1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Important to You Is It That Your Doll be Absolutely Unique?

Mar 28, 2010

1. If you want to get philosophical and technical, you need to do nothing to ensure uniqueness--it's guaranteed. You have doll X(#1), I also have doll X(#2). Your doll X lives and plays with you and my doll X lives and plays with me. Unique!

If you want to get philosophical and cynical, you can only say "make your own" because any commercially produced sculpt will have copies and derivatives. To be hardcore cynical, you'd have to make a non-human/elf/whatever doll since those are sooooooo done before. To be depressingly cynical, you wouldn't try since it's impossible to make something free of influences.

(Nerd tangent: the implication of Cylons having 12 models of humans is that they looked at humans as a species and said, "Eh, there's really only 12 different ones of you anyway.")

Me, I prefer character dolls, so uniqueness is pretty much thrown out the window right away. Makes it easy to say that I don't worry about this sort of thing. "How unique? What does unique mean? How can I be sure of uniqueness?"

Much ado about nothing, IMO. Save yourself the stress and love the dolls you have! :aheartbea

2. :lol:Battlestar Galactica reference, very nice. and i completely agree, just be thankful you have the opportunity to even own such a wonderful thing!

3. No dolls look like mine, and I am sure for that most are grateful.
      Seriously, I don't care about rare, but I do feel as if some dolls have a little more soul than others.
      Sometimes it is fun though to have the same sculpt, as your touch will make them that much more different.

4. For me, I really want it to be unique if I could afford one, but seeing as I don't have one, it wouldn't matter if it was unique or not.

5. Having a unique looking doll isn't important to me. I think it'd be cool to run into someone with the same doll as me, though I probably wouldn't notice at first because different people really do have different looking dolls no matter what, lol. On the inside, my doll would always be unique to me right from the beginning because she'd be mine! I really think that wether or not you like and bond with the doll is more important than how unique or rare they are.

6. I want my doll to stand out from others of the same mold by the styling and accessories I pick for him. The doll I chose is coming with the default face-up because I really liked it and it's very similar to something I wold have chosen myself so wigs, clothing and such will be very important to individuality.
      However, I notice that the doll I am getting is pretty much absent from these boards and I have a very difficult time finding owner pics of him online. That is both a joy and a concern for me. I like the fact that I will have a doll that few people have, and yet I wonder why others don't see the beauty in him that I see. :P

7. I have a coffee Sprite and my best friend has a white skin Sprite. We ordered them at the same time and they came in the same box. Hers is mature and mine is not. Those things differentiate them from the get-go, but the face-ups and styles we gave them were both radically different as well. They don't look like the same sculpt at all.

Pick any Database thread at random and you'll see that the mold is just the starting point-the finished dolls all look so very different and unique! So yes, it's important to me that my dolls be fully realized versions of my unique visions, but I don't stress about it.

8. I don't care about my doll being some kind of super limited edition or anything. I also don't care that the sculpt I like is also somewhat popular. There are so many ways to customize, that it would be hard to have exactly the same doll as someone else anyway. ;)

Besides, if I like it, why does it matter if someone else does too? That just means we have a common interest. :)

9. I like having unique dolls, but then again, I think we all do to some aspect.
      However, I don't think we need to find that uniqueness solely within the sculpt.
      So, while it is important to me to have a unique looking doll, I think it's more about the whole package, and not just the sculpt itself.
      I couldn't care less if people have the same sculpt doll as me, use the same colour combination for wig/eyes, etc.
      Almost all of my dolls have custom faceups and clothing, on top of the sculpt, wig and eyes, and that's unique enough for me.

10. How important to you is it that your doll be absolutely unique?
      Not really important. I have two dolls right now. And mold wise they're not rare at all.
      Now for story I dont know if there is a Child Joker out there, but there probably is.
      And for the second, the story came from the top of my head from a bunch of ideas I might have leached from stories I've read.

