anything. *cuddles Chaeri lovingly*

2. How important is resin matching to you, personally? I can live with some differences between the skintones as long as they are hardly noticable and can be changed with face-up and/or blushing. I would say somewhere between important and not important, then ^^

How do you feel when you see someone else's doll on a body that doesn't match by size or resin? There are resin (mis)matches that look almost perfect in real life, but show in photos - in these cases, I don't like to look at the photo if the mismatch isn't somehow toned down (come on, there is photoshop for that in the worst case...). If the mismatch is obvious in real life too and the owner (or me, if it is my doll) is okay with that, it is out of some reason more okay for me. Maybe because the "hidden" mismatches have this "bad surprise"-quality to them.

Does it put you off or do you not notice/care at all? It doesn't really put me off, it just has to be handled properly in my opinion for the pics of the doll to look good ^^

3. For me, if I'm going to spend $500 on a doll I want him to match! XD

4. I, personally, strive to make a match work as best as I can, but proportion and body aesthetics will win out over color-matching, if it comes down to it. Miracles can be worked when you find an airbrush wizard, after all! But if the body looks wrong, or the proportions are WAY off, that would bug me more than if the color match was utterly perfect.

5. I think resin matching should be a personal thing and not judged, I like my resins to match as close as possible, I do have one hybrid that I purchased with slight resin difference but it doesn't bother me especially that she has a better body for posing.

6. When my girlfriends new Zaoll arrived each body part looked like a different shade of resin! Over time its become more noticeable, the hands, the torso and the face are all quite different but my girlfriend doesnt mind at all.

However I have an older cast of a Iplehouse SID body with a newer cast head and the slight resin difference really gets to me sometimes, I keep wanting to get her a new body but then again would the one I get be any closer? I could drive myself mad resin matching, Im quite obsessional about the little details. For me it is something that has to be spot on for my own dolls.

7. If I'm shelling out large cashes, they'd better match! A shade difference, I can deal with, a body blushing should take care of that. But, if I know it'd take heavier makeup to make it look 'normal', then I'd be a little agitated.
      This is just a personal preference, though. But, if I knew that the whole body was going to be covered in clothing, I could forgive it, too.

8. I try my best to have the resin matching. It just bothers me when it doesn't match, like if a human applied so much make up on them face and neck that it doesn't match the rest of their skin.

I only have one hybrid planned, and luckily, resin matching is possible, at least that's what I've gathered from research. (DoD and Dikadoll Pink)

I think if I wanted to make a hybrid, but everyone says its impossible, I would buy the body in white (if possible) and blush it to death. xD

So, I am willing to go through a lot of work to make resin match.

9. I'm more concerned about proportions than resin matching, so I don't mind if it's a little off. I think if it was very mismatched, I might be a little annoyed, but blushing helps.

10. I agree - that for the cost of these dolls they should match. If I were dealing with a bargain find I suppose I would not mind.

11. I try my best to make sure it matches but then again if you love it then who cares right? Its more about what you as a bjd collector find attractive than what others think. So do what feels right.

12. I have one hybrid and the head is about a year older than the body and much more yellow in my eyes. It really bugs me to look at her like this so I'm going to wash the face-up off soon (just waiting for new MSC) and blush the head to match the body before giving her another face-up.
      I was also very concerned at the beginning about how the neck would match her head and how it would look as a whole. That part worked out alright, though. ^^

13. I don't think it's as important as everyone makes it out to be, that's for sure. I'm doing a match pretty soon that isn't perfect, but I think with blushing it could get close! And it all depends on what you like--I guess I was conditioned by Pullips to not be weirded out by giant heads on tiny bodies, so there you go. (Tiny heads on massive bodies, on the other hand... :lol:)

14. Hybridizing is a personal choice. To me, I do try my best to get the resin colors similar enough so that it's not too jarring. If there is a color-difference, lucky me, I an always paint the head(Or body part) to match.

Though, I do try to stay with the same company when making my hybrids, or research other companies that have an option of choosing a similar color out of the many choices of resin colors they offer. Even then it's not always 100%.

I suppose that we'd do pretty much anything to get that "dream doll" perfect.

Edit: On the question of the OPs first question:

I think it really depends on what kind of collector you are.

