1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Important to You Is It That Your Doll be Absolutely Unique?

Mar 28, 2010

1. To me, having a unique-looking doll is very important. However, I wouldn't go so far as to obsess over the sculpt. As long as I am able to customize my doll, then I'm sure it will look unique! I might be a bit nit-picky on the face-up and blushing, though. I honestly believe that as long as you have a creative soul, your doll will stand apart.

2. This is quite interesting to me, I like to feel my dolls are different - but all but 1 have default factory faceups. I think it's what you do with their character, wig, eyes, clothes that make them stand out. I love all my girls as unique beings. That said I don't think I'd have two dolls of the same mold around... we'll see.

3. Can't remember if I posted here, but although I know my dolls aren't unique in their sculpts and whatnot, I try not to mimick a common look for the character as much as possible so that they'd be recognized enough that they are my characters/dolls, especially considering I'm working a manga on them ^^ if I can ever get my butt in gear on it lol For example, I'm waiting on two dolls, one I know will have a fairly "generic" common look/style because she's a traditional (or more traditional) looking japanese girl when she's in her human form and in her bakeneko form, she looks like a near typical catgirl. That's just her character. She will have her own unique look about her since I'm going to do her faceup.
      The other I'm waiting on will be a mermaid (once all her parts get to me) and she has her default faceup and I had this idea of giving her a pink wig and lavendar eyes etc, with her pink mertail... I browse the gallery to see what other folks have done with the same sculpt and come to find someone already had a similar idea, not using the same style or parts, but same concept. Also alot of folks seem to favor pink wigs and purple eyes for this sculpt O.o;; So that blew my idea out of the water (excuse the pun :P) So right now I'm trying to figure what to make her hair color into and have a couple to decide between, but I'm thinking I'm close to having my decision made lol Although I normally don't let what others do with their dolls effect what I do with mine, I was more or less indecisive with her looks which was why I allow myself to have it influence of my decisions some.
      So is it important to have a unique look? To some extent, yes. But I don't fret too much over it since you can only have so many looks anyways :3

4. I don't really care about having the most unique little dolls around. I don't even bother developing personalities and names for mine honestly. I just buy them, face-up them as I see em if they need it, and then it's time for pictures and cuddles. If I was worried about making sure my doll was the most unique then it would just stress me out and I wouldn't be able to enjoy them as much. That kind of pressure just seems silly to me.

5. Very important. I've always been one for being different, having dolls that all look alike with plain Jane personalities gets very boring and makes it difficult to bond.

6. Me personally, I'm somewhere in the middle. My two Isaos have their default faceups and, while their wigs and eyes change, they can look similar to other Isaos that have the default faceup, and I think that's pretty cool! I always like to get in touch with Isao owners and share the love; when I was first starting out in the hobby, grey_roses and I had bought our Isaos at about the same time, and they looked pretty damn similar, but with the different eyes/wigs/clothes we put on them they had a "we're somehow related, but are completely different" feel to them.

On the other hand, I have an FCS, who is completely unique. I haven't seen one like him ever, and that's also fun.

Really, I feel like it's the "if you wear the same shirt as me, I can't wear mine again," argument. If you like the shirt (in this case doll) as it is, then keep it. If you don't, you can either customize it or give it to charity, but getting upset when someone has the same doll/look as you or customizing a doll just because you don't want anyone else out there to have the same look as you seems strange to me.

7. Obvoiusly I don't want to look like I'm copying someone else's doll, but once a character looks a certain way in my head, I can never change it. Even if I see a nearly identical doll and am all like 'FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTHATWASMYIDEANOWEVERYONEWILLTHINKI'MCOPYING' I'm still not gonna change my doll.

8. How important to you is it that your doll be absolutely unique?

I'd rather it fit the style I have in mind for it than it be a "special snowflake".

Why?

It's mine. I don't care what others end up doing with their's unless it's destroyed. It can be a positive thing to want something no one else has... I take Mendokusai's patchwork Pipos cat Buttons ( the mold escapes me ) that's totally unique in my eyes. When someone does something totally unique with a rather common doll, it always amazes me and makes it unforgettable in my opinion. Someone did a Pipos Mac hybrid with a Bambicrony body, I don't care for anthro's but this one was awesome and unique too! Mod jobs done right.

9. How important to you is it that your doll be absolutely unique?

It's not.

Why?

If I get one doll, and my friend likes my doll, and gets the same doll, that's alright with me. The thing about these dolls is that they're fully customizable, and easily can look like a myriad of different things. Just because they get the same doll as me doesn't mean she's going to totally copy mine. She may copy my idea a little, like get the same eyes or wig, but it's not the same doll.

She might be into the whole Gothic Lolita fashion for her doll, but I'm into having my doll in regular clothes. Maybe she wants her doll to cross-dress, and I'd never dream of putting my boy doll in a dress (which is true).

