1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Important to You Is It That Your Doll be Absolutely Unique?

Mar 28, 2010

1. I think I agree with some of the people here. I do want my doll to be unique. I want people to be able to recognize my dolls when I post photostories of them...or perhaps just a picture of a new accessory I bought them upon sight. My friends and I own a few dolls in common. One of them is a DiM Aleksei...and they look NOTHING alike. They both have the default face up, but it was clearly done by two different artists. The resin is different...[One is newer than the other]. My boy is a red head while her's is a blonde. Sooo I think it doesn't matter if they are the same sculpt. I love the fact you can customize these dolls to look really different and seperate from one another. So you do end up with your own unique doll all the time. I select dolls for the sculpts...I made the mistake of falling in love with face-ups a few times. It ended in disaster.

And why...I don't think I have a why I want my own unique doll. Other than I think that my ideas and styling concepts are different than most people. So therefore I would hope that my doll would look different than some people. But I've been making friends on here with people who have similiar ideas. And maybe...I am hoping to become pen-pals and enjoy sending pictures back and forth. So I think that having a unique doll is inevitable in this hobby.

2. I think if you look at the meaning of the word "unique" it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that anyone has a UNIQUE doll.

There are only so many dolls out there of which only one was made.

That's what it means. UNIQUE means ONLY ONE.

******* Therefore, it is not important to me at all, because there is next to no chance that I will ever own a doll that is the only one of its kind.

Now, if you're asking how important it is that my doll be reasonably different from every other instance of x sculpt out there -- I like them to have my own stamp on them in some way, but it's not of that much importance to me. :)

3. *points* This.

You want a completely unique doll you need to sculpt it yourself.

4. While my sculpts are rather common, each of my dolls is unique by definition, because I paint them myself and dress them in hand-made outfits. It makes no difference which blank is used, as long as the customization is thorough and inventive. As far as being afraid my dolls are copied - I don't think that's ever going to happen, because anyone talented enough to make a perfect copy is most likely ambitious enough to design and implement their own original concepts. :)

5. I do want my dolls to be special to a certain extent. Sooner or later I get custom faceups for them all but that's about the whole extent of my quest for them to be different. The sculpts I have are pretty common, specially the Pukifees but I'm yet to see two Pukifees of the same sculpt that look identical. Every owner adds a new touch with wigs and clothing alone, not to mention if they do get/give them a special faceup or mods or something. My Pukifees still have their default faceups for now but that doesn't change the fact that for me they are special and unique and the most lovable resin creatures ever.

And eventually it boils down to this - I live with my dolls and the fact that someone across the world in Atlanta has the same doll doesn't really matter. At all. And locally I'm just thriving with the special department, there aren't many collectors in Estonia, only a few and to my knowledge none of us has the same sculpts. And frankly even if they did, it wouldn't matter to me. I guess being isolated has its advantages. I'm sure if I were to live in an area with huge doll meets, it would bother me if there were four PKF Zoes with default faceup around :lol:

6. i think dolls are unique to the owner. each is dressed a certain way and has a personaity that is unique i guess. i mean there are only so many sculps out there, unless you mod one yourelf

7. My first big doll, Yumiko, is a bog-standard Yukino "Image Character" Dollfie Dream. I still absolutely love her, and she's basically the roots of my entire dolly family. My Obitsu boy is Yumiko's boyfriend. My Mini Dollfie Dream Namiko is Yumiko's boyfriend's niece. I see other people with Yukinos that look just like Yumiko, but somehow or another she has *become* unique.

8. How important to you is it that your doll be absolutely unique?
      it's not.

Why?
      because i am in this hobby for my own enjoyment. something that someone else does could not affect my own experience. how could it? if they copied my doll exactly, that would be their business, and i would be glad they found something they could love. and what's more, i would understand the way they felt, because obviously i loved the same thing!

(on a side note, i don't think it's even possible for a doll not to be unique. even if 2 dolls were the same mold, same wig, same faceup done by the same artist, same clothes, etc., they would be owned by 2 completely unique individuals with 2 different brains, feelings, and ideas, and inevitably that would show in the dolls.)