If you are the kind of collector that needs to get everything fullset, a resin match (or even the very same company body, same year ect.) May be the most important to you. and I wish you luck on your search.

If you are a funds-conscious sort of collector, then inexpensive alternatives may or may not match resins. but that is part of the fun of creating hybrids, seeing what works and what doesn't. :)

15. I think when you buy a whole doll for so much money it has to match but if you're creating a hybride not so much because the clothes will often cover them anyway

16. If I buy a full doll from a company or off the marketplace, I would highly prefer the resin to match. I can understand something as buying a NS head, then tired of having a floating head and trying to find a NS body at a reasonable price before you can save up for a perfectly matching body. But to see a NS head on a WS body (for instance a NS MNF head on a WS BBB body) would annoy me a little, only for the fact I have a slight need for perfection with things. Imperfect is beautiful as well, though. If someone doesn't care their doll doesn't match, then I'll accept their dolly just as much as they do because they love their doll and it's what they like. I wouldn't be able to have my heads/bodies mismatched too bad, just as good as I could get them. :)

17. I'm okay with other people having resin that doesn't quite match, it doesn't bother me. I would just rather have resin that matches for my own dolls. The only thing that would bother me would be if the resin absolutely doesn't match, for example, a dark-skinned body and a normal-skinned head would just be strange and wouldn't make much sense unless the character had some sort of backstory that explained the phenomenon.

18. It has to be somewhat close, but not perfect. In fact, I have a 5star Tumnus I bought brand new and his head is a couple of shades darker and yellower than his body...that looked worse than most of my hybrids! @_@

Honestly, I'd rather have a slight resin mismatch than a body I hate or really bad proportions. I put my IslandDoll Kevin (26cm)'s head on a modded IMPLdoll 42cm body because I felt the head was just WAY too big for a 26cm doll...it was bigger than the IMPL MSD head! The neck was way too long, so I sanded it down and I like him much better now.

I have seen some really horrible matches, both in size and color, but ultimately, it's not my doll. If the owner is okay with it, then, while I might not like it, I don't have to look at it. I think it's a lot more important to like your own dolls than to go with something you don't like just because somebody else thinks you should.

19. Depending on the doll's character and their clothing is what depends on the colour matching with me.

I got my unicorn's head and hooves three years before I managed to secure him a body I could stand, and the body colour was meant to match the head and hoof shade perfectly (he is an AoD/Soom/LittleFee/Impldoll hybrid). Safe to say that his head and hooves did indeed yellow in this time, and the body colour doesn't match him at all, but the covering of his clothing is to such the extent that you'll never see it and the body works fine for him. He probably won't even match his original body colours now anyway, so I just leave him as he is.

However, on the other side, I bought a ResinSoul Song to play a character of mine called Daedre, and he is meant to be extremely beautiful, as if almost flawless. The doll was ordered without faceup or anything, but I am guessing the head and body were cast with different batches of resin, causing his head to be noticeably darker than his body. Thought nothing of it at first and just ignored it, but after a time I realised that it was seriously getting on my nerves, it was just really not right for the character purely due to a difference in the head and body shades. The doll has changed characters now, and I seem to prefer him as this new character and can easily gloss over it now, it is just something about it being that particular character for some reason.

As for different size head on body, I have a 72cm head (DollZone Cloud) on a 62cm body (Angel of Dream). You can tell that the head is much bigger if you look at the neck, the back of it gaps very much so...however, a wig completely covers it. The proportion works just fine, had people not even realise the head is for a 70cm as long as he has a wig on

20. How important is resin matching to you, personally? How do you feel when you see someone else's doll on a body that doesn't match by size or resin? Does it put you off or do you not notice/care at all?

I'll want resin to match but it doesn't have to be perfect. All my dolls are hybrids, except maybe my Lishe boy on delf body (same company, ordered at the same time), so I try not to be overly concerned with the match, or I'll be upset all the time. I do try to get them bodies that are known to be similar tone/resin though. I did end up buying another body for my worst matching boy, and I'm hoping it'll be a better match than his current body, so I guess to some extent it bothers me? Haha.

I'll notice, usually, if the resin match is off, but I won't say anything, because it's the owner's choice. If he/she is fine with the mismatch, it's none of my business. ^^