So, it's really easy to have a unique doll, whether you want to or not.

10. As long as I get my doll to look how I want, I'm happy. If she ends up looking like others it's not a huge deal, she's still my beloved doll and I made her look that way for my own reasons. I used to say I hated a lot of things because they were popular and it was a miserable time in my life. It's nice to have things in common with people sometimes, and even if we have things in common, we have differences too. Even if two people did their dolls up and they looked similar, the feeling they wanted to portray with that image or the characters story if they have one, could be totally different. The obsession with 'unique' and one of a kind is over done to me.

11. Well... I feel kind of bad, but I'm new to the hobby and I kind of want my first doll to be special. So when I went to my friends house and showed her the doll I was looking at getting and she immediately wanted one to and for some reason that got on my nerves. I think though it was more that she kind of immediately gave him the identity of one of her characters and ignored that I had wanted to get him. Like even if I got him and she didn't he would still be her character.
      I don't know, but it made me change my mind about getting him.

12. personally i do not care if my doll is unique or not. as long as I like it :)
      IRL (and probably here too with dolls) there are the kind of people who want to do like everyone else to be accepted or on the opposite, those who want to provoque and be unique at any cost (i have a friend like that)... and its something I do not understand....
      just be/have what you like. it doesnt matter if everyone have the same or if NO ONE have it and think you're weird for having it.
      :/
      the only time it would bug me that someone (i'm relatively close to) want the same thing as me, is if she/he had it before me....

13. I really don't care -- I buy the dolls I buy because they work for me, and I style them to way I do because that's what works for their characters. I don't care who other people own or what they do with their dolls. Besides, bjds of the same mold, even if they wear similar styles are never going to be completely identical to one another. It just seems like a pointless thing to worry about.

14. I had been searching for two years to find a BJD that I thought resembled me the most. So I could make a time capsule of myself...I think I am uniquely made ;) as I think my doll will turn out to be. But the reality is there are other people that look similar to me and such will be with my doll :P It is ok becasue I think we are all sooo unique but we are very much the same......and it is beautiful! I know kinda sappy but it is true.

15. It doesn't really bother me if someone has the exact same sculpt (highly likely) and all the same clothes (less likely as I make quite a bit myself) and then styles them the same with wigs and eyes, etc... my dolls are all basics of popular-ish sculpts and there's nothing too different about my styling so I guess it's inevitable. I have only seen a handful of dolls on DOA/Flickr that I would say are real stand-out unique, while I highly admire them I don't want them. My dolls and me live in our own little bubble and they change to reflect my moods and current tastes. It's presumably the same with everyone else.

16. I like my dolls to be unique, but this is not the main goal. The main goal is to create an unique personality within the doll. Though, my dolls are customized to death in the end (especially Byul who went through a lots of modding), and that is because of my personal preferences, not because of the sake of uniqueness. I wanted my Byul look more European while she had a very nice and realistic Asian face so I did my best to change her race.

Actually different wig, eyes and faceup are pretty enough to make the doll unique. I even saw an examples when 2 dolls with factory faceup, the same wigs and eyes looked differently. Owner puts a lot of personality into the doll and that feels somehow.

But if you want a really unique LE OOAK doll - make it by yourself))) Simple as it is.

17. I look for uniqueness, but it doesn't have to be 100% unique!

I'm sure then when I bought my dollfie, many others have her sculpt, but how I customize will be completely different.
      Also I keep in mind that I'm more interested in picking what I want, not necessarily what's unique. So if what I happen to pick is not the most unique thing, I don't mind.

18. I guess this doesn't really matter to me. I am buying a doll second hand that already has a faceup and a personality, but I know when she comes to me she will have the personality that I want her to have. I fell inlove with her faceup and the way that she was, so it didn't matter to me that the doll was designed for someone else. I do like having Madison look a little different, my Ani girl, but thats only because I want her to stand out a little.

19. I like to have unique dolls but it's not a huge issue to me. I actually found a doll of the same sculpt with the same name (Puki Pongpong named Puck) and style as mine and instead of being angry or embarrassed I just smiled and said 'aww, he's so cute.' I think some distinctive sculpts like Pongs tend to lend themselves better to certain personalities. I can't imagine a Pong being anything besides a cute troublemaking kid.

20. Personally i think its more important what you think of your doll. For example i've picked out what doll i want for my first. i'm going to buy the full set with the default face-up and everything. even if its something lots of people can/do have when i first saw his pictures a whole personality popped into my head and it was love at first sight! XD so even if he's pre-designed hes still my own creation in the ways that matter. And even if its the full set i will probably add little things here and there that just make him who he is. even if someone has the exact same thing the personalities and importance to each owner is not the same.