I like character dolls. They are never super unique. They aren't ment to.
      Just depends on how close the doll looks like the character.
      I have seen some character dolls and wanted to do the same character,
      so sence there could possibly be many different molds for that doll, they are the same.

11. It never occurred to me to be bothered by this. Every doll IS unique, provided you get your own faceup, wigs, eyes, clothes, etc.

I do find it a little odd when people get dolls exactly as displayed on the website (eyes, wig, outfit, face, etc), because the owner doesn't express any of their own creativity in the doll. But maybe that is not the reason all people get dolls, maybe some people prefer to admire the intact creativity of the doll artists.

12. I honestly love the thought of having really unique dolls, though by simply giving your doll a unique character and whatnot makes that doll different from any other. I mean, it might take a while to get the dolls to the state of customization that you want it to be at, but I really think that if you truly love your doll, you'd put effort into making it different from everyone else's of the same mold.

13. I'm not worried that someone else has the same exact mold and whatnot (I have an El with dark hair and dark eyeliner). Mine sits on my shelf, theirs is someplace at their house. I'd be more annoyed if someone copied one of my paintings ;)

14. I feel it would be pretty important for my doll to have a personality and be unique in its own way...that doesn't mean I'm going to get nit-picky with the mold and whatnot. I understand that a lot of people want their doll to be number 1 but to be totally unique to their style and etc. But the fact of the matter is, there's going to be that one person who happens to LOVE everything you do as well and even if the doll has a different mold, it could potentially look alike. But I understand as to why people would want a unique doll, and I see it as they don't want to feel their doll was a waste of money; they went through the trouble of saving up and buying it and giving it a complex history but they don't want it to become another "Lame Jane, Mary Sue" that doesn't have a personality and is just like every other doll.

15. I don't think it to be extremely important but it is somewhat important to me.
      I would love to have a doll that no one else has. Custom to my tastes and such.

16. I don't think anyone would mistake one of my dolls for someone else's. LOL

17. Well it isn't important to me if my doll is completely unique. I'll make him look how i wish to suit my fancy. However, the type of sculpt really doesn't seem to matter in this hobby, because several people with the same sculpt will have dolls that look NOTHING alike. I definitely know this since I've been searching, almost religiously, for owner photos of the LUTS Abadon. No two have really looked the same, unless they were the LE Blue Knight.

18. I think limited edition dolls are quite spectacular and all but it does not necessarily trump them over regular dolls. As everyone else has been saying, it is up to the owner and their happiness with the doll. I recently looked up and found some Dolkot Beras here and it did not diminish my want for her at all! ^-^ Each of them had their own unique look and mood. It made me really happy to see she had been bought by other people as well.
      I guess my take is kinda like, oh! we have the same ____ , I like your taste and we would get along great! Similar to making friends with people who share your same interests but that person could never be you.

19. How important to you is it that your doll be absolutely unique?
      Its very important, and very frustrating. Because, even though each doll is unique, there will probably always be at least one doll out there that shares ONE thing with yours. Whether its the make, the wig, the eyes, the face, the clothing style, the back-story.
      In the end I just go for what I like best about a character, because if I constantly tried to make a ABSOLUTELY unique doll, it would take up too much time and effort.

Why?
      Its fun to know that your doll is special, and fun to see people enjoy the doll because of its unique-ness.

20. It is quite important to me that my doll is unique. A bit of the motivation behind me buying a Delf Jess was that not many people seemed to have one. Since I'd wanted a BJD since middle school (and I'm now twenty) I'd definitely had ideas of what I'd want once I had the financial backing. I'd always wanted a Shiwoo. By the time I had the money....Shiwoos were everywhere. And I was worried that no matter what I did, I wouldn't have the money to completely customize mine and it would most certainly come out looking like somebody else's. It seems like now, I'm just more drawn to the less popular dolls. Even if I'm unaware that they aren't so popular. (Part of me still wants a Shiwoo, though. >_<)