9. doll should be unique for owner,but if somebody else think about them in the same way, it's really nice :)
      I don't really care what others thought about my doll (now I have only one *sniff*) 'cause this doll is for my own enjoyment, right? ;)
      so far, I don't thing about my own baby as a unique one :P and I don't need it

10. It's not really important that my doll's mold is unique. It is important that my doll's faceup is unique. I think it gives the doll it's character, which is why I don't really like company default faceups. I probably will only purchase a One-Off if it's a mold I'm sure I'd never get. Then I'd probably have the faceup wiped, unless I really really liked it. I'm into unique, but I don't think the mold is what gives the doll it's uniqueness, for me that's the faceup and always will be. So, yes a unique doll is important to me, but not a unique mold. :)

11. To me having a doll that is relatively uncommon is one of the joys of the hobby. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with having popular ones at all, I've even seriously considered getting a MNF Shushu. I think that after that it just encourages more creativity and sometimes I can't even tell popular moulds due to mods or such, and if I was skilled enough to do that sort of thing I would happily get a more common mold that I could truly make 'my own, and no one else's'. If that makes sense. 8'D
      It was one of the reasons that I bought my Luka - a relatively new mold that not many people have (and no one had at the time of my ordering, lol) and would be more unusual. That and I totally love his little face and hooves. :XD:

But again, to repeat a point that others have made, it can only really be unique if you made it yourself or if it is seriously a one of a kind only doll. And if you do have a doll that is truly, by dictionary defenition unique, then well done to you. =P

12. Well, it depends. Luken and Morgan - now, everyone can get those molds (or could, in Luken's case, since Unidoll Ark is now sold out and won't be back in stock). I like to see what other people do with their Arks and Akandos to make them look different/look the way they want them to look. Actually, I really LOVE Arks and can't get enough of them.

But as for Celaran ... He's my character I made up, the head's a Minimee, done after my design and thus, he's gonna be the only Celaran in existence world-wide. I got two heads, unless I break one, I won't order any more and I'm certainly not gonna sell him. Ever. That's how special THAT one is for me. ;)

13. Not unique persay, but certainly the most beautiful. Of course, I have no problem having a limited with some faceup that everyone else has. As long as the doll is the most beautiful one out there! Unfortunately, most of my characters are very attractive elves.

14. It doesn't matter to me one bit if my dolls is unique or not. I buy molds I like, popular or not. I put clothes I like on them, popular or not. I do wigs, face ups, piercings, tattoos, and what ever else, that i think suit them and that i like, again, popular or not.

I don't care if someone confuses my dolls with hundreds of others on this board, I think striking out to be unique is a mute point in this hobby. The only way you'd ever achieve it is with a OOAK doll. Else wise, someone else is always going to have a doll that you have as well. And most likely, someone else has that doll, and does things with it like you do.

So why not cut the uniqueness out of it and just do what you want with them :D

15. How important to you is it that your doll be absolutely unique?
      The doll that I'm about to purchase is a $660 doll which it's kinda expensive and it's rare to see people with the doll coz the doll is from a Taiwan company called Kui..but I'm willing to sacrifice my own pocket money which is about $30.83(RM 100)per week and if I save my pocket money for 4 months,it will be $493.29(RM 1600) in total..(There goes my lunch and dinner money~:...()
      Why?
      Coz I love the sculpt so much and plus I'm the type who wants my doll to be one-of-a-kind from other dolls and I also love to challenge myself to get the things that I desire by my own hands which I'm willing to get a part-time job to get my first doll.(Seriously,I have to get a job these days~:|)

16. I though face-up did that?
      I don't really care about have a limited or non-limited.
      All that matters if I can bond with my dollie :3

17. The sculpt - no.
      Because one way or another someone is going to have the same sculpt as me - unless I make it myself.
      But as for the exact style and face-up type - It's kinda important for me to have a unique look to him.
      But I wouldn't get mad if someone had a doll that looked similar , because my doll wil have a different personality.
      And He'll Be Full Of My Love ! Which is utterly unique ~~~

18. every doll is unique as far as i am concerned. even when a doll is part of a huge run, the face-up is always slightly different or one can commision a face-up that is like noone else's. it is the sculpt that i fall in love with, not its uniqueness.

19. I am working on saving for my first doll. I want her to look like a mini me, would be a good way to explain it. I think I am pretty unique and so do other people. At my high school I own a senior favorite for most unique (girl) and this year there were only a dozen categories with a girl and boy winner for each. Anyways, I stand out in a crowd because of my multi colored hair and my style. Since I want my doll to look like as much as I can, I hope she stands out just as much. Although, with the limited funding of a soon to be college student, it take some time to get her right. ;)

20. Hmm, this is an interesting one. On the one hand, there are only so many sculpts of doll in the world and so there's bound to be someone out there who has a similar doll to you.
      That said, I do try my damnedest to make mine unique, which might explain why they don't wear goth clothes - I love goth and all the people involved in it dearly but I see so many gothy dolls it's almost become a trope of the hobby. So I try to have them wear things I haven't seen other dolls wear. Of course, they're almost certainly not unique, but it's important to me that I've at least made the effort. :)